Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Went and looked at a used Savage today (Read 6 times)
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Re: Went and looked at a used Savage today
Reply #15 - 02/27/06 at 20:16:44

For somebody to sell a non-running bike this time of the year will be very hard. You have a very good oprtunity to get the bike pretty cheap. Also check the dealer price for the battery- it will be closer to $60 than to $40.
Full tune runs aprox. $150-180. Carb. clean in a shop- 1.5 X $/hr.
If this guy brings his bike in a shop to have it brought to "perfectly looking and running" condition , he is looking at ball park of $400. On top of this, he has to , spend money for an add and waste more time dealing with potential customers.
You are right there with money in Your hand.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 02/27/06 at 20:56:25

Thanks for the heads up on the prices, slavy.

Not sure where I got the battery price. BikeBandit has it for $50. And I didn't consider shipping charges.

On the carb - called the suzuki dealership closest to home. They quoted $95 to have a carb taken apart, cleaned, and re assembled. I didn't ask about a full tune-up.

Tim

IP Logged
chriss

Reply #17 - 02/28/06 at 00:08:49

3000 miles on a 02 is like its brand new. I have a 02 in perfect condition, not even a scratch and it has almost 16,000 on it. no leaks at all and no blueing of the pipe. I wouldnt sell it if I had to take less than $2,800 for it. $3,000 might be a bit high, but you did say it came with extras, and extras for this bike is not cheap. By the way, if the battery is even just a bit low, it will not start. try this, roll it down a hill in second gear. pop the clutch and it should start right up

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 02/28/06 at 07:39:20

I'm more of the opinion that something is worth what you're willing to pay. There will be people that tell you one thing or another, but the range you're considering seems reasonable, and what's important is that YOU are comfortable with the cost, or the ride.  

I, personally, would not buy something for that much money that wasn't running, despite the low mileage. Would it be worth it to you to pay to have the bike picked up by a stealership, and paying to have the carb tuned or new battery installed so you could get it started and then subtract those costs from the seller's price? You would have some kind of agreement to purchase if it starts and is okayed by the mechanic. Kind of like buying a house where the furnace needs replacing and the cost is subtracted from the price. I think you'll really like the Savage as a first post-MSF bike.

IP Logged
Grant Inge

Reply #19 - 02/28/06 at 11:43:31

yea i agree, it worth what sombody will pay. but keep in mind I payed  1500 2 weeks ago for a 96. its not perfect. but its got all the after market stuff i wanted, and it runs great... Im painting it soon, i work at  a body shop so i can paint it  for next to nothing... ill  try and keep you posted....  how can i post pics..?

IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 02/28/06 at 13:08:15

D*mn. The owner called to say he got it running... Sad

Ah well. He definitely deserves what he can get for it. I'm going by tomorrow to negotiate...  8)

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #21 - 02/28/06 at 17:59:03

just go buy the dar thing.   Grin

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #22 - 02/28/06 at 18:57:33

TJ watchout for that Sluggo dude he made me buy a 3rd bike right before Christmas - even twisted my virtual arm I tell you.  that's my story and I'm sticking to it

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 02/28/06 at 18:58:30

You can't go get it tonight? We are ready to hear all about it.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #24 - 03/01/06 at 12:43:08

ok so now it's tomorrow - you went and got it right?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #25 - 03/01/06 at 12:49:09

He's probably out riding it and playing hookey.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/01/06 at 13:24:39

D*mn... Savage_Rob's got ESP or sumethin.....

Went and look at it again today. Just like the owner said - he got it running. It was running and in the driveway when I got there. I asked him if it started well when warm. He shut it off, and started it right up again.

There's more gold on the exhaust than I could see when it was in the barn.

So here's the specs:
2002 Savage.
2900 miles
Windsheild
Saddlebags
bike cover

$2,400   Grin

Oh - and the specs on me:
35, wife, 2 small kids.
0 riding miles under my a$$
Dad used to take me for rides on his '75 Honda CB750 all the time when I was a kid. It was the only way to get to soccer practice! He just traded a Harley sportster 1200 for a GoldWing.

I'm taking the MSF Beginning rider course this weekend. A new bike aquaintance is going with me to pick the bike up in his trailer next weekend.

I'm thinking of holding off on the carb & exhaust mods until this winter. They say most bike accidents by newbies occur because they lose control of the bike. Apparently many of these accidents happen on bikes with more gumption than a newbie should be on in the first place.

I figure I'll keep it underpowered until my riding improves. Then I'll just improve the bike instead of trading for something else.

Not bad for a days work.  8)

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #27 - 03/01/06 at 13:38:46

Nice Job !!  You got a great deal too...  Its a new bike !!  Good thinking to leave it alone till you get some time under your  A$$.......    Way Cool  congrats !!   Remember you have 2 kids to raise so take it easy and be safe !!

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #28 - 03/01/06 at 15:54:39

Great start- after msf, ride and ride some more..don't bother with much in the way of
modifcations..concentrate on developing your riding skills.  If you still love it come Fall, and 1K miles or so..then plan yur mods, save your money and make big hints around XMas time..Just think, a whole new area of Xmas gifts your fam can work on getting you. Cheesy
So if you get it, and the price doesn't seem too out of line given bags and windshield, let us know.

IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 03/01/06 at 16:03:10

Quote:
So if you get it, and the price doesn't seem too out of line given bags and windshield, let us know.

I guess I wasn't clear. I bought it! 8)

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 15:21:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Went and looked at a used Savage today

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.