Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Oil Leak (Read 3 times)
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Oil Leak
02/05/06 at 05:40:31

Hay Yall,

I found an oil leak. :'(  It looks like it’s not too bad in fact I’ve had the bike for 6 months now and just noticed it about 3 weeks ago (I kept the bike pretty clean when it was warmer and now that the temps have dropped it’s too cold to wash it).  The oil is spewing on the throttle shaft, spring, and choke knob.  I pulled the 2 top covers and it looks like it’s coming from inside the spark plug well.  Is it most likely the head plug mentioned in the "Savage "Plug/Cap" Leak" post? Roll Eyes  It’s small enough that I haven’t noticed a significant drop in oil level since the last oil change 800 miles ago.  If I ignore it will it get worse? ???  My thoughts are if it’s that small and doesn’t get worst its more trouble to fix it than to clean up after it. Tongue  Wa da ya think?

SOMD

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Oil Leak
Reply #1 - 02/05/06 at 06:00:03

That's not the typical place for the plug to leak it normally drips into the air passage on the rightside and blows oil back on everything from there to the battery box, but since it drips into the air flow it could endup just about anywhere. I would think the process of replaceing it and sealing the head cover would fix this as well - might be a real good idea to replace the bolt gaskets while your at it - will it get worse with time -you bet - another one that made a big mess was the speedometer gasket - when you took off the cable was it full of oil?

Doubt that it would hurt anything to just wait until you can't stand it any longer

IP Logged
SouthernMD
Ex Member

Re: Oil Leak
Reply #2 - 02/05/06 at 11:27:42

Hay Reelthing thanks for the input.  You’re probably right about it getting worse over time, I haven’t seen an oil leak yet that didn’t get worse with time. Wink  The speedo cable wasn’t full of oil but I did notice their was some oil spoog around it and the oil fill cap so I added an O ring to the speedo cable and replaced the O ring on the oil fill cap.  I’ll keep an eye on it for now and like you say when I can’t stand it any longer I’ll tare into it further.  Keep it Reel. 8)

SOMD

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 03:42:53

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Oil Leak

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.