Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Should I take the tank off if it is pretty full? (Read 2 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Should I take the tank off if it is pretty ful
Reply #15 - 03/16/06 at 08:11:41

I do generally the same thing except I use a 5 gallon gas can and position the fuel line directly into the spout of the gas can and just let it drain... on PRI though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 03/16/06 at 08:24:51

that's me as well and just pour it back in when done. On the '95 the tank is not going to come off with the petc0ck on it without hitting the frame - no idea why, giving this and how easy it is to drain it's just the norm now - on pri it will drain all but about a tablesp00n full that I catch in a coffee can as I loosen the petc0ck.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 03/16/06 at 08:29:21

HotFix wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I have taken the tank on and off about 10 times the past couple of days.  The tank was just filled up 10 miles before.
It almost slipped out of my hands once.  It is easy to drain if you want to get ride of the fuel.  I didn't want to want 2 gallons of gas.

To drain it:

1:  Leave the bike on the stand.
2:  Turn the petc0ck to off (right)
3:  Loosen the hose clamp and pull the fuel line off the petc0ck.
4:  Get a bucket and a lawn chair
5:  Position the bucket and turn the petc0ck to reserve (you will have to hold the bucket to prevent the gas from running down the belt cover).
6:  wait a long ass time for it to drain:  you can take breaks and empty the bucket by turning the petc0ck to off

you have a modified petc0ck if it works that way as there is no off - and if gas runs out on res without vacumn.

IP Logged
WavJamR
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 03/17/06 at 21:05:08

The main reason to drain the tank is for safety sake.  The same reason we don't lube a motorcycle chain with the engine running. Or wear gloves when using a grinding wheel.

9 times out of 10 you'll probably be ok, but it's that's one time ....

Well, you know how the story usually ends  Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/11/24 at 17:24:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Should I take the tank off if it is pretty full?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.