Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Savage Saddlebag Questions (Read 3 times)
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Savage Saddlebag Questions
01/29/06 at 06:27:59

I have the Slanted bags that Suzuki made in 2002 on my bike, and while they can be used as toss overs, I put them on under the pillion seat. Originally, they were good, with time, that center piece stretched a bitm making them hang too low.

That center connecting piece came with 4 holes in it. So, 2 years ago I put a heavy shoelace thru them and used it to 'shorten' up that center piece so they don't hang so low. Yesterday, I removed pillion seat and bags, and those little holes have now torn a bit.

Anyway, wondering what original purpose of those little holes is. There's nothing under the pillion seat that would match up with them.

How else do folks install these bags on their bike? Over or under pillion seat? If over, I'm guessing it is so you can take on/off easily, so how do you secure them to the bike when 'tossed over' the pillion seat.

Today I'm doing saddlebag repair to the buckle straps. Going to sew some nylon web strap inside the straps to reinforce, then punch matching holes so it buckles, flame the nylon briefly to seal up frayed edges. I did one side 2 years ago, still an excellent job. Now doing the other side because the straps are tearing, but bags still pretty good.

I may also sew some nylon webbing (using 2 pieces) under that center piece to reinforce, and possibly shorten it up somewhat as well, more permanently than the shoelace, don't know about that yet.

Thanks for any info.

Gerry

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Re: Savage Saddlebag Questions
Reply #1 - 01/30/06 at 01:22:32

I think those little holes are for exactly what you're using them for - raising or lowering the bags. I have those bags and they are under the pillion seat.

http://members.cox.net/marioquake/P1010003.jpg

IP Logged
Chench53
2004 No Login

"Special
Ed" rocks!

Suffolk VA, formerly NYC NY
Reply #2 - 01/30/06 at 03:20:12

Dynobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I think those little holes are for exactly what you're using them for - raising or lowering the bags. I have those bags and they are under the pillion seat.

http://members.cox.net/marioquake/P1010003.jpg

Hey, that's MY bike! Cheesy Cheesy Really, same thing. Smiley Your wheels sure are shiny. I have't had mine that clean in a while. Embarrassed That will be another job once spring comes. What do you use to clean & polish? Anything special? Besides elbow grease, I mean... The wheels are always the hardest to do, but when you do it sure pays off. Your bike is a beauty! 8) 8)

Thanks for the thoughts on the little holes. Smiley Yes, seems logical that's what they're for.

Gerry

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #3 - 01/30/06 at 08:38:53

Wow, that is a very CLEAN bike.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #4 - 01/30/06 at 17:01:59

Chench53 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Hey, that's MY bike! Cheesy Cheesy Really, same thing. Smiley Your wheels sure are shiny. I have't had mine that clean in a while. Embarrassed That will be another job once spring comes. What do you use to clean & polish? Anything special? Besides elbow grease, I mean... The wheels are always the hardest to do, but when you do it sure pays off. Your bike is a beauty! 8) 8)

Thanks for the thoughts on the little holes. Smiley Yes, seems logical that's what they're for.

No Gerry, that's MY bike !  Wink

I must confess the bike was pretty new when that picture was taken. I think it had been waxed before the pic too Grin

I love Meguiars Car Cleaner Wax in the red bottle. If you have any rust on the wheels or spokes, lightly hit it with some 0000 steel wool. A small amount of Simichrome will shine everything up, but you must use it sparingly. It is quite abrasive and it will polish through chrome over time (I did this to some car wheels years ago). A nice coat of Meguiars will put a serious shine on the chrome (as well as the paint).

For spokes that are prone to rusting, I like to hit them with  0000 steel wool and put a thin coat of grease on them. Wax just won't keep ahead of the rust and is a PIA to apply to spokes.

Thanks for the compliments. I've since added a Suzuki tank bib and a Supertrapp exhaust. It's still pretty clean.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #5 - 01/30/06 at 18:11:48

Bob,

If you like to wax, you should try S100 carnuba.  Not a cleaner, but it makes the metal flake sparkle.

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #6 - 01/30/06 at 20:03:04

That IS a clean bike, and I am glad to see someone named DYNOBob opted for it. I am hoping some one w/ access to a dyno will offer a jet setup for the Trapp.  

Dinobob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Thanks for the compliments. I've since added a Suzuki tank bib and a Supertrapp exhaust. It's still pretty clean.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 07:54:21

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Savage Saddlebag Questions

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.