Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
i killed the savage for good. (Read 29 times)
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: i killed the savage for good.
Reply #30 - 02/15/06 at 18:57:39

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
That's scary!  These bikes have the reputation of being "bulletproof" but after cruising this site for a short while I'm not so sure.

These bikes are very durable. Keep in mind that Torque beat on his Savage unmercifully. His burnouts and constant abuse are what killed his Savage, not a problem inherant with the bike.

And to the Harley supporters - I'm sure you'll be rebuilding your top ends, etc. just as frequently as a Savage. You want long term durability ? Buy a liquid cooled bike or a BMW.

Torque needs a sportbike that will withstand this type of punishment. I don't think any cruiser will hold up being subjected to his style of riding.

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 02/15/06 at 20:40:27

i dont thing that a hd will hold up to that type of beating maybe a tank ??? ??? ??? Grin will hold up

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #32 - 02/16/06 at 05:44:48

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
These bikes are very durable. Keep in mind that Torque beat on his Savage unmercifully. His burnouts and constant abuse are what killed his Savage, not a problem inherant with the bike.

actually boss, my engine blew out not the clutch Roll Eyes so burnouts have nothing to do with it.

and what the hell is this constant abuse sh!t? last time i looked, riding a motorcycle around town whasn't considered abuse. but who knows?  me and u are differant,i rode the savage ,u seem to park it and polish most of the time, imo.

dont talk sh!t about me,i didnt say a phuckin thing about u turkeys

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #33 - 02/16/06 at 08:35:51

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
actually boss, my engine blew out not the clutch Roll Eyes so burnouts have nothing to do with it.

You posted your speed exploits (burnouts, etc.) on this board.

You run your bike really hard and then are surprised when the engine blows. Then you call all Savages crap. Dude, these are reliable bikes. You abused yours and you blew it up.

You make too many assumptions. I ride my bike just as much as you, only I don't run mine into the ground. Gotta go. It's 60 and I'm going riding  Grin

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 02/16/06 at 09:01:33

the bike will hold up under normal use not burn outs & seeing how fast or loud u can go from stop light to stop light Shocked ??? 8) 8) 8) Lips Sealed

sorry u said it was a p.o.s not us. Roll Eyes Lips Sealed Embarrassed Kiss

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #35 - 02/16/06 at 10:05:00

shawn_b wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
the bike will hold up under normal use not burn outs & seeing how fast or loud u can go from stop light to stop light Shocked ??? 8) 8) 8) Lips Sealed

sorry u said it was a p.o.s not us. Roll Eyes Lips Sealed Embarrassed Kiss

yeah i said the bike was a piece of sh!t,so what. but when someone says i beat on it unmercifully,thats a load of b.s. yeah there was the once a month burnout and the twice a month stop light to stop light battle,but when i lost to that 250 ninja that was the last one for me.sorry u guys think i abused my bike .but if i just wanted  to get around i'd by moped.thats not my style at all,sorry.

yeah it's 70 here today,(i got to wear the half helmet Grin) and i just came back from a perfect ride,up in the mountains,cant beat that,especially on a h-d 8)

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #36 - 02/16/06 at 10:18:56

As I said before, these Savage engines are low compression, mildly tuned reliable old tech engines. If you run them hard, guess what, nothing happens. These engines don't blow up when run hard, they simply slow down over time. You can run any engine hard but it stays  within its capacity, ie. the lower state of tune the more reliable the engine. And besides  that, Torque says he didn't abuse his engine. What makes an engine like this blow up to this extreme  is lack of maintenance, or improper wrenching. I know Torque just finished a partial engine rebuild so I would surmise something went wrong with the rebuild causing the engine to go kablamo.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 02/16/06 at 10:24:08

good for u u better get 2 jobs to keep up the repair bills on that harley $hiterson cuz it will not take the abuse that the savage did!!!!!!!!!!!!!! now theres a p.o.s for u
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

shawn  

keep american repair men working buy a harley $hiterson  they look just as good on the lift as they do on the road!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #38 - 02/16/06 at 10:25:56

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:11:
i run the sh!t out of my bike,thats why i bought it,i take excellant care of it though,i love the little thing. if i want to drive slow and wistle at the girls i,ll just drive my truck Roll Eyes

i'm glad i have to rebuild it ,i get to see what,s worn out(this will be the 7th time i have had the motor out of the bike,in a two year period Angry),it only takes a day to hone the cylinder change the cam shaft and chain,and put a new clutch in ...its just waiting for the parts that sucks.

jim-r's cam chain went out at 7,000 miles ,it cost him $1,800 to fix it.

