Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
i killed the savage for good. (Read 29 times)
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Re: i killed the savage for good.
Reply #15 - 02/15/06 at 06:39:31

I don't know about the rest of you guys, but this is the first time I have EVER heard about a Savage coming apart like this.  I know that when I am riding on the road my engine rarely gets below 5000 rpm...at a stop light it idles, but otherwise it is cranked up.  Something really crazy happened to yours to make it self-distruct like that.

I am sorry for your loss man.

I WOULD LIKE TO GET YOUR TOP END WHEN YOU TAKE IT APART.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #16 - 02/15/06 at 07:21:06

I am sorry for what happened to You ,
but   I think something from the rebiulding caused the problem. I have heard the excuse "it became so strong, that the rest of the parts couldn't handle the power" and it can be truth about an engine that makes 1000 HP/ lt.  This is not Your case.  Don't blame Suzuki for it. They make what the people buy.  You had the cheapest built entry-level bike.  Don't think that V-star 650 is a better bike. I personaly have it like a overprised, underpowered Virago. I don't think that Sporty is worthed the money more than any rise bike /exept for the V-star. From all the Jap companys Kaw. is the worst, like a rule /doesn't mean they don't have some good models, but they are the most mechanic unfriendly/.  
So just take it easy, let couple of days pass and start looking for somebody's Savage sitting in his back yard, and go snatch that Savage for a steal. You have all the knowledge now , So use it.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #17 - 02/15/06 at 07:41:16

slavy wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:

So just take it easy, let couple of days pass and start looking for somebody's Savage sitting in his back yard, and go snatch that Savage for a steal. You have all the knowledge now , So use it.

that aint going to happen,i'm not going to put any more money into it.your talking about buy another engine say u can find one for $400 that runs,its going to need parts too. when your spending the same amount a month to keep it running as a new bike's payments,why the hell woulnt u get a new bike ???  

it had nothing to do with the rebuild the connecting arm broke off the crank shaft. i can move the piston so it didnt freeze up.and yes there was plenty of oil.my truck bed is still filled with it Tongue

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #18 - 02/15/06 at 08:42:47

As far as cruisers go, I don't think the Savage is that behind on technology.

The LS makes 30 hp from its one jug, while the V*650 makes a massive.... 35.  Other cruisers in this range are pretty much the same, with nothing making substantially more than 40 hp except probably the Vulcan 750.  Now the 600cc sportbikes, on the other hand, produce well over 100 hp  Undecided  but they have four carburetors you have to fiddle with!

IP Logged
luckyeddy
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 02/15/06 at 08:53:34

Whenever something breaks I often ask myself "what was the last thing that was worked on" many times this will be the cause of the problem.  Happened to me once when i rebuilt the transmission in a 56 harley hummer, some of the gears "didn't get along" and the first time i shifted into 2nd gear the whole tranny broke.  Sounds like there was an oil pump/pressure issue to the lower end bearings, saw the same thing happen to a Kohler engine in a snowblower once for similar reasons.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 02/15/06 at 08:58:59

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
that aint going to happen,i'm not going to put any more money into it.your talking about buy another engine say u can find one for $400 that runs,its going to need parts too. when your spending the same amount a month to keep it running as a new bike's payments,why the hell woulnt u get a new bike ???  

it had nothing to do with the rebuild the connecting arm broke off the crank shaft. i can move the piston so it didnt freeze up.and yes there was plenty of oil.my truck bed is still filled with it Tongue

With the crank still turning, like you said it did not freeze up.  It is strange for sure, but there are freak accidents when a part will fail because of metal fatigue failure...could be it had a bad connecting rod ... it happens.

But still........BUMMER!! :'(

IP Logged
Manxman
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Reply #21 - 02/15/06 at 10:37:40

Sorry about the blow up, Torque. I can identify with that. And glad to hear you didn't get hurt. Just running out of gas on a Savage can lock the wheel. While I haven't had any problems with my wife's '97 Savage I think it's time to sell it. Not because I expect to have trouble in the near future, I just don't want to keep taking a bath on depreciation. My Sporty is worth about what I paid for it in 2002. Every month the Savage loses value no matter what extra work you add to it. Don't get me wrong, I like the bike and it was a good buy for me at the time, but the next bike addition to the Sportster will be another Harley or BMW. I was in the horse business for many years raising, training and showing Arabian horses. I learned how to make a small fortune in the horse business - start with a large fortune! But  I did learn that it costs as much to maintain a cheap, ugly horse as it does a beautiful expensive horse. Same with a bike - parts to rebuild a Savage is as much or more as it is to rebuild a Sportster and the time is about the same. Only you have to rebuild a Savage much more often than you do a Sporty. But my motto is ride what you like and like what you ride. Good luck with your next bike and keep us in the know. And keep the chrome side up.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #22 - 02/15/06 at 10:57:15

