white spacer help please (Read 6 times)
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
white spacer help please
02/05/06 at 14:28:55

hi- thought i'd try the white spacer mod- so, removed tak after removing seat.  Drilled out the mixture plug alright, for future work. NOW, do I have to take the carb out/off or can I work in situ.. remove the the top of the carb while still on bike.  Almost 60 and still dumb..but having fun Cheesy. thanks for replies..and i did a search but didn't see anything about the simple step 1.  Super bowll is almost here..but my patriots aren't.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: white spacer help please
Reply #1 - 02/05/06 at 14:57:55

I did both the '95 and '02 with the carb on the bikes - you can loose up the hose clamps a little and twist the carb a bit if you need to.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #2 - 02/05/06 at 15:04:16

I was able to do everything on it with it in place... just with the seat and tank removed.  Replacing the phillips screws with stainless allen screws will make that access easier later.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #3 - 02/05/06 at 17:23:03

Question - how do you know which stainless allen screws to buy?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #4 - 02/05/06 at 19:34:48

m5x10mm for the cap and m5x15mm for the bowl - stainless allen head work real fine

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #5 - 02/05/06 at 20:13:24

I had the carb off because I needed to clean it and still stripped 3 of the four screws on top of the carb. I had to use needle-nose vice-grips to get them out. Those screws are very soft. So have replacements ready.

I think it would be easier for you to get to the screws if you remove it.  After the tank is off, you just need to disconnect the throttle cable and the air boot.  It's not really  abig deal, IMHO.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
threezukes
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 02/05/06 at 21:33:24

Taking it off is the easy part.  For me it is always a real PITA to get that air boot back on.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #7 - 02/06/06 at 08:02:44

Take off the seat, the gas tank,  the decompressor controller /the black box just above the carb/, the left side cover, the chrome tool cover, and the battery box top cover. Disconnect the trottle cable. Loosen the 2 clamps that hold the carburetor tight. First thing unscrew the 4 top screws that hold the carb. top cover /use a really good philips screwdriver/. Do the  spacer  mod. Before You put the cover back , twist the carb about 45-60 degrees and do the rejetting. Finish with the bottom, twist the carb. back to normal, install the carb slider with the diaphragm, the spring and the top cover back.Tighten the 2 clamps, hook-up the trottle cable and from here on is just to install the body pieces. You are done !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #8 - 02/06/06 at 08:20:38

mmosel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:02:
Question - how do you know which stainless allen screws to buy?

Take one of each type of screw you want to replace to the hardware store, and tell the friendly helper that you want 4 of each size...but in allen head stainless steel.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 02/06/06 at 11:57:43

If you strip out the allen heads on the screws and need to get on them with a pair of pliers take a small file and flatten the sides of the screw heads. That way you can get a better grip on the little s*ckers with the pliers. I rejetted and did the white spacer mod with the carb in place, just loosen it and rotate it, why take it apart any more than needed.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 02/06/06 at 12:13:19

That's one thing I always liked about allen heads, if they strip, you can usually get it out pretty easily with an EZ-Out without the need to drill.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 02/06/06 at 19:13:49

Thanks all for your suggestions-slavy, I honestly don't think it would have crossed my mind to tilt the carb  in place to work on it- gracias.  Did stop in the local hardware  glancing at the bolts/screws- the m5x15's didn't seem in stock, and actually they didn't call them allen heads either- a little more research with one of each of the screws in hand is called for.  AH, so much to learn- fortunately in New England, Winters can be long Tongue

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #12 - 02/06/06 at 21:36:13

Hey Trippah,

Ace hardware around here have a set of small drawers with special hardware. That's where you need to look.

What is being suggested is that you replace the standard screws with allen cap head bolts. These usually have a round slightly knurled top with a hexagonal "socket" for an allen wrench. Pick an allen wrench to fit the bolt while you're there.

The bolts are 5 mm in diameter. I think they have a 0.8 mm thread pitch, which is standard for this size bolt.  I used 12 mm long bolts for the top and 17mm long bolts for the bottom.  Since the bolt threads through the flange, a little extra length is no problem.  Just ask the guy for four M5x10mm or M5x12mm and four  M5x15mm or M5x17mm allen cap head bolts.  That should get you the right stuff.

Edited to correct bolt pitch, 0.8 mm is standard.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #13 - 02/07/06 at 06:01:23

Ditto.  Ace Hardware.

Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #14 - 02/07/06 at 16:17:22

Thanks- ace is the place , will stop by manana.  Say, the screws didn't budge on first try- are they installed by Sumo wrestlers?  I blasted them with liquid wrench, tomorrow morning will see if they are any more compliant.  Reminds me of some first dates when I was a pup. Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/10/24 at 03:19:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › white spacer help please

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.