Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Question on Exhaust Modification (Read 39 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Question on Exhaust Modification
02/12/06 at 18:08:57

I realize the answer I'm looking for will probably be as subjective as "dino vs. synthetic oil" or "standard spark plugs vs. iridium", and I'm certainly not looking to spark any kind of a debate at all! Cheesy

I want to look into doing the muffler upgrade at some point.  I know from searching the posts that some use Sportster muffs, others use DynaGlide muffs, yet others use SuperTrapp, MAC and Jardine.

My question(s) are as follows...

1.)  Regarding the Sportster mufflers -- are there particular years of the Sportster mufflers that work better than others regarding fit?

2.)  Which mufflers out there are pretty much straight bolt-ups and don't require any modification?  Are any of them that way?

3.)  Is there any general concensus among the forum members which is the overall better way to go with a muffler?

I ask because I'd like to start watching eBay for HD mufflers, but I don't want to be bidding on the wrong thing and wind up with something that just can't be used.

If I've overlooked something in the hundreds of posts on this subject, I apologize in advance!!!  Thanks!

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Re: Question on Exhaust Modification
Reply #1 - 02/12/06 at 18:17:12

I have a sportster muffler on my 2001. I bought it on E-bay for $37.00 plus $11.00 shipping. I like the sound.
It is not loud, it just sounds deep and throaty. I had to bend the mounting tab with a hammer. I used some thin sheet metal and some muffler sealer in a tube from the parts store to seal it up. I bought a 7" chrome cover from JCW to cover up the joint. If you would like to listen to a short sound file, I can e-mail it to you.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/12/06 at 18:21:11

You've got mail... Smiley

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 02/12/06 at 18:21:57

The MAC is a straight bolt-on and works well.  It is a bit loud but performs very well.  I have it on mine.

http://www.macperformance.com/

The Raask dragpipe is a high quality single piece pipe that replaces the header and muffler and I'm pretty sure it's a direct bolt-on too.

http://www.raask.se/

There are also Jardines and Supertrapps made specifically for the Savage/S40.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/12/06 at 21:22:48

I have a SE II slash cut and I like how it sounds and looks.  However I would purchase a turn out if I had to do it again to keep the muffler exhaust off the brake.  I would guess that all sportster mufflers fit pretty much the same.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/12/06 at 21:50:55

I appreciate all the responses so far!  I was viewing a thread over in the technical section that looks like the Sportster pipe is pretty straightforward, just bending the tab and drilling a new hole to mount to the bike itself.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #6 - 02/13/06 at 01:47:56

The Raask exhaust would be an easy bolt on and would yield good performance. I put a Supertrapp on mine because I like it's looks as well as it's sound. It has more of an OEM look to it. I had to remove some metal off the end of the header pipe so the mounting bolts would line up. This was a minor PIA.

Most of the Harley mufflers require some fabrication to install. They need a short piece of pipe with a 10 degree bend in it to kick it out a bit. Without this they dump right onto the rear brake. Some have had interference problems with the rear brake cable without the adapter pipe.

If you look in the Technical Documents/Reference area here you will find sound clips of most of the mufflers. The sound clips are what really sold me on the Supertrapp. It has a really nice mellow note Grin

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/13/06 at 02:06:15

Those sound files don't seem to work.   Embarrassed

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #8 - 02/13/06 at 05:38:29

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Those sound files don't seem to work.   Embarrassed

Darn. Those are some dead links. Hey Paladin, are you hosting those soundfiles ?

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #9 - 02/13/06 at 07:35:17

I've uploaded the sound files to this site's storage and modified the links.  It should be okay now.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
tankerblaze
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 02/13/06 at 10:59:10

Sound files available for Jardine Slashcut exhaust here. Describing the sound is fairly simple... END OF THE WORLD loud. Aside from the obvious aesthetic affect, the bike is also pulling a LOT harder than she was with the stock pipe. I'm able to pull the front end off the ground easily now!

e-mail for files:
michael.blaz@gmail.com

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/13/06 at 13:03:33

OK, I found some Sportster pipes on eBay.  I need a little education from you guys though...

Seller says there are two different types of mufflers that fit the Sportster.  One has the single tab on the barrel of the muffler, and the other has a "rail type" mounting, whatever that is.

Will either of these work, or is the single tab the one I want?

Thanks!
Tom

IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 02/13/06 at 13:57:22

Hey..  both will fit..  the one with the single tab has to be bent (the tab) there are pictures on this forum wich show how, to fit the bracket.. and drill a hole.  The  "rail type" mounting, fits directly onto the bracket without modification..  but will blow exhaust directly onto brakes/cable if it isn't a turnout.  modification is needed to point exhaust from brake if muffler is slash or straight back...    mine is a "rail type" turnout.

one with tab

and like mine with "rail"

WWW   IP Logged
Capt._Capsize
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 02/14/06 at 08:31:10

Howdy, many riders are paying too much for their Sportster mufflers.  Try all the independent V twin shops and custom shops in your area.  I can find these muffs all day long for 15 to 25 bucks.  I started this fad some 5 years ago on the Bert Heise Savage forum and am on my third Savage.  I have or had a Sportster muff on all of them.  I use a 6" piece of exhaust pipe with about a 10 degree bend in it to clear the brake lever.   The pipe ends should be stretched to make a perfect fit with the header pipe and muff.   The muffler mount requires a slight downward bend to make things line up without stressing anything.  I bent mine by heating with a torch and using a big crescent wrench for leverage.  I recommend the white spacer mod and jet change before the muffler change.  The engine is set up too lean as it is and a freer flowing exhaust will only make it worse, even to the point of engine damage.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #14 - 02/14/06 at 10:19:31

That's for sure.  There are plenty of mufflers on ebay as well that are very cheap.  I buy PAIRS  of mufflers on dk-trader's site store for $25-30 + $15 shp.  There are dozens of these for sale...you could open a Harley muffler shop with all of these if you wanted to buy that many.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/07/24 at 17:12:07

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Question on Exhaust Modification

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.