Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Just installed new Progressives (Read 26 times)
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Just installed new Progressives
Reply #15 - 02/16/06 at 05:52:06

good job, that 4200c specs look good - how much lift did you end up with? - could you measure it like this....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #16 - 02/16/06 at 05:59:52

bikingb wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
It started out at one and I went two clicks up from that so I think I'm on three.  Got to ride yesterday a little before the big snow storm today. Wow, what a difference.  I can hardly wait to go on a long ride.   Last night I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.  

Makes a remarkable difference once the rear suspension starts to work bit more doesn't it?

IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 02/16/06 at 06:13:09

Now, what did you use to move the shock to go up levels?
I tried a non-metal wrench (the Craftsman strap wrench) last night and it didn't move.
On the OEM ones you used a screw driver, but I don't see the same hole to do that. I have large vise grips/channel locks but I don't want to mark the shock.
I didn't measure the stock height, but I had 7 inches of wood (2x 5.5 and 2x 1.5) under the chassis, with 3 inches clearance for the rear tire. And after I took OEM shocks off, the tire was on the ground. And these are 1 1/2 in longer than stock.
I guess I will have to add a 2x6 to the top of the block to get it up for tire changes.
I need to work on the shocks and get settings done today as we are also expecting rain this weekend.
Wink
Bill

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #18 - 02/16/06 at 06:15:05

SirWilhelm wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Now, what did you use to move the shock to go up levels? I tried a non-metal wrench last night and it didn't move. On the OEM ones you used a screw driver, but I don't see the same hole to do that. And I have large vise grops/channel locks but I don't want to mark th shock.
I didn't measure the stock height, but I had 6 inches of wood under the chassis, with 3 inches clearance for the rear tire. And after I took OEM shocks off, it was on the ground.
and these are 1 1/2 in longer than stock.
Need to work on the shocks and get settings done today as we are also expecting rain this weekend.
Wink
Bill

Hmm, my Progressive shocks came with a spanner wrench for that purpose... similar to the one below.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 02/16/06 at 06:24:04

That's what is missing!
???

Oops. It was in the box, under packing cardboard.
Tnx
Grin

IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #20 - 02/16/06 at 16:45:06

Out this afternoon in the heat (92F) and riding around for 2 hours to see how the shocks played at the 3rd notch. Much easier that OEM-stock ones, and the height of the saddle was so nice when stopped at lights.
But, I did find a problem. With the increased angle to the ground of the kick stand, when I filled with gas while on the stand and then leveled the bike, guess what oozed out from under the cap?
Ch...... So I learned that we will fill up, with bike upright.
Did find a real hockey puck and will try to find some liquid weld or something to attach it to the kick stand. Depending on the resulting angle I might have to use two, but we'll try one first.
But the ride is noticeably improved!
Still not like in the car, but more like a 74 Ford Pickup.
Steering is so nice now. I am going to get either of the fork braces, as I could see and feel the front wobble at 70 on our fine roads here.
Came around a corner, at 15, and saw the loose gravel, straightened, but still had some rear slide. But stayed up and on the road, although did cross line into oncoming. Luckily it was a neighborhood street and no traffic on it.
Thanks for the help guys. Now to get some more miles and learning under the belt.
Oh, and with the new fender height, the saddle bag brackets were a breeze to put on. Did wish I had the racheted box end  set in metric, as it was a bit slow. I added two washers on each bolt and all tightened down nicely without going thru the nut.
Cheers
Bill

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #21 - 02/17/06 at 05:52:27

Yeah, I've become a real fan of GearWrench Flex Head Wrenches.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #22 - 02/17/06 at 18:53:51

I have the fixed ones and really want the flex head ones. The fixed head ones I have have a switch to change direction so that they are not stuck going one way. I found the fixed head at Sears at Christmas on sale. Now waiting for next tool sale to get the flex head ones with the direction change flip changer. Sure beats socket wrench and head in a tight space (under the fender, etc.)
Bill
Cheesy

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 02/18/06 at 07:32:26

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
good job, that 4200c specs look good - how much lift did you end up with? - could you measure it like this....

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...  

I got 1 1/4" lift with the 11.5", but the seat is 1 3/4" higher. (Til I sit on the bike)

IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 02/19/06 at 08:07:09

Regarding photos, I was going to take photos of making the lift, then decided 21F was too cold to mess around outside. There is the link in the Tech section that shows a Harley based one. I used wood on hand which was 2x6 and added one across the ends of the two bolted together. And I didn't drill a hole for the pipe all the way thru, I just mounted the flange with four good screws. If I were doing repais on a regular basis, I would add carpet to the cycle side, and maybe eye hooks for tie downs. And drill the hole for the pipe all the way thru, just to make sure it doesn't pull off in the middle of lifting. As to length they said four foot, but I made mine 3 feet and it was more than wide enough for the Savage. Again, if I was regularly doing mods where I needed to arinse the bike, I'd get more elaborate. But......

Here is the link from the tech section:
http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/bikelift.htm

Darned Texas weather. One day 85F and the next 21F.
I'm ready for spring.
Cheesy

IP Logged
Bobster
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 02/20/06 at 08:52:33

pgolden wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I just came in from installing my new 11.5" progressive 412-4200 shocks. This was by far the easiest mod I've done so far. I got my 14 yr old to help, we were finished in about 10 minutes. It is too cold to ride, but I can tell by sitting on the bike and bouncing, it will have a softer ride. It raised my bike almost 2 inches. I bought them from Eastern performance for $163.95 NIB delivered.
I didnt see the size i need. The 412-4232C. And, they all seem to list for $179 + shipping???

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #26 - 02/20/06 at 10:14:18

4232c is for lighter loads the 4233c is for a bit heaver load - yes I had talked to them in the past and they won't discount it much if they don't stock it for some reason or other

IP Logged
Bobster
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 02/20/06 at 14:09:04

Reelthing wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
4232c is for lighter loads the 4233c is for a bit heaver load - yes I had talked to them in the past and they won't discount it much if they don't stock it for some reason or other
Yea i know the difference. Thats why i need the 32's cause i weigh 140 lbs. I was just wondering how pgolden got his so cheap.

IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 02/20/06 at 14:38:41

I got mine from the same dealer, and they had them on eBay and I just watched for him to post the ones I wanted. Versus going to their store site.
Need to go ride, it has warmed here from 25 to 65F
Cheers

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 02/21/06 at 07:11:13

I also got mine on E-bay. It was a buy-it-now I can't believe I got the exact shocks I wanted but I did. They were for metric cruisers and the bushings fit perfectly. I would highly recommend the 412-4200 shocks.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/09/24 at 01:22:31

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just installed new Progressives

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.