Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Broken Rear Sprocket
02/23/06 at 14:07:30

I don't have the faintest idea as to what happened but after a 100 mile ride today there is a 4 inch chunk missing from the edge of the rear sprocket. Noticed it as I was wheeling the bike into the shop, can even see the edge of the belt and top of a couple teeth. I'm guessing that I picked up a rock or some other piece of crap between the belt and the sprocket about half way thru the ride. Began to notice more vibration at around 60 mph and just thought it was the road and the big single thumping. Looks like I was wrong, at least the bike got me home. Time to get wrenching, Bike Week is just around the corner and I'm out of JB Weld. Hello stealership, so long money Undecided.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Re: Broken Rear Sprocket
Reply #1 - 02/23/06 at 16:14:56

check ebay, might save you a few bucks, and you can always paint what you buy all depends on how nice you want it.. i just painted my rear sprocket gloss black and it looks nice..  
Good luck wrenching and i hope you have her back for bike week!

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #2 - 02/23/06 at 19:03:15

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I don't have the faintest idea as to what happened but after a 100 mile ride today there is a 4 inch chunk missing from the edge of the rear sprocket. Noticed it as I was wheeling the bike into the shop, can even see the edge of the belt and top of a couple teeth. I'm guessing that I picked up a rock or some other piece of crap between the belt and the sprocket about half way thru the ride. Began to notice more vibration at around 60 mph and just thought it was the road and the big single thumping. Looks like I was wrong, at least the bike got me home. Time to get wrenching, Bike Week is just around the corner and I'm out of JB Weld. Hello stealership, so long money Undecided.

I have a usable spare with some fresh paint it would  be fine - took it off @ 20k miles after i picked up a like new one on ebay for $25 bucks - it's yours for the shipping - want it?

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #3 - 02/24/06 at 04:42:57

Ed_L I have a piece missing from my pulley as well  It is about 4 inches but not as deep as yours. I have put 10,000 kms on with no problems.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 02/24/06 at 06:23:50

Thanks Bentwheel, I wasn't sure if I could ride it the way it is. The bike will need fresh rubber on the rear soon so I'll replace the sprocket at the same time I change out the tire.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #5 - 02/24/06 at 07:27:46

If you're switchin' out the rear pulley, then there's a real nice aftermarket chrome pulley cover available for the LS that adds a real nice look!

www.metric-cruisers.com

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #6 - 02/24/06 at 16:26:48

.Yeah, I was thinking about one of those, it would be a good time to add a pulley cover. Let's see how deep the wallet is Grin

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 21:21:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Broken Rear Sprocket

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.