Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Summary of suggested mods to stock Savage (Read 11 times)
tjhart
Ex Member

Summary of suggested mods to stock Savage
02/26/06 at 15:22:12

I made my first post to this board last week, but I've been reading for quite a while.

Now that I might actually become a Savage owner, I wanted to review the various modifications suggested on this board, only to find that the best 'tidbits' are scattered throughout the board, and hard to find. So I thought I'd do my best to give a summary. I'm not a mechanic and have very little skill with tools, so please correct me or clarify where needed. Maybe if I do the footwork - and get it right, this post, or some revision, could be placed in the Technical Documents section?

The '95 and later Savages are not tuned for best engine performance. This is due to various EPA regulations. Making a few changes can significantly impact the performance of these machines.

First, a few things can be done to the carburetor to minimize backfiring and effect low to mid-range response. A white spacer on the main needle in the carburetor can be filed down to 2/3 to 1/2 thickness (affecting mid-range), and adjusting the idle mixture and idle speed screws will help low-end response. This thread covers how to make these modifications in more detail:

Mid-Range Power & the White Spacer (Backfire)

The stock muffler also gives a bit too much back-pressure to the engine, limiting performance at the high-end of the throttle. Replacing the muffler with a high-performance one will decrease the backpressure a bit, and give better high-end response. Because the dynamics of the change of air-flow thru the engine with a new muffler, the carburetor may need to be re-jetted. Commonly suggested replacement mufflers are Sporster (from a HD), Supertrapp, Jardin, Raask, Screamin' Eagle, and MAC. There is no single article on this board discussing the relative merits of each of these, however, there is one with sound clips:

Savage Sounds (mufflers)

Many users choose to replace the stock air filter with a K&N filter to further improve the air flow. They do this along with the muffler replacement, since it usually requires a carburetor re-jet as well.

How to remove snorkel & replace with K&N

However, some are concerned with the larger amount of dust and dirt that a K&N allow into the engine and choose to stick with stock filters:

Why some avoid K&N filters

Additionally, the handling of the Savage can be improved with new rear shocks and a Super Brace on the front forks.

In addition to handling and performance, many would like a trip odometer. A good thread covering that topic can be found here:

Trip Meter Ideas

Another thread with a GPS solution is here:

Electronic accessory

All in all, the general consensus of the Savage is that it's the VW of motorcycles. Easy to work on and can be made much better than stock.

Tim

IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Re: Summary of suggested mods to stock Savage
Reply #2 - 02/26/06 at 17:51:53

Yeah - there are TONS of threads regarding the spacer mod, but I figured the first article covered most of the details.

What I'm trying to do is get an article together that covers the main issues for the n00b, so it won't take a week of reading all the posts all over the board to figure out what needs to be done. Kind of 'cook down' the wisdom in all those threads to something that will answer 80% of the questions asked, and even BETTER, give the n00b a direction to head even if they don't know what questions they should be asking.

Tim

IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/26/06 at 17:53:39

Ok - I modified the article to say 'Super Brace on the front forks' instead of a new front brace. Thanks!

IP Logged
Bobster
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/26/06 at 22:16:09

Good job and idea to simplify and compose mods.  Smiley

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/27/06 at 04:11:26

Also K&N drop-in or cone filter which is usually done in conjunction with a new muffler so that you only have to rejet once.  Spark plug door mod(could not find link.)Spark plug throttle chop/read.

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/27/06 at 08:18:05

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/27/06 at 12:18:50

If you feel like u are a little cramped on ur bike consider the seat lift mod.

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=tech;action=display;num=1109035237

seat mod link.

Remember to check the Technical Document/Reference section for great tips and tricks.

ps dont forget to SEARCH then ask a question Smiley

IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/27/06 at 18:41:52

I've been thinking about what kinds of things are reasonable to put on the mod summary list. As a new owner (soon), it seems that most of the new owners would want to fix the backfiring issue. Next they learn that the top end can be increased a bit.

Obviously they might not stop there. Mods range from convenience, such as the spark plug door, to very personalized mods, such as adjusting the seat height or forward controls to accommodate a taller rider.

Instead of putting all of the mods here, I wanted to concentrate on mods that would be of interest to nearly all Savage owners. I think everyone would agree that the white spacer and mixture mod, while not quite must-haves, are so worthwhile that other than voiding a warranty, are hard to argue against.

Since I haven't begun maintaining my bike, I really can't judge some of these. So do you think the spark-plug door belongs here in the must-have's section? Is the seat height mod only useful for tall riders, or is it a good adjustment for everyone?

Oh - I'll update the the original post to include the K&N/cone filter suggestion.

IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/27/06 at 19:27:04

I added a few blurbs about a trip meter. That seems to me to be a popular mod - at least something posted about often. The bicycle computer seems to be a cheap and reasonable solution to the problem too.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/27/06 at 19:34:32

I sure hope you get the bike. If you take it to a bike shop for carb job, oil change, valve adjustment they would do the spacer mod and jet change for you, while they have the carb off. Maybe you could print one of the posts so the mechanic can do the mods. Good Luck

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 02/27/06 at 20:46:13

tjhart wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Is the seat height mod only useful for tall riders, or is it a good adjustment for everyone?

Oh - I'll update the the original post to include the K&N/cone filter suggestion.

Most likely the seat is a reasonable thing to do for most as it helps to keep you from sliding on to the tank and for most improves the ride as it puts the wider part of the seat under you wider part - again for most people

the K&N is a different deal - in my view the pod or the drop in is not for everyone and down right harmful in some environments - see this post .....  

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

and that brings me to this point - much can be learned along the way as you research and dig for the answers on this site and others - generic answers can be distilled into an "Easy Button" but not the knowledge you'd gain about other areas during the digging process.

IP Logged
tjhart
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/27/06 at 21:00:58

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Much can be learned along the way as you research and dig for the answers on this site and others - generic answers can be distilled into an "Easy Button" but not the knowledge you'd gain about other areas during the digging process.

I agree completely. My goal in the summary post is "ya know, now that you have this nice shiney bike, lots of things can be done to make it even better, and more of an expression of you. Here's where you can find the juicy bits".

The main reason I include the links is to give them direct access to the good stuff - all opinions, good and bad. Notice I included the remark that some don't care for the K&N mod. Others feel the spacer works better for them at 2/3 width than 1/2. Once someone gets a taste for it, I feel they are more likely to continue digging for other things.

Tim

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 03/01/06 at 05:46:26

While I appreciate the desire to list an all-encompassing compendium of your searches, the best thing for newcomers to the board (or for trying to relocate something you've seen before) is probably a sticky post with key words and phrases for searches.  This would help folks locate information faster but still provide the most current discussions.  I'll start such a post and if it pans out, I'll move it to the Tech section and place linked posts in the other two forums.

Rob

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 01:22:35

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Summary of suggested mods to stock Savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.