Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Got Them Done
01/27/06 at 16:45:39

Here are the final shots of the forward controls on my '02. They moved the feet 4 inches forward. Instead of buying a longer shifter rod I lengthened the stock rod. This was done by drilling out the ends of a 1/4 inch piece of steel rod and brazing the tips of the stock rod into the holes, simple and strong.
 The first picture is of the back side of the right plate with the brake bracket and pedal mounted before final grinding and paint.
 http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/510047/
 the next two are the finished forward controls mounted and ready to ride Grin
 http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/510054/
 http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/510055/
I've already put a couple hundred miles on the bike with the new controls and love it so far. Time to stop working on the bike and get some riding in. I ended up finishing the aluminium with 600 grit wet/dry paper and buffing with 000 steel wool. A couple coats of rattle-can clear was blown on and they were ready to go.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Re: Got Them Done
Reply #1 - 01/27/06 at 17:09:40

Wow !!!  really nice job !!!  Grin

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 01/27/06 at 17:57:06

Very clean.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/27/06 at 18:05:51

Very nice.  Good job.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #4 - 01/27/06 at 19:06:36

Simply excellent.

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #5 - 01/27/06 at 19:33:36

Outstanding work! And they look awesome, like factory. Hey maybe you could make some more of those brackets and sell 'em to the members on here who would like to do the same on theirs.
Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/27/06 at 23:11:16

yeah I agree, they looks great!  I need to put some miles on mine too.  I wish I has a trailor so I could tow both to the mountains and go campin, fishin, and ridin in the spring.

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #7 - 01/28/06 at 03:41:18

Another very nice job done!!

BTW: Did you delete the sidestand switch?

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Tony
2004 No Login

Saugerties, NY
Reply #8 - 01/28/06 at 05:37:11

I love them!

I agree. If you have the ability to knock off a couple more of them I for one would love to get a set. And I am sure other members would love to add them to  their rides as well.

-Tony

......Remember;
Where ever you go,
there you are.
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 01/28/06 at 06:12:03

I did bypass the sidestand switch, the wires are not long enough to reach the new sidestand location. The 1/2 in aluminium presented a few problems with the extra thickness. I used the orignial long bolts to mount the plates and had to grind 1/2 an inch off the mounting tubes that are welded on the frame. I'm not sure that I could make a ready to go bolt on kit, there is a lot of fine tuning needed. Maybe providing the drilled plates, bracket, rod and instructions would be possible.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/28/06 at 08:18:08

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I did bypass the sidestand switch, the wires are not long enough to reach the new sidestand location. The 1/2 in aluminium presented a few problems with the extra thickness. I used the orignial long bolts to mount the plates and had to grind 1/2 an inch off the mounting tubes that are welded on the frame. I'm not sure that I could make a ready to go bolt on kit, there is a lot of fine tuning needed. Maybe providing the drilled plates, bracket, rod and instructions would be possible.  

Well, noodle that a bit and see whatcha think is a fair price for the parts and your elbow grease.  I'm interested too.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #11 - 01/28/06 at 09:39:25

Yup - those are definitely fair game for the after-market market - Awesome work!

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 01/28/06 at 12:37:52

I'll work on it for next week, a lot of the elbow grease is spent polishing. I could cut and drill them, clean up the edges and leave the final polish work to everybody else. Need to price material next. What the he11, I can even put the pictures on a CD and get real high tech. Maybe three or four sets to get started, depends on how many are interested.

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #13 - 01/28/06 at 15:36:03

Now see what you got your self into - you just thought you was going to piddle around the garage  Smiley

IP Logged
Zniper175
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/28/06 at 20:11:05

Very nice, now team up with somebody, make some designs, and sell me one.

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 08:48:27

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Got Them Done

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.