Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: white spacer help please
Reply #15 - 02/07/06 at 16:31:59

Take um to dinner!

Just takes solid pressure with a new phillips bit - when your at the ace look at the phillips bits - there are some with groves that hold pretty well - on the '02 I used the cordless dewalt

IP Logged
diesel
2004 No Login

Watsontown, PA
Reply #16 - 02/07/06 at 21:34:08

for those extra tight phillips screws, try dipping screw driver tip in just a little valve grinding compound, really helps screw driver tip bite those screw heads.(find that tip in the manual)

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #17 - 02/08/06 at 08:04:46

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Thanks- ace is the place , will stop by manana.  Say, the screws didn't budge on first try- are they installed by Sumo wrestlers?  I blasted them with liquid wrench, tomorrow morning will see if they are any more compliant.  Reminds me of some first dates when I was a pup. Cheesy

I did the old trick of putting the phillips screwdriver into the screw firmly and giving it a tap with a hammer.  It seems to unfreeze bound threads sometimes.  If I'd had the carb off the bike, I would have used the impact driver.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #18 - 02/08/06 at 15:42:59

I just went in there with a screwdriver and stripped a couple heads, why do it the easy way when you can get all frustrated and throw tools all over the garage Grin.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #19 - 02/08/06 at 16:30:12

well- so far it has been special, the wall mounted tv I installed actually stayed in place, my attempted switch from dial up to cable - nope, 2 tries at the screws, nope, the three window replacement i bought, too short and non refundable.. another day another flying tool. Like you, Ed_L, I do tend to project my frustration thru flying tools. Smiley  May have to hang a dart board in the garage if this continues..tomorrow is another day. Have a great one everyone.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #20 - 02/15/06 at 19:26:16

vise grips to the rescue..carb is apart.  In replacing the white spacer, does it have to be a plastic spacer?  For those of us (like me) who are toolistically challanged, how did you hold the spacer to grind it down?? Hopefully I'll have it all back together before i hit the big 60 later this month.
Thanks again to all who have helped.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #21 - 02/15/06 at 19:33:43

I pressed mine onto a piece of sandpaper with my fingertip & just scrubbed it around & measured it a few times. I liked it better than using the #4 washers, which tended to drag the sides some, though some don't have that problem.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #22 - 02/15/06 at 20:08:35

put the sand paper - about a 120 or so - on a board so you end up with flat white spacer and work it around with your finger tip - mic it as it starts to shrink - or if you use the washers, get a long machine screw/bolt and nut that the washers will fit on - washers on the bolt nut on next to hold them tight - bolt in the drill and turn them babies down against the concret floor or a brick or what ever till they fit and slide smooth in the carb.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #23 - 02/15/06 at 20:11:07

babbalou wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
I pressed mine onto a piece of sandpaper with my fingertip & just scrubbed it around & measured it a few times. I liked it better than using the #4 washers, which tended to drag the sides some, though some don't have that problem.

I did exactly the same. Fine sandpaper and I measured a few times with a cheap micrometer. I prefer the original white spacer to metal washers too.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #24 - 02/16/06 at 16:30:03

well, the spacer has lost @half its weight/bulk.  Brought it to the hospital I work at, and was talking with the folks there,  They suggested drilling a hole in block of hard wood, the depth I wanted to keep- then filing off the unwanted portion.  I said, I don't have a drill press, they said-"we do..wait ten minutes.." The  carb is now reassembled (Hopefully correctly- will test tomorrow.)
ThANKS FOR YOUR TIPS-as I had looked at using the grinding wheel but couldn't figure out how to get a flat surface or 2)how to hold so small an object.  The idea of drilling a hole the depth I wanted of the same diameter- wouldn't have crossed my mind for heaven knows how long.  Will keep it in my ever growing tips for mechanic's file Grin

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #25 - 02/21/06 at 16:28:58

hit 28 degrees far this weekend.  Bike started with a little trouble, ran strong through half throtle, then no noticable change last half throttle to wide open..I suspect I din't reassemble the card correctly.  Shocked
Can't wait for some warmer weather to get this sorted out. Have a great week folks.

IP Logged
dichotomous
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 03/20/06 at 14:55:42

how shall I get those two white spacer screws out now that they are very much stripped?  they are really deep in there, should I drill them out from the bottom?  and what size are those so I can get some allen head replacements?

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 03/20/06 at 16:02:36

If you can't get them from the top, you must drill them out from the bottom. Be carefull with the needle jet, it really gets in the way while you are drilling. My drill chuck deformed my needle jet. I had to get a new one.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 05:19:51

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › white spacer help please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.