Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
savage gearing (Read 7 times)
gatsby_jld
Ex Member

savage gearing
02/25/06 at 11:14:59

What is the easiest way to change the final drive ratio on the Savage? My wife loves her 2003 savage, but it isn't geared for the interstate. She is very petite and doesn't want a bigger bike.

Are there any mods to the drive train that will help, or are we just   @#@!!*  out of luck?

thanks all

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: savage gearing
Reply #1 - 02/25/06 at 11:21:37

The quickest and easiest is a larger rear tire.

Next is a smaller rear sprocket.  There are some Harley sprockets with fewer teeth that might be workable...it will likely require redrilling the mount holes to match the Savage bolt pattern.

IP Logged
gatsby_jld
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/25/06 at 11:54:26

Thanks Lancer

I guess changing the rear sprocket would be easier than trying to find a larger front sprocket that will fit.

Wonder if anyone has tried the rear sprocket exchange? I'm sure my wife would have more confidence in my drilling into her skooter if someone has already done it successfully.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #3 - 02/26/06 at 03:41:15

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
The quickest and easiest is a larger rear tire.

Next is a smaller rear sprocket.  There are some Harley sprockets with fewer teeth that might be workable...it will likely require redrilling the mount holes to match the Savage bolt pattern.

Unfortunately the HD uses a different patern of belt. The teeths are round, so you also have to replace the front sprocket and try to find the correct lenght.

And although HD uses a lot of Japaneese parts I doubt that with the different measurings ( inches versus millimeters) you'll be able to modify to HD beltdrive without a large amound of machining.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 02/26/06 at 05:39:06

The teeth on the Harley belt are rounded?  
It was my understanding that the Harleys use the same type belt that we have...have I been living in a fantasy world?
Am I loosing control of my sanity?  
...Where am I?
...Who am I?
OK, I've got it now...reality.

So, how are all of you fine folks on the beautiful Sunday morning?

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 02/26/06 at 05:46:34

Not sure about this, but I thought the HD belts were 1" wide while the Savage belts were 2" wide to make up for the torquey single cylinder. Maybe someone could verify this?

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #6 - 02/26/06 at 05:51:44

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
The teeth on the Harley belt are rounded?  
It was my understanding that the Harleys use the same type belt that we have...have I been living in a fantasy world?
Am I loosing control of my sanity?  
...Where am I?
...Who am I?
OK, I've got it now...reality.

So, how are all of you fine folks on the beautiful Sunday morning?

yeah the h-d belt width is about a half inch smaller than the savage,but the h-d belt is thicker from teeth to top. and yes it is a beutiful morning,perfect day to go to the rifle range,and blast some targets Smiley

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #7 - 02/26/06 at 06:52:49

OOH, guns, bullets, the smell of exploded gun powder.........WOW, such fond memories.

If I were not going on a ride with the club today, I would get the firearms out and blow some stuff up!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 02/26/06 at 11:16:40

No longer morning - now a fine afternoon bout 72 blue sky - been out trying to break in the new tires on the '95 yeehaw!

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 02/26/06 at 13:27:49

Trying to talk the ol ball n chain into letting me get a taller tire when I replace the rear sprocket. No luck yet but I'll keep working on it. Been hanging drywall most of the day, shore would like to smell a little gun cotton to get the dust out of my nose. Grin A couple boxes of 30-06 ammo would be sweet right now.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
gatsby_jld
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/26/06 at 20:03:06

Has anyone heard of a front spocket with more teeth that would fit the savage?

IP Logged
Salad_Shaker
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/27/06 at 03:58:46

Whilst you'd have to give uo the smooth and virtually maintenance free belt drive, what has been suggested before over on Bert's now defunct forum is the switch to chain drive.  You can either source the parts from a 400cc Savage or there was someone in New Zealand marketing a bolt-on kit. Gearing then becomes a matter of oily choice.  I considered this route but for the time being am sticking to maxing out at 140kph for short bursts and cruising at 120kph/75mph.  The standard gearing will do for now.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #12 - 02/27/06 at 06:49:24

necropsy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Not sure about this, but I thought the HD belts were 1" wide while the Savage belts were 2" wide to make up for the torquey single cylinder. Maybe someone could verify this?

Harley's use an assortment of belts for their various bike models, from 1" to 1.25" to 1.5".  They seem to have a hard time making up their minds.  I probably has to do with the size (width)of the rear tire.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 13:28:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › savage gearing

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.