The Death of a Savage (Read 21 times)
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Re: The Death of a Savage
Reply #15 - 03/01/06 at 16:21:56

In the early days of Bert's forum in germany, we had one rider who had over 80K when the cam chin tensioner went. I do not remember anyone on that forum with a lower end problem. About the only problem was ruining the cylinder head due to running out of oil because of the plug leak. Even those were fixed with another head, cam follers etc and run for years.

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #16 - 03/01/06 at 17:31:22

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I've heard of 1 drive shaft failure on a V* ... and that guy was doing wheelies.  I've got 26 k miles on my V* 1100 with 0 problems

Hang out on CC&D (Classic, Custom & Dragstar -- Delphi); there have been a number.  1 guy had 3 failures on the same bike.  BTW, these are 650's; I haven't heard of any with the 1100.  Probly better design.

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #17 - 03/01/06 at 17:39:58

cigaro wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
First of all to TankerBlaze, thank heavens you're alright. That was an unexpected and potentially fatal mechanical failure.

However, how many of these type failures have occurred among the thousand plus members and viewers? Statistically, I'd bet it's very, very small.  If this was a new motorcycle, there probably would be immediate cause for alarm. However, it's one of the tried and true bikes on the market. If this was a recurring deficiency it would have probably become apparent 10 years ago. Still, it's good to know about and be aware of.

That's exactly the kind of failure I wouldn't want to happen.  Would you like to be the 3rd?  That pot metal rod -- STUPID cheapo feature.  Some of the V-twins LOOK cheap externally (plastic chrome, etc.); but, I wonder if any of them use pot metal rods?

IP Logged
WD
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Professional
"scooter
trash".

Rosemark TN
Reply #18 - 03/01/06 at 21:41:57

Make it 3, not mine fortunately. Had one show up on a trailer today with the rod hanging out of the bottom end. Send him to the metal shredder down the road, I MIGHT have been able to salvage the headlight bulb... Even the CDI box was smashed. What part of "if it's trash in your yard, it's trash in my yard" don't people understand anyways? Big end of the rod flat sheared off, the final downstroke punched it out through the base gasket. The drive belt was wrapped around the rear wheel.

Bike was a 2000 model with right at 13K miles on the clock. Owner said he ran nothing but Suzuki 10W40 synthetic in it. I keep saying, these bikes need Castrol GTX 20W50 or a similar dino juice in them...
-WD

On 2 wheels since 7/87

Black and Chrome 2003 1950s style custom
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #19 - 03/02/06 at 06:37:53

I think the Savage is a very durable bike. Trust me, the rod is not made from "pot metal".

WD, I tend to agree with you about oil. I'm switching from 10W40 Honda dino to Yamalube 20W40 dino this spring.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Savage. If you do choose to buy a Honda Aero, I can tell you from experience (I also ride an ACE 750) that they are extremely durable bikes. Water cooling and Honda build quality - what's not to like ? If you get a model with the single pin crank, they sound awesome too.

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #20 - 03/02/06 at 06:59:51

Bugscraper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
Hang out on CC&D (Classic, Custom & Dragstar -- Delphi); there have been a number.  1 guy had 3 failures on the same bike.  BTW, these are 650's; I haven't heard of any with the 1100.  Probly better design.

yeah,  I was talkin' about the 1100s...

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 03/02/06 at 07:27:33

I'm running a 15W50 synthetic but will likely switch back to a 15W50 dinojuice when I use up the stock I have.  I got a case a a great price so it's taking a few changes.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #22 - 03/02/06 at 07:55:02

Guys, as a Savage owner, I'm more than a little concerned about the type of connecting rod failure described on this Board over the past few weeks ... seems like this kind of sudden malfunction does not only toast the Bike, but has the potential to cause the Rider to loose control resulting in injury or death ...
This is serious crap and am very surprised that Suzuki hasn't adressed it in one way or another with a recall and/or re-design of the engine itself.
Seems like by not adressing this type of failure of the LS' engine (is Suzuki even aware of the problem?), Suzuki could be leaving itself open to lawsuit?

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #23 - 03/02/06 at 08:51:20

yeah its not like these are really old bikes either ???

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #24 - 03/02/06 at 09:13:49

I'd bet Suzuki would disavow any responsibility if the bike had been functionally modified though.  Still, I'm curious as to whether they've heard of this and if so, what they've determined to be the likely/primary cause in the majority of cases.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #25 - 03/02/06 at 10:03:11

Is there any way to query Suzuki about this?
I bought my Savage as a long-term Bike ... This is causing me to doubt my choice and think about if it'd be wise to keep it at all ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #26 - 03/02/06 at 14:38:44

I was thinking the same thing. Suzuki should be notified.

I wonder if an upgrade could be made? If nothing else, maybe a replacement at 10k?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #27 - 03/02/06 at 17:26:54

you'd be hard pressed to find any make or model that hasn't thrown a rod at some point, if it is believed to be a safety issue you can always file a complaint on the DOT website - www.nhtsa.dot.gov - if they get a enough maybe we'll get a recall and a forged piston rod ... hello turbo and N2O - now we're talking

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #28 - 03/02/06 at 18:06:27

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
you'd be hard pressed to find any make or model that hasn't thrown a rod at some point
 but his was a 2001, most bikes now days last more than 5 years before they have a huge failure,and when i mean failure i mean something happened that u cannot fix for under $3,000.thats why if u buy new u must get the longest warranty available,and read it over a couple of times to make sure ur not getting screwed.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #29 - 03/02/06 at 18:33:55

Oh I agree it shouldn't have blown like that nor should have yours - I just don't think it's all that common or finding a clean used head to work the ports on would be easy. Glad both you guys got out with your hides and safety issues far out last the manufac waranty, I might file one if I was either one of you guys.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 11:27:10

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › The Death of a Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.