i actually have 17,921miles

He says he runs the sh!t out of it and that he takes good care of it.  I'll believe him on both counts.  I don't think the Savage is a POS though.  I think something out of the ordinary had to have occurred to cause this; either a premature part failure or something awry in the recent rebuild (and we've all had crap go wrong or get overlooked like that before if we've done any amount of maintenance).  I don't know what the cause was but I hope Torque finds a bike that fits him.  Ride safely folks.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #39 - 02/16/06 at 10:28:22

maybe it was the rebuild ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? :'(

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #40 - 02/16/06 at 10:48:13

i already said what happed to it. Roll Eyes. and i dont really care anymore like i said time too move on too better things.

buy the way a h-d was a seven year warranty on everything except tires,rims,lightbulbs, and belts so two years after u pay it off u still have a warranty,and yes thats a seven year unlimited mile warranty on the powertrain. so i wont have to put a pennie into it for seven years, oh except for gas Wink

IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #41 - 02/16/06 at 10:52:26

Well, at any rate, it sucks that his biek died, for wahtever the reason.

My chain tensioner died at about 13k miles on a long road trip.  I was unmerciful to it:  6000 miles in 6 days at 80 or 85 mph.  It kept going, just not over 65 mph.  The bike took the me the next 800 miles, running like sh*t, to Massachusetts where it wsa rebuilt.  Runs great now.  A pal of mine had a Suzuki Haybusa.  His cam chain tensioner blew too, and he was just bopping around town at 30 mph.  It seems to me that this is a problem with suzuki's in general...

JimR, me, the 'busa, and I reacall someone else with this problem.  However, since I did get home on my trip, I still think these bikes (i.e. savages) are pretty reliable.  My budy's 'busa did not work when he lost his timing, but then again, he bent a valve.

So how many savages have died on this site?  Me, JimR, torque, maybe 2 or 3 more (I think paladin bought one with an "optional hole in the piston head"... that one looked like it was jetted way too lean... user error)... out of about 1000 site users?  so let's call it 5, no 10 just for kicks, dead savages... that's a 1% failure rate.

and again, just in general (and torque, this isn't aimed at you!), the savage is not designed to be a fast bike.  It's designed to be cheap.  $$$

Torque,  good luck with your next bike!  May I suggest an old honda cb 750?  reasonably fast and they make great choppers!

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #42 - 02/16/06 at 10:58:38

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
buy the way a h-d was a seven year warranty on everything except tires,rims,lightbulbs, and belts so two years after u pay it off u still have a warranty,and yes thats a seven year unlimited mile warranty on the powertrain. so i wont have to put a pennie into it for seven years, oh except for gas Wink

The quote below is from the Harley-Davidson website.  I looked at several models from the XL 1200L Sporrtster 1200 Low to the Ultra Classic Electra Glide and they all said the exact same thing.  There is another place that says to check with your local dealership about a free extended warranty for a limited time but it doesn't explain it.

Quote:
All models feature 5-speed transmission (Dyna™ models are 6-speed) and carbon fiber belt final drive; 40mm constant velocity carburetor with enrichener and accelerator pump (except Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection models); multi-plate clutch with diaphragm spring in oil bath; and 2-year unlimited-mileage warranty.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #43 - 02/16/06 at 11:24:05

thats the standard warranty. we paid $400 more for the 7 year extended warranty,it's like one dollar more a month.so why not do it?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #44 - 02/16/06 at 11:26:38

vroom1776 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Well, at any rate, it sucks that his biek died, for wahtever the reason.

My chain tensioner died at about 13k miles on a long road trip.  I was unmerciful to it:  6000 miles in 6 days at 80 or 85 mph.  It kept going, just not over 65 mph.  The bike took the me the next 800 miles, running like sh*t, to Massachusetts where it wsa rebuilt.  Runs great now.  A pal of mine had a Suzuki Haybusa.  His cam chain tensioner blew too, and he was just bopping around town at 30 mph.  It seems to me that this is a problem with suzuki's in general...

JimR, me, the 'busa, and I reacall someone else with this problem.  However, since I did get home on my trip, I still think these bikes (i.e. savages) are pretty reliable.  My budy's 'busa did not work when he lost his timing, but then again, he bent a valve.

So how many savages have died on this site?  Me, JimR, torque, maybe 2 or 3 more (I think paladin bought one with an "optional hole in the piston head"... that one looked like it was jetted way too lean... user error)... out of about 1000 site users?  so let's call it 5, no 10 just for kicks, dead savages... that's a 1% failure rate.

and again, just in general (and torque, this isn't aimed at you!), the savage is not designed to be a fast bike.  It's designed to be cheap.  $$$

Torque,  good luck with your next bike!  May I suggest an old honda cb 750?  reasonably fast and they make great choppers!

yeah i thought about a xs 650!! great bikes!

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 07:54:36

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › i killed the savage for good.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.