Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
i killed the savage for good. (Read 29 times)
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
i killed the savage for good.
02/14/06 at 13:05:09

when i was out riding today i blew a hole in the crankcase,(yeah what fun).anyway i havent taken it apart yet.but what i can see through the gapeing hole is $1,900 in damage. kinda funny for a reliable bike Roll Eyes ahwell i dont really care,i've really outgrownthe bike pretty quick anyway,this will give me a chance to get somthing better Smiley(finally).

i'll post pics of the stupid thing soon,i should have tried lancer's nitrious kit,it least i would have been going over 50mph,when it blew. Tongue

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: i killed the savage for good.
Reply #1 - 02/14/06 at 13:08:38

How did you manage that?  And you can get a used Savage, running, in Gilroy, for $800.

WWW   IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #2 - 02/14/06 at 13:23:36

i dont know what really gave out,it was somthing on the bottom end,i know the counter balencer shot out of the front of the engine case denting the down tube.

when it happened the back tire locked up,which was covered by all the oil,and i slid into oncoming traffic,but i did manage to keep it upright so theres no damage to the bike besides the gapeing hole in the engine Roll Eyes. i origanally thought i blew a tire.

if any of u guys want it $600 bucks custom paint and and forward controls.but if u dont want it i'll just shoot it with the 30 round ak-47.

IP Logged
rokrover
2005 No Login

torkenstein

SoCal
Reply #3 - 02/14/06 at 13:27:53

That's scary!  These bikes have the reputation of being "bulletproof" but after cruising this site for a short while I'm not so sure.  No.1 baddie seems to be the cam chain going and toasting the top end.  Now there's this bottom end fragmentation!  What next?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #4 - 02/14/06 at 16:54:47

rokrover wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
That's scary!  These bikes have the reputation of being "bulletproof" but after cruising this site for a short while I'm not so sure.  No.1 baddie seems to be the cam chain going and toasting the top end.  Now there's this bottom end fragmentation!  What next?

yeah i'll never buy a suzuxi p.o.s. ever again.their quality and fit and finish is the worst i've seen. but it was easy to work on besides having to take the tank off to change the spark plug Roll Eyes and having to put thousands of dollars into it to make it comfortable,good looking,and actually get it up to a mind blowing 90mph Shocked no thanks.  newbies or guests...save your money,seriosly. wait a year then buy what u really want, like a 1200 sporty,or the honda vtx,or even the yammy 650 v*.

p.s , we'll see if its bullet proof Wink

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #5 - 02/14/06 at 17:48:38

Hmmm, seems funny the engine let go just after you "rebuilt" it.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #6 - 02/14/06 at 18:19:47

well my dad looked at it and it was the connecting arm that broke which we didnt touch on the rebuild,but we should have because,i talked to my uncle who builds engines for nascar and he said if we rebuilt the top end,the "like new" compression on the top end was too much for the bottom end to handle. so when u do a rebuild plan on spending 3 grand to do it right.

i had 18,000 miles on the bike,the owners manuel says life expectantcy is 13,000 miles,so i guess i got my money's worth out of it Undecided

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #7 - 02/14/06 at 18:31:48

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
,the owners manuel says life expectantcy is 13,000 miles,so i guess i got my money's worth out of it Undecided

I don't buy that. These low compression mildly tuned old technology engines will go well past 13k before needing a rebuild.

BTW where did the connecting rod break? Was it at the big end or small end?

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #8 - 02/14/06 at 19:51:09

torque wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
if any of u guys want it $600 bucks custom paint and and forward controls.but if u dont want it i'll just shoot it with the 30 round ak-47.

How about parting it out?
I'd love to get my hands on a cheap fender w/ accessories (lights, siderails, sissy bar) to chop and rework.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #9 - 02/14/06 at 20:03:07

bummer torque,  i know the feeling, i killed my gn 400 but the good news is it led me here.  

honestly, i think it's a blessing in disguise for you.  while i've enjoyed your company here, it feels like you have never been quite satisisfied with your savage. and thats kewl.  

if i were in your situation i would buy another savage and and use it for spare parts.  

i think the parting out option would get you more than six hundered, but then again blowing the crap out of it could be fun, if that's the option take pictures.

peas owt sluggo

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #10 - 02/14/06 at 21:06:54

Wow, that sucks. Sorry to hear it. May you have better luck with your next bike. Too bad you can't just pick up a used motor and drop it in.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #11 - 02/14/06 at 22:30:47

at LEAST you survived the traffic to tell your story!! 8)

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #12 - 02/14/06 at 22:45:18

Thumperclone is absolutley right! Cheesy  The real story here is that you're safe and weren't turned off biking all together - that would suck...  Angry
Sad to lose you Sad, but enjoy the Sportster 8)...you buying new or used? Send pictures when you've got it the way you want it.  (you think the Savage was $$ to get it "just right"? You have not yet begun to spend! Wink)

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/15/06 at 04:31:41

Yeah I agree, the important thing is u are safe.  I bet that was scarry as crap.  I dont see how u didnt spill either.  With all the money that u have already spent and now u need even more parts and ect I would cut my losses and sell the parts.  Unless someone here has a spare running engine for sale that is.   The closest one I found was in Ohio and it was from an 88 which I dont know would work with a 98.

I thought about selling mine and still ponder the idea.  Only bad thing is I dont want payments for another bike as well as high insurance.  Maybe I can get a hot tub hehe.  jk

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #14 - 02/15/06 at 06:34:27

yeah,im lucky i didn't get killed.but awhile ago i was going to trade my truck for a 883 sportster and a 96 mustang,but that deal didn't work out. im really thinking about a sport bike,maybe a new 500 or 650 ninja,my dad works six and half days a week so the sporty1200c is mine most of the time so i really dont want another one.

yeah my brother got the savage for his first bike,he didnt do any research on it ,kind of an impulse buy,and he out grew it in less than 7 months,he couldn't stand the buzy a$s motor. so when he left for iraq 3 years ago,he gave me the savage as a "hope u dont die" present. but the first year and a half i didnt ride it because i was 17 working third shift 70 hours a week,so when i finally started to ride the savage probably in 2004,i fixed the factory oil leak,then kept fixing it ever since,so i only got to ride it 11 months the rest was down time.yeah i've never been satisfied with it. a 650 with the power of a 125,yeah it's small but thers a million small bikes out there that dont copy the technolgy of a lawn mower.

i might part it out, it does have brand new paint  Roll Eyes

the only positive thing that came out of the savage was meeting the people on this forum and most of all meeting jim_r.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 05:38:00

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › i killed the savage for good.

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.