Send Topic Print
Fork Brace Project (Read 7 times)
Tkat
YaBB Newbies

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Fork Brace Project
02/19/06 at 11:14:50

May I introduce m’self?  I’m Tkat --- the Fork Brace guy.  I’m an ORG [Old Retired Geezer] w/ a 4700 sq. ft. hobby house set up as a general machine shop in Santa Clara, CA.  [Daytime TV sucks!]

I’m geared to small lot, R & D, proof of concept, &c.  I’ll make the 1st 100, s’one else can do the next 10,000, so special projects are always given a look.

I’ve been a life long gasoline gear-head --- both cages and scoots and have run most everything from Jalopies & Hard Tops on 1/4 mile County tracks in the ‘50s to Bonnieville & the Baja 1000.

F/Bs got started when I bot an older XS1100, joined the list, and asked how to make the pig handle.  The answer was “Buy a F/B.  Nuts, I’ll make my own.  You can do that?”  It was 18 months ‘til I could keep one for m’self.  Since then I’ve made over 1300 in 8+ years and shipped them to every continent in the World, ‘cept Antarctica.

I stopped by a dealers y'day and looked @ the 650 Savage.  The project is doable.  The bling-bling plastic tube protectors will hafta get lost & I’m not sure yet how to accommodate the dust wipes/seals.  There also may not be a positive stop for positioning.  So you’d hafta use a cross haired eyeball and hold yer tongue right.  The XS1100s have a dust boot, that style is a lot easier to work w/.

As for cost, the XSs take 2 hrs & $30 in buy-outs each.  Plus I’ve over $200 in custom ground cutters.  Naturally, the tooling and set-up programing has long ago been written off.  I don’t see the LS650 be’n much different so figure around $100 or so delivered domestic.  

As you see, I’m not do’n these to make dollars but to help the group.  In the world of important perspectives the price equates to a little over 3 pitchers of margaritas.

What would be a help is a local owner who could bring his ride by for trial fitting and as a Beta Tester.  The front fender side clearance is a cut and try item.  For this he gets a bottle of GOOD Chardonnay [another story] and a free F/B.  I’m located about 1/2 mile from the Santa Clara Costco & just West of the airport.  

If interested, contact me direct: tkat@tkat.com  408/980-8880.  Pls put Fork brace in the subject.  Any takers?

Ciao,
Tkat
WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Re: Fork Brace Project
Reply #1 - 02/19/06 at 16:26:16

I'm one of the guys that emailed you a few days ago. I'll buy one if you make it. Do you use PayPal?

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #2 - 02/19/06 at 21:40:07

Tkat,

I wish I was still in the area, but it has been a while.  I grew up in Cupertino and left the area after high school (Homestead, 1967) for parts ... known and unknown.  If I were still local I'd be knocking on your door.  But since I have been stuck in the south for some time now I will have to be satisfied with a cross-country purchase.

By the way, thank you for responding to our need.

Michael
LANCER

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #3 - 02/20/06 at 03:35:43

Hey Tkat

You are most welcome, I however won't be buying one of your fork braces as the forks on KLX are USD's.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 02/20/06 at 05:11:20

Tkat wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
What would be a help is a local owner who could bring his ride by for trial fitting and as a Beta Tester.  The front fender side clearance is a cut and try item.  For this he gets a bottle of GOOD Chardonnay [another story] and a free F/B.  I’m located about 1/2 mile from the Santa Clara Costco & just West of the airport.  

If interested, contact me direct: tkat@tkat.com  408/980-8880.  Pls put Fork brace in the subject.  Any takers?

Now that sounds like a job for Paladin

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 02/20/06 at 06:03:41

Actually, the 408-980 exchange is in the San Jose rate center and SNTCCA01DS1 switch (Santa Clara, I believe) and is quite a bit N/NE of Paladin.  Anyone in the general San Francisco/Sunnyvale/San Jose area that wouldn't mind letting Tkat take a few measurements on your ride?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 02/20/06 at 06:08:41

he77 that's right he's in LA!

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #7 - 02/20/06 at 08:22:02

For a free fork brace, might be close enough.  about 360 miles (6 hours) up the 101 (I-5 is too crazy fast for me, not to mention boring.)  Assuming not more than a day for Tkat to do his thing it's doable over a weekend.

Otherwise I'ld have to take a day or two off work, and I've booked solid the next six weeks.

Tkat! -- I'll call you about 10.

WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 02/20/06 at 08:29:39

make that run up/down the coast before and after you could give us a report! -

IP Logged
The Newstrums
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/20/06 at 09:46:08

I just called the gentleman.  Nice guy. Turns out he is less than block from where I work.  I can bring mine in either later today or after work this week.

Cool!!

Ethan

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 02/20/06 at 09:53:21

The Newstrums wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I just called the gentleman.  Nice guy. Turns out he is less than block from where I work.  I can bring mine in either later today or after work this week.

Cool!!

Ethan

Very cool.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Reply #11 - 02/20/06 at 10:10:04

Tell Sarah thanks for the loan of her bike.  We'll be expecting a report.

WWW   IP Logged
The Newstrums
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/20/06 at 11:24:04

Of course!!

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #13 - 02/20/06 at 12:25:16

The Newstrums wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:

Cool!!

Ethan

Howdy,

Have you lived in the area all your life?  or a significant part thereof?
I lived at 20924 Elenda DR, Cupertino...just off of Stelling Rd and between Homestead Rd and Stevens Creek Bvld.  Back then the whole area was still mostly cherry and appricot orchards and strawberry fields.  
Time does march on.

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #14 - 02/20/06 at 18:41:00

I am glad that I was able to generate a lot of interest in the tkat brace. I had one on my XS650 I used to own and it made an awesome difference. Wish I lived close enought, oh  well. At any rate, would one (or more) of you mechanically inclined please go to
 http://www.tkat.com/forkbrace/diagram.htm

and provide tkat with the necessary measurements. It would save us all some time. For those of you who have not expressed an interest in this clamp, please email  tkat@tkat.com.

Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 01:38:52

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fork Brace Project

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.