Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Performance Tinkering and enhancements (Read 9 times)
USCG Cremeans
Ex Member

Re: Performance Tinkering and enhancements
Reply #15 - 03/16/06 at 07:19:38

anyone in the northeast have a synthetic they use for our climate area? im thinking either 10w40 or 15w40.. any input?

thanks

IP Logged
Mr 650
Serious Thumper

The LS650- Classic
style & 4-valve
engine

Mempho
Reply #16 - 03/16/06 at 07:25:11

Yeah, There are many good things said about using a diesel oil like synth Rotella 15/40. Some are using Synth/dino blends.

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
While I haven't gotten into the molecular construction of engine lubricants, my general understanding is that synthetics can go roughly twice as long as dino juice between changes due to reduced viscosity breakdown.  Running an air-cooled engine in TX, it seemed like a good idea to use synthetic but still change it every 3K miles.  That said, I chose a motorcycle-specific synthetic to avoid any potential clutch slippage issues.  So far, it seems to be working well.  I am considering trying a blend when I run out of my current stock.  Oh, and I decided on 15W50 based solely on the climate/temperature ranges for my area.

SilverBlue '01,K&N,Snorklectomy,125mm NOS carb, 1/2 spacer & 155, 'Trapp, NC flyscreen, Suzy GelSeat, Osram H4
later..putt. Putt, PUtt, PUTT! 8)
HelmetLawsSuck
  IP Logged
gubbs
YaBB Newbies

"Happiness is
not a
destination."

UK
Reply #17 - 04/30/06 at 22:26:18

I have and will always use Shell Advance Ultra 4.

Its what Ducati stipulate *must* be used in all their engines.

These are high revving, desmodronic big twins. The ones I flog .. hard .. are air cooled wet multi plate clutch systems.

I have seen a 50k engine stripped and the insides were spotless with very little precipitable wear on key bearings and components.

The oil cools so efficiently compared to multi that I have never, even under 100mph solid for an hour (motorway) never got the oil temp above 50% of its range.

Modern synthetic oils are outstanding.

They are also, if you want the proper stuff, expensive.

This expense is entirely justified if you want a bike that runs longer, further, cooler and requires less attention.

I will be using it in my Savage when it arrives. Smiley

Altho I am not sure if its suitable for this kind of engine tbh. They are not exactly 'high peformance' bikes.

I will flog the tits off the Savage tho. So maybe, will have a chat with a few wrenches and see what the verdict is.

Also got to remember this bike is a 20 year old design. Might not like modern fully synth oils as much?

Here's a little of their blubage:

Shell Advance Ultra 4
SAE 10W-40
Ultimate performance fully synthetic motorcycle oil for all high demanding 4-stroke engines including racing engines. Offers ultimate lubrication at peak performance levels. Outstanding shear stability and ageing resistance, low evaporation tendency. Top quality synthetic base oils in conjunction with highly effective additives provide superior engine cleanliness and protection against wear and the deposition of carbon on hot engine parts. Excellent lubrication in gearboxes which run in motor oil. Optimum performance in wet clutches: prevents clutch slipping, minimises clutch sticking (after cold start), guarantees optimum soft changes.

Shell Advance Ultra 4 is used and recommended worldwide by Ducati and KTM.

Advance Ultra 4
Part Code: SHADUL41040

Shell Advance Ultra 4 is a unique fully synthetic lubricant exclusively designed to provide the ultimate in engine protection, cleanliness and superior clutch and gearbox operation for high-powered performance motorbikes
It is the best Shell 4-stroke motorcycle oil available
The balanced friction technology used provides quick engine response without clutch slippage for smooth gear shifts and easy starting
The best engine oil for modern, high performance bikes used in racing or high speed, long distance riding
The technology has been proven in race and endorsed by leading motorcycle manufacturers, and has successfully been used in motor sport (WSBK, World Super Sport Championship, World 4T Enduro and Moto Cross Championship)
It exceeds the requirements of international specification (API - SL and JASO MA) and all Japanese and European motorcycle manufacturers.
Avaliable in 1 litre and 4 litre packs.
RRP 4 litres:-
Price: £34.75

WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/21/24 at 07:42:38

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Performance Tinkering and enhancements

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!