Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
carb thing? Screaming eagle (Read 33 times)
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

carb thing? Screaming eagle
02/11/06 at 02:32:39

Hi. I am new on this forum.. I got my Savage last year and really happy with it...  I have just installed Screaming Eagle muffler

a huge different.. not just the sound but the size.. the stock garbage can looks horrible.  I desided to go for the Turnout muffler so I didn't get the problem with exahust burning the rear brake cable.  
I got the bike off a lady who got it from another lady.. so she didn't know what had been done to it..  so now I'm using those cold winter months to learn about my bike.  and there is one thing I can't figure out what is(I have the Clymer manual). another Savage owner asked me about what I had done. His bike, a '96 does not have that. Mine is a '97. I couldn't answear him..  so if somene inn here could tell me what this is .. I would be very grateful.  It has something to do with the fuel..  when I roll the gas all the way... it pushes onto some swich... put i don't know what it does...

can anyone help?

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Re: carb thing? Screaming eagle
Reply #1 - 02/11/06 at 04:06:58

The switch is connected to the CDI ( the black box behind the LH side panel). It modifies the ignition timing at full throttle. Get rid of it and you can do what ever you like on the carburator, e.g. removal of white spacer installing larger mainjet .

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 02/11/06 at 04:26:05

Is it a bad thing?  Did the previous owner install this or does this come with som models?

now it says in the Clymer manual that the Savage comes with (as far as I can see) 4 different carburetor models..  of Mikuni BS40SS..  the 24B00, 24B20, 24C4 and 24C6 all with different sized jets and specs...   on my carburator it says 24C7 .. how can I find out what spesification it has... Im looking on the net ..  but nothing...

WWW   IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #3 - 02/11/06 at 07:08:48

When You install the "new" muff, You let more air to go thru the engine. You need ti fix the problem with more fuel. If Your bike has been a little bit lean with the old set-up, just go 2 sizes UP on the main jet /first see what you have now and go from there/ and raise the needle 1-1.5 mm UP, so depending do You have different clip positions or You have a spacer only, You can approach the problem different way. The electrical component /TPS/ will not make any difference in th e jetting, but if it is me and it is not brocken, I'd leave it connected. If it is in the way, I'd discard it.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/11/06 at 18:53:36

I'm very interested to hear about what adaptations and stuff you had to to do to make the Screaming Eagle fit the Savage. Some of us might go the Screaming Eagle route...

IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #5 - 02/12/06 at 02:17:04

The muffler is 1 3/4" and I got with it a thin "skim" wich was supose to do the work but it was to small.  See picture (1)

So then I ordered a reducer 1 3/4" to 1 1/2" see picture (2)  that fitted perfectly into the muffler but the header pipe wich is 1 1/2" has some thing around it wich doesn't come off...So it isn't really a 1 1/2" pipe, the reducer was useless.  Then I went to the hardware store and bought a steel plate (3) it was thinner than the reducer and I bent it to fit around the headerpipe..  but then I had a hard time fitting the muffler onto it, it was still to thick. I found to cobber plates in my basement.. I cut out a bit from the thicker and fitted it around the pipe....(4)  but still to thick..  the thinner plate is not on the picture (it is on the bike) it is about the same thickness+ as (1) only wider (as wide as the reducer ) and has a snug fit all around the headerpipe.  

The muffler fitted onto the bracket with out a problem, no bending or nothing.  
There is only one bolt that holds it to the bracket but it looks and fells secure enough.

As I went for the Turnout I didn't have to think about exhaust blowing back onto brakes.

Now I'm just waiting to get my heat shield..  been waiting for 5 weeks..... how long does it really take to deliver a thin metal plate from the States over to Europe.

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #6 - 02/12/06 at 04:53:10

Fat Bastard wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Is it a bad thing?  Did the previous owner install this or does this come with som models?

It's not bad. It reduces power in 3rd and 4th gear ( don't ask me how the CDI knows in which gear it is, I got this information from the German forum.
http://www.ls-650.de

I presume you live somewhere in Europe as this mod. is only on European bikes.

Love your very clear pictures about the installation of the Screaming Eagle.

Does it make more noise?

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 02/12/06 at 06:36:00

Hey  Kropatchek.. can you link me to the thread on the forum wich explaines this..  my german ain't good..  but I can stumble trough short "stories".
I have started the bike and the deep sound is great.  It is loud but I can't say until I take it outside and testride...  In the closed confined space of the garage I think everything sounds really loud...  But as is, the snow is covering everything..  In case that it is to loud and my ear hurts after the first ride i bought a 4" mini baffle.

if I cut off the piece inside the red circle, it will fit directly into the headerpipe and only thing I need to do is to drill a small hole and secure with a small bolt.   then it should be little quieter and also get more back pressure.. As is the muffler has a metal plate inside to produce back pressure but at the same time let most of the sound slip by..   I won't do anything if it isn't absolutly necessary..  cause I want the sound to be loud. but not LOUD!!!!

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #8 - 02/15/06 at 01:47:32

Fat Bastard wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
now it says in the Clymer manual that the Savage comes with (as far as I can see) 4 different carburetor models..  of Mikuni BS40SS..  the 24B00, 24B20, 24C4 and 24C6 all with different sized jets and specs...   on my carburator it says 24C7 .. how can I find out what spesification it has... Im looking on the net ..  but nothing...    

Checked my Suzuki Savage Workshop Manual ( Mine includes up to 1999 specs)

24C6 and 24C7

Main Jet                #125
Jet Needle              5C40-2nd
Needle Jet              X7
Trhrottle Valve       #120
Pilot Jet                 #47.5
Pilot Sc$ew            1 3/4 Turns back for C6 and
                             1 1/2  Turns for C7

Hope this helps

Greetz

Kropatchek Grin

IP Logged
Fat Bastard
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 02/15/06 at 03:26:40

It sure does..  exactly what I was looking for..   Thanks.
Now .. before (last summer) it didn't backfire at all (only if I turned the throttle and turned it off wright away, than it gave a big boom, kind a cool)   It looks like there has been some modifications to the carb..as it didn't backfire..  the picture shows the pilot screw, in the open.  

If I just knew what had been done.. it would make things much easier...  Now I'm just going to see if it backfires with the SE muff and take a look at the sparkplugg after the maiden voiage this spring....

WWW   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Reply #10 - 02/15/06 at 06:27:39

Look for the posts "White spacer" I suggest you read all of it to make up your mind what to do.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #11 - 02/16/06 at 02:18:46

Does anybody know the main air jet size for the Savage, as this can effect the main jet size required.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #12 - 02/16/06 at 06:03:01

klx650sm2002 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Does anybody know the main air jet size for the Savage, as this can effect the main jet size required.

Clive W  Cheesy

Carb Specs. from the Tech forum.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #13 - 02/17/06 at 02:25:07

Hey Rob, thanks man. They all appear to be 0.6mm.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/25/24 at 17:13:02

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › carb thing? Screaming eagle

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.