Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rejet done... (Read 4 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Rejet done...
02/21/06 at 08:23:52

Got the rejet done while ago.  Went from stock 145 to 152.5 main jet.  

I have changed my mind on the HD muff, will no longer be installing that on my bike, and will be putting a MAC on it tomorrow.  Just didn't like the fit up of the HD muff so I'm going this route.

My Wingerline Highway Bars will be here this afternoon and will be installed post-haste! Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Rejet done...
Reply #1 - 02/21/06 at 08:41:01

Be careful when installing a new muffler.  You'll probably want to loosen the header while fitting it up and then retighten it afterward.  Just be careful that you get a good seal on the gaskets.  I found it was better to replace both gaskets: the one between head and header and the one between header and muffler.  Both are available on RonAyers.com, BikeBandit.com, etc.  If your exhaust leaks, you'll probably have additional backfiring.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/21/06 at 08:55:32

Looking at the fiche for my bike, it only shows the head to header pipe gasket, and then a "muffler connector" at the muffler to pipe connection.  No mention of a gasket there.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 02/21/06 at 09:08:52

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Looking at the fiche for my bike, it only shows the head to header pipe gasket, and then a "muffler connector" at the muffler to pipe connection.  No mention of a gasket there.

Yeah, it's items #2 and #5.  The connector (#5) is sort of a rubber/putty composite with a wire mesh inside it.  It seals very well.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/21/06 at 17:47:20

Got the Wingerline bar installed this evening.  Man, that is one tight fit getting that acorn nut back on with the bar bracket there too!  Also, the u-bolt was a pretty snug fit as well.  I think I'm going to the hardware store in the morning and get some lock washers to put on that u-bolt connection.  I could see vibration giving that one fits. Wink

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 02/21/06 at 17:49:33

Yeah, I cut one tab off of the heat shield to allow that bolt to fit more easily.  The heatshield works fine with one.  You'll like that highwaybar.

911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/21/06 at 17:51:51

Would that bar support pegs on it?  The only way I could see pegs working is if they were mounted on the outside of the bar pointing outward.  Obviously they'd be high enough you wouldn't drag when cornering, but I'm more concerned with the "dork factor" and how they'd look that way... Cheesy

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/21/06 at 18:25:11

Rob, where did you get the heat shield you have on your bike?  I'm going to need a smaller one after mounting the MAC tomorrow.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 02/22/06 at 04:35:54

Would that bar support pegs on it?  The only way I could see pegs working is if they were mounted on the outside of the bar pointing outward.  Obviously they'd be high enough you wouldn't drag when cornering, but I'm more concerned with the "dork factor" and how they'd look that way... Cheesy

That's not dorky. Pegs mounted on crash bars are quite normal. I'll have two sets on my bikes this spring.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/22/06 at 08:20:47

So its normal to see these bars with the pegs pointing outward?  Seems like a lot of them I've seen the pegs point inward.  Maybe I just haven't paid that much attention to them.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 02/22/06 at 12:06:32

Rob, where did you get the heat shield you have on your bike?  I'm going to need a smaller one after mounting the MAC tomorrow.

I picked it up at JC Whitney.  I've since seen some higher quality (and costlier) versions but this one has held up for over a year without any problems so far.  JP Cycles has the same one at the same price as well as a number of others.  Just search on "heat shield".

Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #11 - 02/22/06 at 12:09:34

So its normal to see these bars with the pegs pointing outward?

Yes, normal. I've never seen any pointed inward but have seen lots pointed out.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/22/06 at 15:22:46

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Be careful when installing a new muffler.  You'll probably want to loosen the header while fitting it up and then retighten it afterward.  Just be careful that you get a good seal on the gaskets.  I found it was better to replace both gaskets: the one between head and header and the one between header and muffler.  Both are available on RonAyers.com, BikeBandit.com, etc.  If your exhaust leaks, you'll probably have additional backfiring.

I was able to retrieve the old gasket from the stock exhaust with no tears at all.  Worked perfectly with the MAC on sealing it up.  So that is good, and saved me some money in the process!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 02/22/06 at 16:07:46

You just have to check for leaks, that's all.  The one at the header can look fine - until you compare it to a new one.  It crushes with use.  As long as you have no leaks and you don't overtorque, you're good.  Remember never to tighten those header bolts on a hot engine.

911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/22/06 at 16:10:20

It's all done.  Everything tightened up, no leaks anywhere.  Turned out really good!

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 12:22:44

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Rejet done...

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.