Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Getting a savage on tuesday! (Read 2 times)
Bobster
Ex Member

Getting a savage on tuesday!
02/19/06 at 19:09:45

Assuming it looks as good in person as in the picture, Im picking it up for $1800. Its a black 99 with 3010 miles. It has a windscreen and one of those things he called an engine gaurd with pedals to raise your feet. Im stoked.

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Getting a savage on tuesday!
Reply #1 - 02/19/06 at 20:04:20

Good deal!  I would assume original tires, now six years old.  I'd replace them on general principles no matter how much tread is left.  Good rubber is vital on a cage, and even more important on a bike.  The battery, if original also, may need replacing depending on how well it was maintained.  And since there is no kick started....

A toast to you enjoying the Savage and putting on the miles it deserves.

WWW   IP Logged
Bobster
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/19/06 at 20:14:33

Yea, i'll check everything out. He also said it has a sportster muffler welded on. If i can find the parts local, i'll be modding and adjusting the carb and filter this week then ordering the rest. After lurking in here this week, i already have a grocery list to order. lol

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 02/19/06 at 21:31:28

Isn't grocery shopping fun?

Welcome to the Savage World!! Grin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 02/20/06 at 05:47:47

Welcome and I hope it's in excellent condition!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 02/20/06 at 05:51:04

Welcome to the zoo! - that sounds like a good buy if the condition matches the miles

IP Logged
Bobster
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/21/06 at 13:51:44

Well, i drove 1 1/2 hrs to look at it. Wasrnt very impressed by its condition. Not as good as the pics looked. It runs like a turd, misses, backfirs etc.. After pointing out all thats wrong to him, I bought it for $1500. I got some work to do but i like doing that stuff. I ran around this afternoon looking for parts. Found a 155 main jet but no 55 pilot. I gotta order that. Gotta order a K&N cone filter too. Im not buying shocks, superbrace, etc.. til i get her tunned up and see if i like her.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #7 - 02/21/06 at 14:13:00

Try adjusting the idle mixture before getting the new pilot jet.  You may not need it at all.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Bobster
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 02/21/06 at 14:30:57

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Try adjusting the idle mixture before getting the new pilot jet.  You may not need it at all.
Oh, i thought it was necessary to upgrade to larger when upgrading the main jet. I bought a can of carb cleaner from napa, $42  Roll Eyes....Im gonna disasseble and clean the carb good before any jetting. I also doing the white spacer mod while im in there. Thanks man, Im new to this bike.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #9 - 02/21/06 at 15:03:11

Congrats!

With the low mileage, it's a good bet that the bike has been sitting.  Probably gunked up the carb, so a good cleaning will work wonders.

Did you get a gallon can of Berryman's Chem-Dip?  That and some compressed air will clean out all the varnish.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/21/06 at 15:19:14

i may have to try that.. mine sat for 6 years and before i got it and now its in peices being painted etc.. carb still needs some tlc, i soaked it for 2 days in carb cleaner, but now i need to go borrow some compressed air at my buddy's garage. good luck with the bike!

IP Logged
Bobster
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/21/06 at 16:32:13

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Congrats!

With the low mileage, it's a good bet that the bike has been sitting.  Probably gunked up the carb, so a good cleaning will work wonders.

Did you get a gallon can of Berryman's Chem-Dip?  That and some compressed air will clean out all the varnish.
I bought the only carb cleaner they had its made by Mac. And yes i have a compressor etc.. Ive almost got the bike stripped. I ordered a manual but i cant wait for that. lol.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #12 - 02/21/06 at 18:39:13

That should work.  I'm suprised at the cost. How much carb cleaner do you get for $42?

If you get lost, there is a diagram of the carburetor in one of the tech articles.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Bobster
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/21/06 at 18:44:28

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
That should work.  I'm suprised at the cost. How much carb cleaner do you get for $42?

If you get lost, there is a diagram of the carburetor in one of the tech articles.

Yea i'll getter done. I stripped all plastic and rubber from the carb and removed all needles and jets. The carb is filthy dirty. Im gonna soak and clean tomorrow. I removed that hideous airbox. But im concerned that theres not much room for a cone filter there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 15:21:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Getting a savage on tuesday!

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.