Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Maybe I don't try hard enough (Read 7 times)
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Maybe I don't try hard enough
03/02/06 at 07:44:59

OK so the Savage isn't a sports bike.  However, when reading through one of the many threads on exhaust mods I find in Jim R's tale of dual pipes the following reply to a question as to whether his lean angle was now reduced or whether the pegs touch down first.  Jim, you said "Its the pegs, we tested".  Are you having us on as no matter how enthusiastically I weave The Lettuce through the twisties I'm yet to scrape anything  before my nerve gives out.  My '97 is on Dunlop Qualifiers which look just right but do not have rounded edges like sportsbike tyres.  

So, fellow Savages, are you all getting those pegs down and its just me that's a bit of a wuss?  Undecided

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Maybe I don't try hard enough
Reply #1 - 03/02/06 at 08:48:58

my pegs where pretty torn up from draggin'em ,its not to hard to drag them ,really,especially on slanted up hill curves. but regular roads u shouldn't have to drag them.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #2 - 03/02/06 at 15:25:57

Salad_Shaker wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
....I weave The Lettuce through the twisties I'm yet to scrape anything  before my nerve gives out...

I've touched a peg down once in 15 months/6000 miles -- as I was avoiding something which was too minor to remember.  I ride well below the capabilities of the motorcycle.  This way, when (not if) I run into a situation, I have wiggle room -- I can alter my line in or out and/or brake while in the curve.  The pegs fold upward when they touch -- you still have some wiggle room when you are at the just starting to scrape point.  I just prefer more.  

I like options.  I don't like commitments.

WWW   IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 03/02/06 at 16:07:37

What I should have said was my mufflers do not restrict my lean any and they do not drag.   With my front tire being so bald I am very VERY cautious when I ride.  I guess if I wreck mine I won't be able to afford a moped or even the hospital bill  Shocked

I will say the mufflers cut down on the noise a tiny bit.

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #4 - 03/02/06 at 16:14:48

I have a sportbike and I haven't ever dragged a peg  Undecided

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 03/02/06 at 17:04:55

I drag'um now and then, it will get your atten the first time

wow now some on the sport bikes I've been on you'd d@mn near scrape the tank about time the peg hit as they're only 6 inches below your arse

IP Logged
magicfairy
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 03/05/06 at 14:20:04

I get to scrape my pegs on average once a week! And I don't ride fast or lean over hard. Getting used to it now, gave me a real fright the first time

In the weekends I usually go on some sort of organised ride (between 2 and 20 of us, on a mixture of bikes) over our local "bikers racetrack" known as the "Rimutakas" which is a 13K climb up and down, all twisty with some pretty sharp turns. (Claims on average at least one bike a week, sports bike riders testing their limits usually)

I'm very lucky to live in NZ, some of  the best motorcycling roads in the World.

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 03/06/06 at 00:34:56

I sure hope its only a bike it claims per week and not the rider.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 03/06/06 at 03:48:47

I like spirited riding, running it hard when appropriate, and I love curvy roads, but I do not like to push the mechanical limits of the machine.  I spent too many years in military aviation where pushing the limits of a machine can make for an immiate life threatening situation.  You must absolutely know the limits of the machine, and know your own limits as well, or you will die.  It is one thing trying to "ride the rail" of those limits (or even bend them out of shape on occasion) in combat when lives are on the line, but quite another when out for an afternoon's ride on bike.  Like Paladin, I leave room for the unexpected, and plan ahead for excape routes in the event something happens.

I would love to go the Kevin Schwantz racing school sometime to learn some skills, I have heard that a lot of those skills can be transferred directly back to street riding, making you a better all around rider and safer too.  Not having to worry about traffic when trying to run it hard like that would be a huge difference.  The school is not far from here so maybe in the not too distant future...

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 03/06/06 at 03:59:49

If peg dragging is all motorcycle riding is about, then I might as well get rid of my bike.  Riding is about being on two wheels and seeing the ride from a different perspective than one would see it in a car.  I don't get into the other stuff -- I could even care less if I ever lay eyes on Deals Gap or not!  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 03/06/06 at 06:21:10

I suppose it's not a "common" occurrence for me but it's not rare either.  In fact, I just scuffed the left peg making a U-turn this morning.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #11 - 03/06/06 at 06:52:06

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
If peg dragging is all motorcycle riding is about, then I might as well get rid of my bike.

well your going to have to learn to drag your peg,at some point. its for your saftey as well as others.like if a car pulls out in front of you and you swerve to try to miss it, but u drag your peg and freak out,forgeting about the car. if u dont hit the car,and still crash, you'll be veerrrrrrrryyyy embarassed,that u didn't know how to handle your bike. Embarrassed

its just like u have to know how to handle your car,like when it's raining and u have to make a 90 degree turn onto another road,and your back wheels break traction and u start sliding.u simply let of the gas,and turn the wheels they way your sliding.you must know how to correct your small mistakes on or in any vehicle,or motorcycle.

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 03/06/06 at 07:07:33

I hadn't thought of it as a safety issue, more a question of bravado and bragging, my dad's bigger than your dad kind of thing.  You know, I got the pegs down, Well I got my knee down, We'll I got my elbow down. Don't laugh, if you ever saw Christian Saron go past Kevin Schwantz (or was it Freddie Spencer?) you'd know what I mean.  Its not so much that I want to push the limits more that I'd rather know where they lie.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/06/06 at 12:22:27

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
well your going to have to learn to drag your peg,at some point. its for your saftey as well as others.like if a car pulls out in front of you and you swerve to try to miss it, but u drag your peg and freak out,forgeting about the car. if u dont hit the car,and still crash, you'll be veerrrrrrrryyyy embarassed,that u didn't know how to handle your bike. Embarrassed

its just like u have to know how to handle your car,like when it's raining and u have to make a 90 degree turn onto another road,and your back wheels break traction and u start sliding.u simply let of the gas,and turn the wheels they way your sliding.you must know how to correct your small mistakes on or in any vehicle,or motorcycle.

This has nothing to do with my not knowing how to drag a peg.  I can drag a peg just fine.  I prefer to care for my equipment better than that though.  I can navigate tough circumstances just fine.  If the peg drags then -- fine.  But to do it just to do it?  Nope.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #14 - 03/06/06 at 12:31:23

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
This has nothing to do with my not knowing how to drag a peg.  I can drag a peg just fine.  I prefer to care for my equipment better than that though.  I can navigate tough circumstances just fine.  If the peg drags then -- fine.  But to do it just to do it?  Nope.
well i dont think anybody "tries" to scrape there pegs for no reason.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 07:29:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Maybe I don't try hard enough

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.