Wow, sorry to hear that but I'm glad to hear you were able to walk away from it.  Locking the rear wheel at speed is always an opportunity to eat asphalt and it's good when you stay upright and don't collide with anything.  I hope you're happy with your next bike.  You are probably better off parting this one out though.  It'll probably give you more coin-in-hand for the next one.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #23 - 02/15/06 at 11:20:24

i killed the savage for good.

No you didn't. You only wounded her. You're going to have to use that AK-47 to really have a dead Savage.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
luckyeddy
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 02/15/06 at 11:28:44

My Sporty is worth about what I paid for it in 2002. Every month the Savage loses value no matter what extra work you add to it. Don't get me wrong, I like the bike and it was a good buy for me at the time, but the next bike addition to the Sportster will be another Harley or BMW.

Worth is a relative term, Harleys are "worth" what they are for the same reason diamonds are "worth" what they are.  With diamonds the DeBeers company artificially controls price and market supply and creates a "Mistique" with their advertising methods that artificially inflates the price at any given time.  The Harley  "Image" seems to create a similar condition in which a commodity is priced well beyond what its utility or quality would normally allow.  This will become a problem for harley as the demographics of  motorcycle riders evolves and their product does not change significantly from the company blueprint (and in fact can not, as any change in product would take away from the "image" vis a vis Buell and Vrod).  I too like Harley Davidson motorcycles, but I refuse to pay more for a toy than the utility I can get from it.  (Which is also why i insist on buying used motorcycles as they have for the most part already depriciated so i dont worry about"losing their value")

IP Logged
shawn_b
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 02/15/06 at 11:52:27

hay sorry about your lost i think a sport bike might be your best bet cuz most of the posts that i have read from you are about how fast u need to go the savage is a crusier no a speed bike like the gsr650 or what ever there names are u need somthing that will do what u whant it to do and the savage is notttttttttttttttt it 8)

sorry shawn Grin

IP Logged
Manxman
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

Reply #26 - 02/15/06 at 12:48:35

Not to argue with you, Luckyeddy, but paying less that 6k (retail) for a Sportster in 2002 wasn't a bad deal considering what else was available at the time. But the true value of any commodity is not what the seller "thinks" it is worth but is determined by what a buyer is willing to pay. So as long as buyers are willing to pay 6k for a 4 year old Sporty life is sweet.

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #27 - 02/15/06 at 14:18:16

The timing on this little incident blows. But things can happen at any time, for any reason. (and some people believe that everything happens FOR a reason)

I was watching American Chopper the other night, and they had put a sweet new motor in their shelby bike. They had a problem with the oil being too thick, or too cold, or not circulating enough. They weren't sure. They decided to dyno it without any break in time at all. They siezed the motor almost immediately. They cracked the cylinder head, etc. They had to rebuild the whole thing overnight.

Here's hoping that your next bike lives long and healthy.

If I wanted a bike just for the strength of it's motor, I would buy a BMW. People seem to put a lot of miles on those bikes.

IP Logged
bobtreat
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 02/15/06 at 17:16:17

Real sorry for the loss of your ride,Happy you held er up GrinWife an i where just lookin at Harlies today and the base sporty was over 6 grand!! Could'nt hold a candle to the S50 or M50 let alone the vulcan 750 and theres money left over for creature comforts.With gas prices on the rise and insurance costs I'll keep the savage and pick another one up for the wife.150.00 bucks a yr for full coverage and 58 MPG money well spent with change to spare 8)

IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 02/15/06 at 18:16:28

I'm with bobtreat. Heck, I could have bought a Sporty 883 when I bought the Savage, but it was crampy and small for me. Ergos aren't nearly as good as the Savage! And there's definitely a monetary advantage to riding what the insurance industry deems one of the least crashed and least stolen bikes. I'm paying $120 a year through Progressive. Can't complain about that.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 07:45:59

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › i killed the savage for good.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.