Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Just installed new Progressives (Read 26 times)
pgolden
Ex Member

Just installed new Progressives
02/11/06 at 16:05:16

I just came in from installing my new 11.5" progressive 412-4200 shocks. This was by far the easiest mod I've done so far. I got my 14 yr old to help, we were finished in about 10 minutes. It is too cold to ride, but I can tell by sitting on the bike and bouncing, it will have a softer ride. It raised my bike almost 2 inches. I bought them from Eastern performance for $163.95 NIB delivered.

IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Re: Just installed new Progressives
Reply #1 - 02/11/06 at 16:41:19

I don't care how cold it is out there. Now get on that sucker and ride. Give us a ride report on them new suspenders.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #2 - 02/12/06 at 17:34:53

Me too me too!!  I just put on my 412-4232.  I got them from mawonline for 199 with shipping.   My husband picked up the back of the bike so I could put them on.  Yahoo.  I went around the block a few time dodging the ice Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/12/06 at 17:39:50

I may be showing my ignorance here, so feel free to tell me if I am! Cheesy  But, I've read in various places that if you do something to one end of the bike suspension wise, that you should do the same to the other end to counteract any ill handling.

Is this true?  When you guys mod your rear suspensions, do you also do accordingly to the front suspension?  Or do you notice any difference in the handling characteristics of the bike?

Tom

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/12/06 at 18:00:26

Just got in from short ride. I drove on a road with lots of rough spots. The stock shocks had hardly any give, the bumps went straight to my seat. The new shocks absorb the bumps. The difference is amazing! I didn't realize how stiff the stock shocks were til now. It's not a mushy ride, but it is soft. I have the adjustment in the third notch. I can't tell any difference in the handling, just the smoother ride. My kickstand seems a little short now.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #5 - 02/12/06 at 18:17:45

Yeah, I'm thinking about modifying the sidestand on mine.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #6 - 02/12/06 at 19:25:56

I finally got around to modifying my sidestand since going with the longer shocks. I used to have an aluminum nut glued under the pad but it was still too short so I broke it off & cut off a 3" long 1" square aluminum block & drilled a hole in it. Then drilled a hole through the sidestand pad & bolted it on. It swiveled around a bit so I just put a dab of JB Weld glue on it. Doesn't look like it's about to fall over anymore. Got the aluminum square tubing at my favorite Savage parts supplier; Home Depot. Grin I hope the aluminum is strong enough. If it collapses I'll try it again with steel.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/12/06 at 21:33:11

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I may be showing my ignorance here, so feel free to tell me if I am! Cheesy  But, I've read in various places that if you do something to one end of the bike suspension wise, that you should do the same to the other end to counteract any ill handling.

Is this true?  When you guys mod your rear suspensions, do you also do accordingly to the front suspension?  Or do you notice any difference in the handling characteristics of the bike?

Tom

I would guess what they mean by that is that it changes the geometry of your bike.  On the Savage taller shocks tighten the downtubes angle which makes the steering more sensitive to imput, but not enough to be bad.  I'm about to find out with mine, but I'm guessing that it will actually be good.  If you lower a bike it does the revearse, and if your cruiser is already maxed out in that regard then I guess it could be a bad thing.  

Anyone, am I off target on this?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 02/12/06 at 23:14:33

The 4232 and 4233 are both 11" shocks and the extra lift is less than 1 inch - both have more initial give to them than the stock spring so as soon as you sit on the bike (if you matched the load to the correct model and the preload is corrrect) it's back to very near the stock height. now how the 12 or 13 inch shocks with several inches of lift makes the  bike handle I do not know.

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #9 - 02/13/06 at 14:18:43

Just as PGolden said, the standard shocks are h3ll to the rear, hence the saying 'monkeya$$'.
I had found a set of 12" shocks on eBay.com but the seller (from Nevada) claims no sell outside of US because of Credit Card fraud. Angry
I understand his point of view, but I've never heard of anybody cheating through AMEX and getting away with it. Tongue
Anybody got a set of cheap but useable 12" shocks?

Maurizio

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 02/13/06 at 18:25:40

mpescatori wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Just as PGolden said, the standard shocks are h3ll to the rear, hence the saying 'monkeya$$'.
I had found a set of 12" shocks on eBay.com but the seller (from Nevada) claims no sell outside of US because of Credit Card fraud. Angry
I understand his point of view, but I've never heard of anybody cheating through AMEX and getting away with it. Tongue
Anybody got a set of cheap but useable 12" shocks?

Maurizio

That is what Paypal and Bidpay are for, to protect both the buyer and seller.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 02/13/06 at 19:02:32

bikingb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Me too me too!!  I just put on my 412-4232.  I got them from mawonline for 199 with shipping.   My husband picked up the back of the bike so I could put them on.  Yahoo.  I went around the block a few time dodging the ice Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Ok, you've had time to ride and ride - time to dial them in - maybe about the 2nd click?

IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/15/06 at 18:32:17

Grin

Well that was something!
It took two hours to get all the stuff together to make the stand to prop the bike up and then 15 minutes to take the factory shocks off lower the rear tire and install the Progressive 412-4200C shocks. As someone said it was the easiest mod I have done (building the prop was more work).
I used two 2x6 and a third 2x6 across the side of the two, Then the flange and pipe. Lowes of course didn't have 3/4 pipe and flange so I got a one inch. All the better to grab ahold of. Those three together were perfect distance to lift the rear tire. This gave me about 6 inches rise when I lifted the bike up. Then I wedged the tire with two boards, one under the other like a fulcrum. I took the two shocks off, pulled the the wedge out, and it was exactly the right height for the new shocks. Then put the shims on, then the shocks, tightened them down (there were shims in the package that were just right for the stems where the others came off). And then backed off the prop and out for a ride.
What I found was that they come set at lowest level and that is not enough for me. I saw an improvement but I think I still need to do more.
So tomorrow I'll try at two up and see how it rides. I did find the higher seat was much more comfortable in the 20 minute ride I made (I have already done the seat mod).
Now to add something to the kick stand to raise the angle of tilt when at rest. Wanted a real hocky puck but all the Academy store here had were the plastic hollow ones. I think a puck etched out the shape of the end of the stand and then glued on would be the right height and look just odd enough to be interesting.
Next up is to work on remaking the "Savage" bags so they fit the Savage. And installing the bag stand-offs. But first I was called in to work extra tomorrow. Maybe if it doesn't get nasty this weekend I can figure out the bag stand-offs, and the proper bounce on the shocks.
Cheesy
Bill

In the Wilds of West Texas

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 02/16/06 at 05:33:56

Glad to hear it went so easily.  Good job.  With the higher shocks, installing the saddlebag supports without lifting the bike will be easier.  Of course the homemade lift is pretty quick to use too.  I discovered that I needed to add to the lift after putting on my 12.5" shocks though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #14 - 02/16/06 at 05:44:21

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Ok, you've had time to ride and ride - time to dial them in - maybe about the 2nd click?

It started out at one and I went two clicks up from that so I think I'm on three.  Got to ride yesterday a little before the big snow storm today. Wow, what a difference.  I can hardly wait to go on a long ride.   Last night I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/08/24 at 23:25:42

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just installed new Progressives

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.