Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Re: The Death of a Savage
Reply #30 - 03/02/06 at 21:53:51

In any production run, there are going to be some "culls" that slip through. If you've been in the Savage scene for a few years (I joined Bert's old board in 1998), you might remember how FEW of these bikes have catastrophically failed. 2 or 3 fires, likely due to the cut rate fuel hose (costs 15 CENTS to fix that glitch). 3 or 4 blown con rods. A few failed CDIs (no biggie, it's $10 worth of parts from Radio Shack). A few busted timing chains.

All in all, a suprisingly strong showing from what is basically a low rent entry level bike. I still like AND trust mine...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #31 - 03/02/06 at 22:21:23

WD wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
In any production run, there are going to be some "culls" that slip through. If you've been in the Savage scene for a few years (I joined Bert's old board in 1998), you might remember how FEW of these bikes have catastrophically failed. 2 or 3 fires, likely due to the cut rate fuel hose (costs 15 CENTS to fix that glitch). 3 or 4 blown con rods. A few failed CDIs (no biggie, it's $10 worth of parts from Radio Shack). A few busted timing chains.

All in all, a suprisingly strong showing from what is basically a low rent entry level bike. I still like AND trust mine...
-WD

You're probly right.  Sounds like the voice of reason to me.  

IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 03/03/06 at 07:23:16

So here's a question from a non-mechanic to all the experienced mechanics out there (be it professional or shade tree):

With all these mods available to increase the HP of the Savage, is it possible that they are pushing the engine beyond the tolerances for which it was designed? Might that be a contributing factor to these thrown rods?  ???

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #33 - 03/03/06 at 09:20:53

Possible I guess however it's not the bottom end on these engines that look a little weak to me - and of the higher HP engines here I do not see them posting about a thrown rod - to me carb rejet, freer flow pipe and air intake is just tune'n - bored to near 700cc , reground camshaft, opening up the ports, and such like that creates a good deal more HP and so far those engines seem to hanging in there

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #34 - 03/03/06 at 23:11:13

what would be the ideal replacement rod for the savage?
What type of material? I wonder if it's possible to either have some made or find an aftermarket that would fit?

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #35 - 03/05/06 at 03:01:54

I have a Carrillo rod for my SR 500 project. It's possible they do a rod for the Savage.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
John O'Neill

Reply #36 - 03/05/06 at 13:58:49

???  What if anything do these bike with thrown rods have in common?  What years were they and what mods were made to each?  What muffler, carb jetting and so on.  I am not trying to blame this on anything, I just want to know if there is anything I can try to do to prevent a problem with mine.  

John O'Neill

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #37 - 03/05/06 at 20:10:23

They were all second generation, 98-01s. As for preventing it, not much. Keep the oil clean (frequent changes), run the right weight for ambient conditions, keep the tires at or within 3 psi of sidewall maximum pressure. Any and everything you can do to keep the stress on the engine lower. Oh, and run the belt with a much lower tension level than the factory states.

My Savage is set hyper lean, has a basically open exhuast, and regularly saw 100+ mph runs. When I replace the gas tank and front brake hose, it will again.
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 11:25:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Death of a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!