Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AGGG!  Soft metel (Read 4 times)
Hammy211
Ex Member

AGGG!  Soft metel
02/10/06 at 23:46:52

In the process of trying to get off my front wheel my socket cracked and the bolt is rounded off big time.  There is no way I am going to be able to loosen it now so I am force to find some other way.  If I drill out the smaller allen bolt on the other side(also now stripped) will that free up the axle?  Then I will just be left with the problem of where to find a replacement axle assmebly.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: AGGG!  Soft metel
Reply #1 - 02/11/06 at 07:01:23

if u dont take #10 out first the axle will not turn whatsoever.

looky here

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 02/11/06 at 13:17:35

I have that allen loose already.  Is there another page that confirms drilling the smaller bolt on the bikes left side would accomplish what I need?  I did not notice #8 when I was loosening things.  I'll have to go out and see if that would make a difference.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #3 - 02/11/06 at 14:43:22

#8 is when u take your forks apart,u dont need that now.what smaller bolt are u talking about? there should not be any bolts on the left side of the bike(when your sitting on the bike) that have anything 2 do with getting the axle out.i have a 98 it might be differant,but all i have to do is take out that allen screw u did,then loosen and remove axle,everything is on the right side fork tube(when sitting on the bike).

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 02/12/06 at 05:19:50

I have a '97.  One the left side there is a small allen head bolt that is where the large axle bolt is on the right side.  If that's not going to help me any idea how I can get this thing off?  I tried a new socket with no luck.  Tried with my nice vice grips as a last resort and it still didn't budge.

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #5 - 02/12/06 at 06:00:36

Hammy211 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I have a '97.  One the left side there is a small allen head bolt that is where the large axle bolt is on the right side.  If that's not going to help me any idea how I can get this thing off?  I tried a new socket with no luck.  Tried with my nice vice grips as a last resort and it still didn't budge.  

ahha, thats not a bolt... thats the end of the axle it sticks out a little on the left side,and it does have a little hole in the middle of it but think its a tooling mark when they turned the axle on a lathe.

as for getting it off,i would try to hammer a smaller size socket on to the axle,use quallity sockets,perferably inpact sockets,and after u hammer that on ,use a impact gun, or just hit the handle of your socket the the hammer.if that dont work i could try to weld a piece of metal to the axle,or if u cant get to a welder,use jb weld,all u have to do there is get a piece of metal for your handle,then drill a hole in it and the axle,then use a metal screw to hold the handle to the axle,but before u do that mix the jb weld and put it on both parts and in the holes u drilled then put the screw in and tighten it then wait over night till it dries.

or i think u can take the forks off of the triple trees and then just pull the right fork leg off ???

IP Logged
Hammy211
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/22/06 at 00:08:18

Thanks torque.  I trashed a couple of sockets, but eventually I got a 1/2" on there.

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/07/24 at 22:29:09

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › AGGG!  Soft metel

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.