Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Side Stand or Kick Stand (Read 8 times)
cards385
Ex Member

Side Stand or Kick Stand
01/28/06 at 15:47:39

Has anyone ever changed one or modified the stock stand. Since I put on my new progressive shocks it appears that my bike leans more now than before. I use a block of wood under the stand when its out in the garage but when I am running errands around town its a pain to keep getting out the block but without it I worried the bike is going to fall over. It seems that it should be about 1 - 1.5 inches longer. I do not think they are adjustable. Has anyone any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else after the shock upgrade?

IP Logged
Paladin.
Serious Thumper

Hamster

Sunny Southern California
Re: Side Stand or Kick Stand
Reply #1 - 01/28/06 at 16:40:05

Fascinating.....

I figure you have three choices:  (1) Replace,  (2) add a footpad, or (3) stretch the stock stand.

Replacing would mean taking the Savage sidestand down to a motorcycle shop and matching it against what is on the floor until you find one that is similar except for being longer.  Then getting one from the parts people and seeing if it looks like it would work.  Then trying it.

Simply drill a couple of holes in the footpad of the kick stand and add an aluminum block of the desired size.

3. Remove kick stand, saw in half, weld a piece of steel into the middle. refinish (optional) and replace.

WWW   IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #2 - 01/28/06 at 17:43:11

I noticed the same thing. I put 12.5" Progressive shocks on last year, big improvement but it did lean a lot on the stand. I got a big aluminum bolt, about 1" thick at either Home Depot or Lowe's, can't remember. I filled it with JB Weld glue & put it under the sidestand pad overnight to dry. I expected it to fall off by now but it's still there. Been on for several months. An improvement but 1 1/2 " would be ideal. Eventually I may drill a hole through the pad & bolt on a thick block of aluminum.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #3 - 01/28/06 at 18:07:29

cards385 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Has this happened to anyone else after the shock upgrade?

just curious what shock length did you use?

IP Logged
cards385
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 01/28/06 at 18:13:56

I put on the 11.5 inch progressive shocks. Love them, made the ride much softer and gave me a little more seat height.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #5 - 01/28/06 at 18:18:50

I'm suprised the 11.5" causes that much concern with the sidestand - with the 11"s it wasn't very noticeable  

IP Logged
cards385
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/28/06 at 18:25:19

While my bike is in the garage I use a 2" x 4" little block of wood and that is exactly where I think it should be. So thats really about a 1.5" increase. I think I'll try the bolt idea with some 2 part apoxy.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #7 - 01/28/06 at 21:23:24

would you mind doing a measurement - from the center of the rear axle to the top of the helment lock - like this -

http://suzukisavage.com/cgi-bin/YaBB.pl?board=RubberSideDown;action=display;n...

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #8 - 01/29/06 at 01:16:21

When I put the 17" wheels on KLX I got the opposite problem, a bit more preload cured it and helped the handling.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/01/24 at 20:13:03

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Side Stand or Kick Stand

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.