Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
starter teeth broken (Read 93 times)
Dogpoo
Ex Member

starter teeth broken
01/21/06 at 11:03:12

I just found out that a few starter teeth are broken. Should I take apart the LH cover to remove the broken teeth? Also, when taking apart starter, a screw got sucked into the black hole. HOw do I recover that screw? I got a quote for a new starter. Something like 400 canadian. Anyone have one for cheaper. It's an 86 savage. Cheers Grin

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Re: starter teeth broken
Reply #1 - 01/21/06 at 11:15:19

Better take the cover off !! They have a problen with breaking the case where the starter gear idler gear mounts inside the case !!!  Once the cover is off, slide the 2 gears off and inspect the case..  Mine has been welded up and seems to work fine...

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #2 - 01/21/06 at 12:06:45

Junk yard or ebay for that starter motor...  yeah, gotta get those teeth outa there!

Black hole: try a magnet on a stick.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/86-SUZUKI-SAVAGE-LS650-LS-650-CHROME-STARTER_W...

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #3 - 01/22/06 at 08:57:54

Black hole tip:

On my bike (see signature) the starter is very easy to get off.  I pulled it off and cleared several things out of the well, including an unidentified item.  I hate when that happens!  

Now, whenever I'm doing any work in that area of the bike, I cover the starter motor area w/ a rag.

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #4 - 01/26/06 at 10:48:37

Dog ??    Tell us what you found was the prob with your bike??  Was it starter only or other things also ??

IP Logged
Dogpoo
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/26/06 at 13:43:27

We'll this is what I have found. The gears that turn the flywheel, from the starter to the flywheel, those mounts are broken. There is a couple of teeth missing from the flywheel, a missing tooth from a gear that turns the flywheel, and broken starter gears inside of the cover. Looks like I will have to get a new flywheel, weld the gear mounts, and new gears, plus an armiture for the starter. I'll let you know how it goes.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #6 - 01/26/06 at 13:46:49

Just out of curiosity, what year is the bike?  I was wondering if this might be a result of the reported backlash issue.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #7 - 01/26/06 at 15:53:18

Mine has been welded up also !!   Its an 87   Now Dog,  bet your glad you pulled the side cover instead of just putting in a new starter !!  2 damaged starters Now that would hurt even worse !!

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #8 - 01/26/06 at 22:46:06

I used this in another post to show timing marks, but what parts?  You have teeth off the rotor too?

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #9 - 01/27/06 at 01:25:05

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Just out of curiosity, what year is the bike?  I was wondering if this might be a result of the reported backlash issue.

The backlash issue, that's right!

The starter gears and their bearing supports are weak designed. Have been beefed up in 1991. Furthermore the design was revised again in 1996 with the incorporation of a limiter in the second gear.

To avoid future damage on pre-1991 Savages you can install an electronic devise that opens the exhaust valve when the engine is switched off.

Will post the scematic later to-day.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #10 - 01/27/06 at 05:51:07

Stop The Backlash Thread

Antiklack Plans
If you run the URL from the above link through Altavista's Babelfish translator, you can read it pretty well.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #11 - 01/27/06 at 07:02:40

Savage_Rob wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Stop The Backlash Thread

Antiklack Plans
If you run the URL from the above link through Altavista's Babelfish translator, you can read it pretty well.

This design works without relais. And with the kind permission of Gerd Honnacker of the German LS650 forum I post it here.

Gerd made one for me, I did the installation and it works fine. No more "fart"when switching of the engine. The device is hardwired and put into a "plastic"tube of about 1/2 by 1" which can be placed anywhere you like.

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #12 - 01/27/06 at 08:38:42

Greg... On your pic.. Remove the two smaller gears. Where they ride in the case, It breaks the case out and has to be welded and redrilled to accept the shaft the gear rides on...   Mine looks like crap  from the previous owner but seems to be holding up.....

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #13 - 01/28/06 at 18:06:24

Dogpoo ... any way for you to take a pic of your case with the 2 small gears removed for show and tell ??

IP Logged
Dogpoo
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 01/28/06 at 18:06:54

Pretty much, teeth of every gear from the starter to the Flywheel are missing teeth. Does anyone know how to get the flywheel off. Do I jut unscrew the bolt inside of the LH cover, that is attached to the Flywheel and magnetic part? I am scared of unscrewing it, don't know what will happen?

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 20:33:34

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › starter teeth broken

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.