Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need help with Sportster muff installation (Read 5 times)
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Re: Need help with Sportster muff installation
Reply #15 - 02/19/06 at 15:56:33

I think the "lube" WavJamR is referring to is a paste that hardens with heat. I think it's called exhaust joint sealant.

That exhaust wrap is meant to be applied to the outside, I think.  If you put it between the muffler and exhaust, it might  make it difficult to remove the muffler later. If you put it on the outside, you should be able to cut it off.

I used a Dyna muffler.  It looks the same as a Sportster muffler, but has a different mount which made it possible to bolt it to the stock mount with two bolts. That meant it was mounted further to the rear, so I had to get a short adapter made to slip over the exhaust pipe and into the muffler.  This does not have any bend. I have not noticed any soot on the brake arm.  I think this is because the muffler is so far back.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #16 - 02/19/06 at 16:44:17

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Would this product be acceptable to use to seal the muffler joint as well?

Absolutely. That's what I used. That's great stuff. It will come apart later if needed and seals real well. Be sure to give it 24 hours to cure.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 02/19/06 at 17:34:00

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Absolutely. That's what I used. That's great stuff. It will come apart later if needed and seals real well. Be sure to give it 24 hours to cure.

OK.  If I use the Permatex stuff you're saying to give it 24 hours to cure.  Is that 24 hours and THEN attach the muffler, or 24 hours after the muffler is attached?

Also, is this applied around the header pipe and then the muffler placed over it?  Or is it applied to the joint after the muffler is mounted to seal it off?

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #18 - 02/19/06 at 20:28:06

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Is that 24 hours and THEN attach the muffler, or 24 hours after the muffler is attached?

Allow it to cure after attaching the muffler. Check the package for the exact amount of time needed. It's been awhile since I've used it. It's worked great through a season of riding on my Savage.

Quote:
Also, is this applied around the header pipe and then the muffler placed over it?  Or is it applied to the joint after the muffler is mounted to seal it off?

Apply liberally to the header pipe and inside the muffler end. Slide them together and wipe off the excess.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 02/19/06 at 20:31:45

Thanks!  Hopefully this stuff will cure in colder temps.  My garage isn't heated and I think its going to be around 40 tomorrow.   I wonder if this stuff is the type that it will cure "faster" by starting the bike and allowing the pipes to heat up?

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #20 - 02/19/06 at 21:51:52

I'm suprised the high-temp silicone would take the heat of the exhaust. Guess it's not as hot as I thought.  

Anyway, I think you should let it cure before you run the engine because the exhaust gases that are leaking could blow it out. You might try heating it with a hair dryer or something like that. Just my guess.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 02/20/06 at 05:52:17

Yeah, I'd give it the full 24 hours before running it to lessen the chances of blowing right out.  I didn't have much luck with that and finally wound up using the Suzuki gasket which has some metal fibers meshed in it.  I think I just used the stuff that was supposed to be used for exhaust and didn't try the red or gray high temp RTV though.  The exhaust sealant putty just kind of burnt up and blew out after about a week.  I hope it works for you.  Let us know!

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 21:26:46

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with Sportster muff installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.