Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Need help with Sportster muff installation (Read 5 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Need help with Sportster muff installation
02/16/06 at 13:36:24

I am trying to get my Sportster muffler on my bike as we speak.  I have the stock muffler off, and there appears to be some sort of sleeve on the header pipe that I can't get off.  I can slide the Sportster muffler up just so far, but it looks like it needs to go about another 3/4 inch or so.  

I can't get it to go that 3/4 as it puts the muffler in a bind against the stock muffler mount back by the rear wheel.

I read over in the Tech section where somebody referenced to bending that stock muffler mount.  Is this something that you have to do in order to get the Sportster muffler on?  The reason I ask is that the sleeve on the header pipe I'd like to keep on there as it shims the Sportster muffler very well.

The only other alternative I see if I don't remove the shim or bend the rearward stock bracket is to get some kind of offset adapter, but from what I can tell, the offset adapter shouldn't really be necessary unless you're putting on the Dyna pipes?

I could sure use some quick help here if anybody can provide me with some needed answers! Cheesy

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Re: Need help with Sportster muff installation
Reply #1 - 02/16/06 at 14:37:47

OK, here's where I'm at at this point...

Got the muffler installed, I think I wound up getting a LH side muffler, getting the tab to bolt up was a bit of a chore, but I did it.

I have the muffler clamped on, but it isn't snug enough.  It is a band type clamp, and one side of the muffler pipe has a leak where it clamps to the header pipe -- the side closest to the engine.

Can this be solved using a 1 3/4 muffler clamp without any shims?  The reason I ask is that the side farthest away from the engine is tight with no leaks.  

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #2 - 02/16/06 at 15:53:38

Go to your local auto supply store and get a standard 1 3/4" muffler clamp (U clamp). With that you can force it to seal to the pipe and it works. Cost around 2 bucks.

Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #3 - 02/16/06 at 16:33:07

Even the Harley muffler clamps can't get tight enough and they are about the best band clamps around. Just get a regular automotive muffler clamp they work the best. The sleeve on the header pipe is welded on so that's as far up as you can go.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/16/06 at 16:38:44

Yeah, I just discovered that about the HD clamp.  Sheared the bolt off trying to get it tight enough. Cheesy

Well, I knocked off for the night after breaking the clamp.  I'll stop by an auto parts store in the morning when I get off work and buy the clamp.

It was a bit of a challenge getting the HD muff to bolt up at the tab.  Like I said, it looks like it was a LH muff rather than a RH, but I got it.  

The leak was an ever so small leak so it won't take much to close it off, just more than what the stock clamp was able to do.  Even at that, I can slice up a soda pop can and shim it if need be.

Thanks for the help!

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/16/06 at 16:40:22

In the process of checking for leaks, I must admit that the Sporty muffler sounds cool on there.  Much better than the stock muffler.  I think the bike will enjoy being rid of some of that excess weight too.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #6 - 02/17/06 at 15:55:55

had the sporty on my 06 s 40 didnt like the soot on my brake arm did sound good tho..i lossed the head pipe at the head to give me wiggle room on the upper heat shied theres two insulatotrs the head rest aginst i used those asw a refrence as i slid the muff on the hd clamp still need a beer can gasket to get a good seal jcw has reducers that work better for 3.99..irolled the hd muff with the head pipe losse and from underneath i drilled into stock arm for carrage bolt no bending needed..got a 7' crome heat shield from jcw to cover the transition..
would consider putting it back on if could aim the soot from the brake lever.. now im running a jcw turn out its one LOU son of a pipe !!

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 02/17/06 at 16:04:18

Dude;
Spend an extra $7 ($5 for 6-7" 1 3/4 extension pipe w/t 10 degree bend in the middle from your local muffler shop, $2 for the second clamp) and the installation is much easier. Oh! and no black crap on the rear brake arm Grin

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 02/17/06 at 19:09:17

This is a clamp that I use, it is STRONG STEEL WITH A THREADED BOLT FOR MAX CLAMPING FORCE.
It is found on www.jirehcycles.com, part #66-48 and 49, prices at $10.95/pr.  

These clamps WILL tighten any muffler on the header pipe.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 02/17/06 at 20:51:59

I went with the 1 3/4" muffler clamp that was mentioned earlier.  The band clamp (I had two of them) just wouldn't draw it down enough to seal up that last little leak.  Snapped the bolt off trying!

Muffler clamp works fine, you can't see it as it is hidden under the heat shield.  

The Sportster muff sounds and looks perfect on the Savage.  I may go back when the weather warms and mess with it a bit more (read - 10 degree pipe), but as it is it really doesn't look bad and it lays right in the channel that the OEM muff rested on.  

Yeah, it blows back onto the rear brake arm, but I don't figure that's a big deal.  Somebody mentioned soot on that brake arm, but its nothing that a little Honda Spray Cleaner and Polish won't keep in check.

IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #10 - 02/18/06 at 04:33:36

My solution was a little different. I went to a local custom bike shop and explained my problem. I did not like the looks of the car u-bolt clamp. He had sitting in his toolbox a clamp that is heavy steel that was chromed. It was 1 1/2" wide. The only problem was that it had a 90 degree bend to function as a lock to prevent over tightening (which is exactly what i wanted to do). My grinder made short work of the problem and I now have a nice smooth chrome look that is wide enough, and strong enough, to cover connection. He charged be about a buck for the clamp.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #11 - 02/18/06 at 05:40:04

Lancer, that's one nice looking heavyduty clamp. Might just need to "upgrade" my muffler clamp now. Grin. When will it ever end!!

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
WavJamR
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/19/06 at 10:22:08

The 10 degree bend was the perfect solution for me.  I used stainless steel clamps that are easily hidden out of the way.  You can also buy a lube to seal the gap between the components.  That's what the sport bikers with slip-ons use.

The muffler was about one inch lower than the old brace. I just built an extension to bridge the gap to bolt the muffler on.  Someone on eBay sells a better designed one (s-shaped).

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/19/06 at 15:37:35

A lube?  Tell me more about this.

I bought a high-temp exhaust wrap yesterday.  It's a fiberglass looking roll of "tape" with a chemical that you soak it in for 5 minutes prior to applying.

My question is this -- if I use the product I have (high-temp wrap), do you apply it around the pipe and then install the muffler over it, or do you apply it over the exhaust/pipe once it is fitted and then clamp the muffler/pipe/sealed joint?

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 02/19/06 at 15:46:01

Would this product be acceptable to use to seal the muffler joint as well?

http://www.permatex.com/motorcycle/RecProd.asp?automotive=yes&f_call=get_item...

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/06/24 at 19:17:57

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Need help with Sportster muff installation

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.