Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
i killed the savage for good. (Read 29 times)
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: i killed the savage for good.
Reply #45 - 02/16/06 at 11:38:29

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
thats the standard warranty. we paid $400 more for the 7 year extended warranty,it's like one dollar more a month.so why not do it?

$400 for a 5-year warranty is a fantastic deal.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #46 - 02/16/06 at 11:58:01

You have to be careful when you buy extended warranty coverage. Sometimes it is not as it seems. Let me give you an example of what Suzuki is offering in Canada. On all new Suzuki purchases you get two years of Suzuki protection plan coverage in addition to the one year unlimited mileage standard warranty. This extra two years protection plan is actually underwritten by somebody called Motors Insurance Corporation. If you can get them to provide the small print you quickly learn this extra coverage is not as comprehensive as the manufacturers warranty. I don't think I have to tell anyone how difficult it is to get free repair work from an insurance company.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #47 - 02/16/06 at 13:30:39

That's true.  Most extended auto warranties are basically insurance policies, with associated deductibles.  For instance, mine has the standard 3-year/36K mile manufacturer's bumper-to-bumper warranty (and a 7-year/100K mile powertrain warranty).  Then it has a bumper-to-bumper extended warranty to take the non-powertrain portions to 6-year/72K miles but with a $100 per incident deductible.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #48 - 02/16/06 at 15:11:56

I got luck when I bought my used s40, the previous owner purchased a comprehensive 5 year extended warranty. It covers pretty much everything. I think he paid $600 for it. There were three levels, C, B, A. C is minimum. B covers C plus more. A covers B & C plus more.

Point is, you can buy extended warranties for any bike.

I don't care what bike you own, if you run it hard, it'll shorten it's lifespan. The law of decay kicks in. Things wear down & break. I don't imagine the lil' savage engine likes being pushed to extremes on a consistent basis. One cylinder to carry the load! It has to work twice as hard as a twin, so it's life might be shorter.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #49 - 02/16/06 at 16:26:19

Torque, sorry to hear about the Savage blowing up, real glad you didn't get hurt when the engine went. Maybe the bike was a lemon, have had a couple cages like that, fix one thing and something else f*cks up. Luck on your new ride be it a cruiser or sport bike and keep the rubber on the road and the wind in your hair.  Grin

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #50 - 02/16/06 at 16:38:11

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Torque, sorry to hear about the Savage blowing up, real glad you didn't get hurt when the engine went. Maybe the bike was a lemon, have had a couple cages like that, fix one thing and something else f*cks up. Luck on your new ride be it a cruiser or sport bike and keep the rubber on the road and the wind in your hair.  Grin

thanks ed-L, yeah it might have been a lemon,who knows?  as for keeping the wind in my hair,i'd rather die than not be able to ride,riding motor cycles is my life.thats why i'm going to M.M.I so i can work on them full time.  later.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #51 - 02/16/06 at 19:30:07

torque- the new h-d's are pretty nice, and if you've picked one up= there is an almost endless list of upgrades and mods that will keep you as busy and broke as you want to be.  The electrician at work has one that has so few origional parts, I think he almost has a second bike in his basement by now Cheesy
I was going to suggest a ducati monster, you can't hardly get faster or more fun for, in the used catagory, so little expense.  Personnaly, I'd get a guzzi if the fam didn't stop spending money.  Anyway, keep in touch and hope the mmi works out for you; can't help but make you even better at wrenching than you are today.  Have a blast. At almost 60, I gotta say, ride while you can..the road may be endless, but us humans aren't. Cheesy

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 02/16/06 at 20:18:58

hey good luck on hd covering the type or abuse that u dole out  Shocked theres probably a driver misuse disclamer that will cover your burn outs &red light run downs Lips Sealed
Kiss Embarrassed :'( sorry it a fact that if u always in the motor it will not hold up no bike or car will cover misuse i.e.abuse

Shawn

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #53 - 02/17/06 at 06:27:53

your such a gut buster ole shawny-boy  Tongue in my ranger i always have the pedal to the metal,i have to just to keep the dubs rolling and at 110,000 miles it hasnt gave my one single problem except for the windshield wiper motor,and that gas tank that needs to filled way to often Roll Eyes.i mean most motors are made to take abuse,like toyota who runs their engines wide open for a week straight to see if they will hold up,and they do!
harley and yamaha do similar torture test's

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #54 - 02/17/06 at 09:53:55

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
i mean most motors are made to take abuse

Sometimes they will and sometimes they won't. You play Russian roulette when you run a stock motor like a dragster. When you lose say bye bye to your motor. There's a reason why drag racers blueprint their motors, magnaflux and shotpeen parts, and use forged pistons, cranks and rods. You played the game and lost. Just don't badmouth the Savage.

Shawny-boy is probably right - that Sportster probably won't make it to 20k miles with constant abuse. And before you start whining...burnouts and frequent full throttle runs is abusive whether you like to admit it or not. I used to run automobiles just as hard or harder than you. I never blew up a motor. I do know lots of people who did.

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #55 - 02/17/06 at 10:30:02

hey it ok he is just a kid when a grows up he know that we were right.torque no pun intended Shocked good luck with what ever u buy or get just be careful u dont have to drive like a bat out of hell it ok to cruise  8)
good luck i wish i could ride today its 30 outside to cool for the savage she hates cold

good luck
shawn

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #56 - 02/17/06 at 10:45:11

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
 Personnaly, I'd get a guzzi if

hey them guzzi's are just for old geezers!  8)

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #57 - 02/17/06 at 10:46:00

Yeah, good luck with your search. It's a drag having your bike blow up, but it doesn't do any good to bad mouth the Savage, either, won't fix it. You've been talking about making a move for a while. What better opportunity than this?!? You'll be happier. Seems like a sports bike might be the best fit.

IP Logged
Starlifter
Serious Thumper

It only snows seven
months of the year
here.

Eastern Michigan
Reply #58 - 02/17/06 at 15:19:22

Yeah, good luck! Hope we don't see you in a wheel-chair or worse down the road.   Roll Eyes

Proud to be everything the right-wing hates.
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #59 - 02/18/06 at 07:36:15

bike poll  wonder why? hmmm

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 10:15:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › i killed the savage for good.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.