Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trouble installing Supertrapp (Read 2 times)
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Trouble installing Supertrapp
03/01/06 at 05:00:57

The swedge seems to be about an inch short.  I'm installing it on my 2002 Savage,  There was absolutely no space for the graphite gasket.  I am in contact with Supertrapp.  Dynobob, what year is your Savage?

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Trouble installing Supertrapp
Reply #1 - 03/01/06 at 05:22:01

It's a 2003. I didn't use the original gasket. Just some high temp silicone. I also cut some off the end of the header pipe so the mount would line up.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #2 - 03/01/06 at 05:23:34

bikingb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
The swedge seems to be about an inch short.

What does this mean ?

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #3 - 03/01/06 at 18:46:58

Bik  Is this a new s- trap or is it a used pipe ?  I cant wait to hear how you like it... It would be my choice of pipes but funds dont merit one yet

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #4 - 03/01/06 at 18:55:39

I seem to remember from Bert's German forum that in some cases the head pipe was configured differently by Suzuki in the early years of this century. You can use a hack saw to cut part of the smaller diameter inner pipe off to allow it to go further into the SuperTrapp w/o damaging anything. We did that on my B-i-L's 87 to get the adapter for a HD XL muffler to fit. Also I think it is important to start with a new head to pipe gasket and head pipe to ST if it is used. I can't remember if I used the pipe to muffler one when I ran a ST, it was many exhaust attempts ago. The ST is nice and looks good plus the design of the expanding taper is supposed to help with torque. I just had a chance to do someting different and am pleased with it. Sluggo is supposed to get the ST whenever he comes by.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #5 - 03/01/06 at 19:06:23

Maybe Sluggo and I need to do some arm wrestling behind the restarant out by the dumpsters.....  maybe I will wait till he is meeeellooww.........................

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #6 - 03/02/06 at 05:38:13

My bike is a 2002 so the idea of the earlier years and their designs won't exactly work.  The "swedge"  is the area on the ST that expands to fit on to the original head pipe of the bike.  Either it is too short or the headpipe is too long.  From what I gather, it is common practice to cut off the headpipe and inch so that the Supertrapp will fit snug.  That makes me nervous. (Cutting the headpipe.)  

I talked to a customer service guy from ST and he said I should not have to cut it off.  He seemed really surprized that I would be having a problem fitting it.  The ST is significantly lighter than the original muffler (massive understatement).  I have some concerns about quality.  If I cut off the headpipe and attach the ST and then decide I don't like it, then I have to get a new headpipe to the tune of about $200.  

Also, when I talked to one of the service guys at the dealership, his opinion was that the ST was just for looks and sound and didn't influence performance that much.  What do you folks think about that????  I think we have probably covered that.  I have already done the re-jetting 152.5 and 1/2 of the white spacer.  I'm under the impression that I need to change my muffler or go back to the original jetting.  

Wish I could really ride right now to tell the difference.  It is snowy and icy outside.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
bikingb   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 03/02/06 at 06:14:25

My bike is a 2002 so the idea of the earlier years and their designs won't exactly work.  The "swedge"  is the area on the ST that expands to fit on to the original head pipe of the bike.  Either it is too short or the headpipe is too long.  From what I gather, it is common practice to cut off the headpipe and inch so that the Supertrapp will fit snug.  That makes me nervous. (Cutting the headpipe.)

I didn't take an inch off. Maybe 1/2", if that. Just until the mounting hole lined up. It was not easy to cut. It's several layers laminated together. If I had to do it again I would use a grinder (and keep the pipe cool).

Quote:
I have some concerns about quality.  If I cut off the headpipe and attach the ST and then decide I don't like it, then I have to get a new headpipe to the tune of about $200.

I think the quality is excellent. The baffles and interior are easily accessable by removing the disks. No need to return to stock. One could go from the Trapp to any of the other aftermarket mufflers easily.

Quote:
Also, when I talked to one of the service guys at the dealership, his opinion was that the ST was just for looks and sound and didn't influence performance that much.  What do you folks think about that????

Nonsense. My bike flies with the Supertrapp and sounds great too. It feels like a different bike. Stock it ran like cr@p. Now it runs incredibly strong. I would never want to return to the stock muffler. I really like my Supertrapp. It fits really well after taking a little off the end of the header pipe.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 03/02/06 at 06:21:26

Also, when I talked to one of the service guys at the dealership, his opinion was that the ST was just for looks and sound and didn't influence performance that much.

Yet another person working at a dealership that knows very little about bikes. It makes a HUGE difference in performance.

BTW, I run a 157.5 main jet.

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #9 - 03/02/06 at 09:13:20

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I didn't take an inch off. Maybe 1/2", if that. Just until the mounting hole lined up. It was not easy to cut. It's several layers laminated together. If I had to do it again I would use a grinder (and keep the pipe cool).

How would you keep the pipe cool while grinding?  

Thanks for the comments on performance.  Cool!!  

Dynobob,
I know you have a bigger main jet than I do, I don't care that much about the top end.  It is not really important for me to be able to go 100 mph. I am under the impression that a bigger main jet effects top end performance the most.  Besides, I don't feel much like taking it all apart again.  Even though the main jet was the easiest part of the job.

bikingb   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #10 - 03/02/06 at 09:30:17

How would you keep the pipe cool while grinding?

Just wrap a wet towel around it.

If you replaced the bowl screws with stainless allen heads the main jet is very easy to change. You don't even need to take off the tank.

You don't want to go too lean - it's not good for your bike. I wouldn't go any smaller than a 155 with the Supertrapp. My bike works very well with the 157.5. Good performance and good gas mileage.

Edit: spelling

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #11 - 03/02/06 at 09:41:52

If you replaced the bowl screws with stainless allen heads the main jet is very easy to change. You don't even need to take off the tank.

I did replace the bowl screws with the stainless allen heads.  It should be pretty easy.  What about the main jet and the upper end performance piece of my question?  Is the main jet for overall ratio of air to gas?   The bigger the jet, the richer the mix?  Or does it have more to do with the upper end?

bikingb   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #12 - 03/02/06 at 09:47:25

What about the main jet and the upper end performance piece of my question?  Is the main jet for overall ratio of air to gas?   The bigger the jet, the richer the mix?  Or does it have more to do with the upper end?

While the main jet meters from 3/4 to full throttle, it does have some affect on the mid range too (where the needle meters).

If you're too lean on the main jet and you twist the throttle at any speed, you could be dangerously lean. This can burn valves and hole your piston top. For a cheap piece that is very easy to change I think it's a no brainer.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 03/02/06 at 09:58:42

Carburetors 101 in the Tech Ref forum has a lot of good info on carbs.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 05:29:23

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Trouble installing Supertrapp

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.