Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dead Battery? (Read 5 times)
RocksimusMaximus
2005 No Login

Dead Battery?
02/09/06 at 16:17:48

Ok... So a couple days ago I accidentally left my lights on and drained the battery. Had no luck with push starting it, so I had to jump it from a car (car engine off, of course). I rode it for a good solid 20 minutes and let it sit with the engine running for another 10. When I turned it off... the battery was still dead. Lights wouldn't come on or anything. Does this mean my battery is completely shot? If so... anyone know where I can find a good deal on a new one?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Re: Dead Battery?
Reply #1 - 02/09/06 at 16:24:54

before u go buy a new battery,take your seat off and check the rectifier (the thing under the back seat) make sure both plugs are plugged in,the black plug with yellow wires is what came loose on mine, just wrap it in electical tape and it'll never come unplugged.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 02/10/06 at 07:05:03

And you may as well take your battery up to Autozone or Sears and have 'em test it.  At least where I live, both of those places test batteries free.  If it only needs a charge, cool.  I'd recommend getting a battery tender anyway.  If you do need a new one, they are available in a number of places.  I am very happy with my Odyssey but there is a pretty recent thread on a Big Crank Battery that sounds like a good battery at a decent price.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #3 - 02/10/06 at 14:55:05

What modell of Odyssey battery did you have, that fit the Savage ???
I do have a Odyssey batt. for my LC1500 Intruder and I would love to have one for my Savage as well.
Odar in Sweden

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #4 - 02/11/06 at 22:31:42

In my signature... Odyssey PC545MJ.  It's not a direct swap though.  It's shorter and wider.  I made a small platform for it to sit on in the battery compartment and slid the tool pouch underneath it.  That allowed me to remove the tool pouch bracket (which is needed because the battery is wider) and just put the chrome cover back on.  If you want a direct swap, the big crank may be better.  I like mine though.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Odar

Odars ride

Stockholm Sweden
Reply #5 - 02/12/06 at 10:58:35

Thanks for the answer Rob, I think I will go for the Oddysey when its time for a swap, because I have it in my LC1500 and I am wery satisfaid with that one Grin.
To made it fit in the Intruder I had to use a bandsaw on the battery, but in the end it was perfect fit.
To the LC I used the 535 model.
Take care Odar

Odar
Stockholm Sweden
WWW   IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #6 - 12/21/06 at 19:35:56

RocksimusMaximus wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Ok... So a couple days ago I accidentally left my lights on and drained the battery. Had no luck with push starting it, so I had to jump it from a car (car engine off, of course). I rode it for a good solid 20 minutes and let it sit with the engine running for another 10. When I turned it off... the battery was still dead. Lights wouldn't come on or anything. Does this mean my battery is completely shot? If so... anyone know where I can find a good deal on a new one?

For the record, the bike will probably not do a good job of fully re-charging a dead battery.  I would charge the battery with a battery charger and then try it out before I would trash the old battery.

IHTH someone!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
SavageDude
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

OC_California
Reply #7 - 12/21/06 at 21:31:26

Once the battery is completely discharged, it will never be able to return to the optimum level when charge. Mine did the same last week, and I have the Big Crank on hand right now.  Haven't got time to put it on yet but it look and feel heavy-duty Shocked Will post the performance's result later.

2005 S40, debadged, Tkat FB, saddle bags, sissy bar, HD Sporter muff, Fly screen, white spacer mod, 150 main jet.....and sssslowly upgrading
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 16:29:30

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Dead Battery?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.