Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mixture screw Stripped (Read 9 times)
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Mixture screw Stripped
02/25/06 at 19:48:38

I made the mistake last fall of letting someone else, whom at the time i beleive knew a good deal about engines, and yes he does, but i let him touch my mixture screw and he stripped it terribly.. I can't get a grip on it to move it either left or right and ive never moved it since i bought the bike.  Its stripped pretty bad, any advice on trying to salvage it? ive drilled and tapped things before, but this just seems like trouble.

thanks

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Re: Mixture screw Stripped
Reply #1 - 02/25/06 at 20:34:39

he he I did the same mistake Undecided Have to buy an easy-out bit to get the darn screw out Sad and order a new mixture screw.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #2 - 02/25/06 at 23:12:27

SavageDude wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
he he I did the same mistake Undecided Have to buy an easy-out bit to get the darn screw out Sad and order a new mixture screw.

So SavageDude - are you saying you did this successfully or that you're going to do this? I've got a flattened head on my idle mixture screw that I've decided not to mess with because I'm scared of screwing everything up worse. I'm looking for someone that has successfully removed this screw with an easy-out....any advise would be helpful!!!  In theory a flattened screw head should come out easily as the threads themselves should be in good shape.  But I've heard others on this board say the idle mixture screw can be a real pain to turn out.

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Max_Morley
Serious Thumper

LT650 Luxury Touring
& sidecar rig

Moses Lake. WA
Reply #3 - 02/26/06 at 12:27:32

I think it can be successfully removed with one of the new broken screw removal tools that has a centering cone on it and a left hand bit. The bit should catch in the soft idle mixture screw and back it out if you use slow spped on cordless electric driver. Max

Max at Thumper Acres. '96 Savage bagger, '03 Savage w/Cozy sidecar for wifeni.
  IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/26/06 at 12:30:45

i bet if i do it that way i can almost re-grind a new channel in the screw so i dont have to replace it.. unless they are really cheap, where can you buy a new mixture screw? how about that removal tool you just mentioned?

jesse

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #5 - 02/26/06 at 14:52:37

SeeAPierce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
So SavageDude - are you saying you did this successfully or that you're going to ....

YES, I did it Cheesy But you have to be very finesse about it or you'll mess up your carb.
Okay! Let's me tell you the long story. As I was playing aroung with the ait mixture screw to get rid off the backfire problem, I did pay attention to the slowly deteriating head on the screw. So a lots of fine brass got in between the threads on the screw and the carb. Now the screw is getting harder and harder to turn back out. In other word, it's stuck for good in there. The only otion I have is to buy the SPIRAL FLUTE SCREW EXTRACTORS size #1, and a new air mixture screw from www.ronayers.com/ . The tool you either go to auto part store or do some search on the net. You will need a small center punch or something that are small and have a pointy head to mark the dead center of the screw. Then use a 5/64" drill bit to make a pilot hole for the extracting tool to catch on. REMEMBER BE VERY GENTLE AND SLOW WHEN DRILING THE PILOT HOLE and make sure that drill bit is going straight in according with the carb's air mixture hole. Sorry I don't have the will take picture or the know-how to post it on the web. If you really really want to see it then IM me.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/26/06 at 18:50:07

ok here is the update... i managed to file a new groove fairly deep into the screw while it was still on the carb.. but after carefull torque, i broke the tip of the screwdriver off, thats how bad this thing is stuck.. any advice? i tried heating it as well, maybe i need the easy outs then?

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 02/26/06 at 21:41:47

Is the screwdriver tip still in the carb? If it is then the job just got more difficult Undecided I had to squirt some wd-40 in there to get the screw lubricate. I think I even left some oil in the hole overnight so that it can get in between the threads real deep. It does help the screw move out and in easier. I would turn the screw in a bit and use compressed air to blow all the shaved brass in the thread out first before you turn the screw out.

Good luck on wrenching

IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/27/06 at 07:21:39

i let it soak over night in pb blaster, only half the tip broke off the screw driver and i got it out.. now i need to find another scredriver that fits in there haha

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #9 - 02/27/06 at 11:14:46

YES, I did it Cheesy But you have to be very finesse about it or you'll mess up your carb.

Yea - that's what I'm worried about - the bike runs pretty good right now so I'm worried about messing with it...I just hate having something not working right...I imagine you did this with the carb off the bike?

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #10 - 02/27/06 at 22:39:11

SeeAPierce wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Yea - that's what I'm worried about - the bike runs pretty good right now so I'm worried about messing with it...I just hate having something not working right...I imagine you did this with the carb off the bike?

No, I did it w/t carb on bike. Patient and steady hand is the key Grin

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #11 - 02/28/06 at 17:50:03

No, I did it w/t carb on bike. Patient and steady hand is the key Grin

Thanks SavageDude! - I've printed out your post above and if I get feeling brave I may give it a try this weekend.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 03:28:19

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Mixture screw Stripped

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.