Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fuel cap (Read 5 times)
911radioman
Ex Member

Fuel cap
02/10/06 at 14:23:25

I did a search before posting this, didn't seem to find what I was looking for so pardon me if I missed it somehow!

I'm noticing some gas leaking out around the fuel cap and running down the tank.  I checked the cap to make sure it was seated and locked securely - it is.  

Question -- is there an issue with these fuel caps I need to be aware of?  Does the gasket need replaced on it or should I just spring for a new cap?

Any help will sure be appreciated! Smiley

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Fuel cap
Reply #1 - 02/10/06 at 14:45:54

i dont think u can buy a new seal,i tryed to at a local gasket shop,but the stock gasket has a metal backing on it to make it stiffer. i mixed up some clear coat and heavily applied it around the filler tube... it made the seal fit super tight. keep in mind that the gas tank vents through the gas cap.

IP Logged
thumperclone
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

PGR rider  riding
with respect

Grand Junction Colorado
Reply #2 - 02/10/06 at 14:46:34

ive had my s40 for about ten days now. on my first fuel up i filled up with the bike on the side stand..when i leveled it back up gas came out from under the the cap.now i sit on the bike and hold it level while fueling..only to the bottom of the neck!!i would think the cap needs to breath for fuel to flow..hope this helps.

standing for those who stood for US

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 02/10/06 at 14:55:16

I can understand the venting part of it, but it bothers me that gas would make its way out.  I don't want to have to repaint the tank because the gas eats it off.  

Don't want to have to buy another cap either, those suckers are $55.00!!!  Shocked

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #4 - 02/10/06 at 15:22:00

yea - like thumperclone notes, make sure you're only filling to the bottom of the filler tube, with the bike standing upright...shouldn't leak then...

What year is the bike?  Is there damage to the paint now that makes it look like it's been leaking before you got it?

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 02/10/06 at 16:04:26

It's an '02.  There is nothing there on the paint to indicate that this was a problem before, so it may just be me and not used to the way this bike needs to be filled with gas.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #6 - 02/10/06 at 17:01:11

so do these leaks only happen after a fill up ?- if so what i do after a fill up on the side stand is stand the bike up right before I put the cap on - maybe even rock it back and forth a few times - there is an air pocket that forms in the upper left top of the tank you need to equalize - or the '95 will leak quite a bit - the '02 doesn't but it's a newer gasket.

IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 02/10/06 at 17:02:22

It's the only time I've noticed it thus far.  Of course, I just picked the bike up yesterday so I'm still learning its little quirks. Cheesy

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #8 - 02/10/06 at 17:04:33

yeah, that's what it is, just takes some time figure her out Roll Eyes

IP Logged
necropsy
2005 No Login

Suzuki '05 S40

Barrie, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - 02/10/06 at 17:49:46

I bought a 05 s40 last fall...........
Gas cap leaked from day one, front brakes squeak like crazy, and the speedo housing rattles,
First rideable day, she's going in for some warranty work.

Music calms the SAVAGE beast
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 02/11/06 at 22:34:39

I've only had a leak on overfill (past than the bottom of the filler tube).

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
911radioman
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 02/16/06 at 16:45:01

I've noticed a rattle in my headlight housing, probably didn't get something quite placed right when I upgraded my stock headlight to the xenon bulb.

I've been trying to watch when I fuel up now so as to try and avoid the leaky fuel cap.  So far, so good on that one...

IP Logged
SirWilhelm
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 02/16/06 at 18:25:31

I just did the new shocks upgrade on my '05 S40 and went by to fill up. I did the "lean it on the kickstand to fill", and only filled to the bottom of filler tube. And put cap on rolled bike up straight and gas poured out from under the cap. AARRGGHH. I could see my self setting the whole station on fire as it ran down on the engine.
Luckily it just evaporated. Seems that with the new angle of the bike due to height rise with 11.5 shocks, the tank  has a lot of room you don't find when upright.
So I too will only fill up with the bike straight up in the future.
Did find a real hockey puck at sports store and will glue it to bottom of the kick stand this weekend to see if that will raise the bike more vertical. Hockey puck looks better than some of the bolts, and home made blocks I have seen. Need some liquid weld and it should do well. I got one from the Dallas Stars, but they had them from all over. The street hockey ones are just hollow rubber, so no use.
I don't like spilling gas, and especially when a lot runs onto the engine. Now I need to take the bike and spray wash it real good.
Oh well, time to clean it anyway, for the first 1000 mile cleaning.
Hey we don't get rain, so you don't wash your vehicle out here, as it just gets more dust on it! Smiley

Bill

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/17/24 at 02:34:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Fuel cap

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.