Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The Death of a Savage (Read 21 times)
tankerblaze
Ex Member

The Death of a Savage
03/01/06 at 01:44:28

Hey savages,

I'm starting to REALLY feel Torque's pain, unfortunately my savage has suffered much the same fate as his. At least I hadn't installed most of the aftermarket parts I've received in the last 2 months including my seeger controls and new Dunlop tires

My 2001 Savage, 11,656.8 miles threw the rod right through the crankcase on Monday. I was riding up a back-route near Highway 9 in the Santa Cruz mountains, doing about 45 in 4th gear when it blew. Fortunately for me, when it went, the bike went one way I went another into some bushes. Sadly, not much of the bike survived as it plummeted 60 feet into a rivine and landed on rocks below. I'm sad to say that I probably won't be buying another, at least not for myself in the near future.

Needless to say I'm sad to lose it, hopefully I'll be able to talk my wife into getting one (although it's going to be a tough arguement now, lol).

Bright side though!
My insuance company paid out $2750 for the bike and equipment, luckily for me I only paid $1650 for the bike! I've already purchased a 2002 Ducati Monster 620ie at auction with some very minor damage, hopefully this flat black beauty won't suffer the same fate as my Savage.

-tanker out...

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: The Death of a Savage
Reply #1 - 03/01/06 at 02:28:23

Sorry to hear about your Savage & glad you're OK. I wonder if a few bad connecting rods left the factory. Heard good things about the Ducati, you're gonna like it.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #2 - 03/01/06 at 03:51:54

Shocked Man Sorry to hear about your '01 Savage and glad you are OK!!
Wow, that's 2 catastrophic LS engine failures on this Forum in as many weeks ... I've been comin' here for almost 3 years and I'd never head of that kinda total failure before!! This has given me the heebie jeebies ... seems as if a connecting rod giving out is also potentially dangerous (fatal??) to the Rider as well as the Bike??
What gives? Bad Manufacture, Rider neglect and/or abuse ... or an inherently flawed design ... got me thinkin' that keeping my LS past 10,000kms mightn't be such a good idea?
Comments?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 03/01/06 at 04:09:58

Glad your aok, sounds like it went out with a bit of drama for sure

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 03/01/06 at 04:10:50

Yikes!  But your OK and even got a good deal out of it.  You must feel pretty lucky.  

It doesn't really bother me to think my bike may break down at some point, but the manner in which these failures are occuring is rather disturbing.  I recall torque saying it basically locked up his rear.  Is that what yours did?

Have you broke into your engine at all?  You recently bought your bike.  How many miles did it have on it then?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #5 - 03/01/06 at 06:13:38

yeah i'm glad your alright too,it's preatty weird how it happens,your out enjoying life, crusing the country side, then BAMM!! the savage is trying to kill ya for some reason or another Roll Eyes  i didnt have full coverage insurance on mine  :'(  anyway enjoy the ducati,i went looking at bikes the other day and sat on a 749 awsome bike.i think i'm going to get a 06 650 ninja.

like i said i'm glad u didnt go down the rivine Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 03/01/06 at 06:28:59

That is way freaky to have that happen to two in such a short period of time.  I wonder if the causes are related or not.  Anyway, I'm glad you're both okay.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 03/01/06 at 07:02:51

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I wonder if the causes are related or not.

Yeah I'm wondering about the causes myself. I wonder if either has ever had a failed petc0ck and gas in the crankcase. I wonder if alot of high rpm operation is a contributing factor. Maybe the rod is the weak link or maybe Suzuki manufactured a bad batch. Dunno.

I'm glad neither of you were hurt. tankerblaze - the description of your bike's demise sounds like a scene out of an action movie Shocked

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #8 - 03/01/06 at 07:08:21

no gas in the crankcase here and no over reving either.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #9 - 03/01/06 at 07:21:30

Holy sh*t!  Glad your okay.

Yours was a 2001.  Torque, what year was yours?  '96?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #10 - 03/01/06 at 07:27:54

mine was '98 with 18,000 miles

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #11 - 03/01/06 at 09:09:21

So unless they are using connecting rods from a batch they made in 1998 or before, we can eliminate teh idea of a bad batch...

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #12 - 03/01/06 at 13:50:14

Well, when Torque said the con rod was made of cheap pot metal, that started a turning point in my thinking.  I've wanted 1 of these bikes since they 1st came out in '86.  I have to pay cash (bad credit history); and, this summer looks good for finally making the purchase.  But now, I'm having serious doubts.  Maybe a V* instead; but, some of those have had driveshaft failures (as have Volusias).  Haven't heard of any problems at all with the Aero 750.  And, there's always the Sporty; but here, you pay an extra $2500 in dealer fees.  Heck, I could get a used Savage for that.  People put down the old Limeys as undependable; but, I never had 1 problem with my BSA, Triumph, or Norton (except the Lucas electrics in the Bonnie).  I can get a cherry 750 Norton for $2200; maybe I'll do that.  This whole scenario is very disappointing, with the "supposed" Japanese dependability.

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 03/01/06 at 14:25:26

First of all to TankerBlaze, thank heavens you're alright. That was an unexpected and potentially fatal mechanical failure.

However, how many of these type failures have occurred among the thousand plus members and viewers? Statistically, I'd bet it's very, very small.  If this was a new motorcycle, there probably would be immediate cause for alarm. However, it's one of the tried and true bikes on the market. If this was a recurring deficiency it would have probably become apparent 10 years ago. Still, it's good to know about and be aware of.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #14 - 03/01/06 at 15:46:03

I've heard of 1 drive shaft failure on a V* ... and that guy was doing wheelies.  I've got 26 k miles on my V* 1100 with 0 problems

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 09:30:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Death of a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.