Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
How much longer can you ride w/ Progressive shocks (Read 220 times)
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
How much longer can you ride w/ Progressive shocks
01/30/06 at 19:40:27

I got my new Big Crank Battery, looking to do the carb mods K&N air & oil filters are on the way.

Wondering how worth it the shocks are.  What difference do you notice in the ride?  Smoother, easier on the butt?  I'm also thinking about getting a propad insert in my gel seat.  Would appreciate your words of wisdon.  

Thank you in advance.  This is an awesome awesome site!!!!

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
http://bikepics.com/pictures/598442
bikingb   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: How much longer can you ride w/ Progressive sh
Reply #1 - 01/31/06 at 05:14:44

It may depend on the roads you ride and how many trips around the sun you have made. I used the softer than stock initial spring rate so you actually get some give when you sit on the bike but very rare if ever bottom them out on the 2nd click and never bottom on the 3rd. On these rougher secondary roads my lower back feels much better it's not taking the beating the stock shocks pass through on the '02 where the shocks are not wornout or the really bad pogo stick action of the worn shocks that were on the '95 bike. Because of the fuel tank size I stop at around 100 miles and fill up without having numb arse with a stock seat like I did. How much was helped by the shocks or just riding all the time I don't know.      

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/31/06 at 07:41:25

I want to raise my bike a little, it rides fine with the stock shocks. I have decided to get the 11.5", but I have concerns about the kickstand being too short.
Do any of you have comments about the kickstand?

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 01/31/06 at 07:50:12

Kickstand...not a problem.

When I first put on a set of Progressives the diference was amazing.  Even without making changes to the seat the difference in the ride quality was so good that I was able to ride all day with very little discomfort.  Before that, after one hour I needed to get off and rest/stretch/recover.

If you have the $$ to the change to Progressives....DO IT!!!

If you are over 200 lbs and you ride hard then you might consider the heavy duty version, otherwise  the regular version set will do just fine for street riding.

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/31/06 at 07:55:35

5'11", 183lbs. Which shocks in 11.5" would be best?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 01/31/06 at 11:12:39

Here's the deal- standard and heavy duty really do not apply to the savage it applys to the intruder 800 - a bike that weights close to 100lbs more at 443lbs vs 352lbs - all the progressives are going to give some lift
I like the softer ride of the 4232's. how much lift are you looking for?

Soft Ride 11"         412-4232C   90/130lb
Standard 11"        412-4233C 115/155lb
Standard 11.5"     412-4201C 115/155lb
Heavy Duty 11.5"  412-4236C 125/170lb

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #6 - 01/31/06 at 13:04:47

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Kickstand...not a problem.

When I first put on a set of Progressives the diference was amazing.  Even without making changes to the seat the difference in the ride quality was so good that I was able to ride all day with very little discomfort.  Before that, after one hour I needed to get off and rest/stretch/recover.

If you have the $$ to the change to Progressives....DO IT!!!

If you are over 200 lbs and you ride hard then you might consider the heavy duty version, otherwise  the regular version set will do just fine for street riding.  

Did you use the 11.5 " shocks?  I'm only 5'7" and weigh 135 so the heavy duty is not an issue.  I want to be able to ride all day.

Let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of that which you really love..... Rumi
bikingb   IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #7 - 01/31/06 at 13:27:24

Never mind.  I didn't read the last post.  I think I need to get the 412-4232C   Where did you get yours?  When I called Progressive to verify that they were the right size they didn't couldn't verify what the right size was as Savage was not on their list.  Hmmmm.

bikingb   IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 01/31/06 at 13:43:22

bikingb, you asked a good question: what's the softest ride?  And, at least for me, Reel Thing -- you answered it. Had not thought about the weight difference between Intruder and Savage.  Thanks for clarifying my decision.

Also bikingb, there's an entire post about where the best prices can be found for progressive shocks. Four posts down.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #9 - 01/31/06 at 13:45:20

I got mine here - had them in less then 2 weeks - it's a pretty good price, most likely not the best  
 www.phatperformanceparts.com - $198.95 w/shipping

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #10 - 01/31/06 at 13:51:39

Thanks Cigaro and Reelthing.  I found them listed at mawonline for $ 182.95.  Now wondering how hard a job it is.  I bet my husband will help me.

bikingb   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #11 - 01/31/06 at 14:01:06

Real easy to install - use the thin wall bushings they come with and your old washers - you'll like them.

IP Logged
bikingb
2005 No Login

Love to Ride!

Appleton, WI
Reply #12 - 02/01/06 at 06:44:33

It's on order!!!! I can hardly wait.  Thanks so much for all of your help.

Grin

bikingb   IP Logged
650-rider

Reply #13 - 02/01/06 at 14:14:06

Everyone – I need advice about Progressive shocks please.  I have looked all through the postings under anything to do with Progressive, shocks, 412, etc. so I know some of the information already.  

I want to get either 412-4232C (softer) or 412-4233C (standard), but I don’t understand the criteria for deciding.

If you get heavier duty shocks, the bumps feel harder, but the shocks won’t bottom out – is that right?  So the best shock to get would be one that has plenty of travel (because that determines the softness of the ride, right?) but not so much that they bottom out – right?  

I just don’t want to pay that much for the wrong shocks.

I am 200 lb and only ride solo, and want a comfortable ride – what do you all recommend?

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #14 - 02/01/06 at 15:48:08

Ok let's draw a line in the sand - if your 180lbs or less and do not dual ride the bike very often nor make a pack mule out of it - then the 412-4232c is just fine for you - I weight in 180 (except around thanksgiving!) and sometimes add about 20 lbs or so of stuff - the highest setting I have used is number 3 so there's still two more - and the bike rides great.

If your more than that 180 or two up often or like to ride it like you stole it while hauling a couple cases of beer - then the 412-4233c's are right for you.

If your a really - what was the term "grown" man or  haul a bunch of stuff around pack mule savage - the 412-4236c is right for you.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
03/28/24 at 03:41:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › How much longer can you ride w/ Progressive shocks

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.