Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Just a little black smoke? (Read 17 times)
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Re: Just a little black smoke?
Reply #15 - 01/17/06 at 18:53:05

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
After looking at the diagram again, I do not remember seeing the needle jet. Is it possible for the motorcycle to run without the needle jet?

Steve

Do not see how - the needle jet is a tube the main jet w/brass washer screws into the bottom of it holding it in place , the jet needle comes out of the bottom of the piston valve (diaphram/slide) and goes into the top of this tube - the hole in the top of the tube is the "jet"

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #16 - 01/17/06 at 18:57:46

I don't remember pulling it out and I sure doen't remember putting it back in.  

I DO remember looking through the bore of the carb and seeing a small diameter tube that was very firmly attached.  I don't think that is the neede jet.

Guess I'd better go out to the garage and see if I can get access to the carb and check it.

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #17 - 01/17/06 at 19:03:46

If you were looking down the bore where the round slide/piston valve goes that is the needle jet

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #18 - 01/17/06 at 19:13:45

So is the needle jet flush with the bore?  

I just removed the intake boot and looked into the bore from the back of the carb.  I saw the vacuum diaphram, lifted that up, saw the jet needle slinding into a hole in the bottom of the bore.  The hole it slides into is the diameter of the needle and is in the center of a darker piece of metal that is flush with the bore of the carb.

Does that sound right?  

Steve

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #19 - 01/17/06 at 19:18:19

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
So is the needle jet flush with the bore?  

I just removed the intake boot and looked into the bore from the back of the carb.  I saw the vacuum diaphram, lifted that up, saw the jet needle slinding into a hole in the bottom of the bore.  The hole it slides into is the diameter of the needle and is in the center of a darker piece of metal that is flush with the bore of the carb.

Does that sound right?  

Steve

yes sir - that's the needle jet

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #20 - 01/17/06 at 19:22:00

and what's interesting is if you put the main jet in (at least the small round) with out the washer that tube will pop up and sort of stick to the jet needle when it goes up - you talk about running rich - D' ammmm

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #21 - 01/17/06 at 19:23:21

Thanks, that's a relief.  

From the pics in the Clymer manual, I thought the needle jet protruded into the bore.    

So I guess I didn't remove that, but since I dipped it, I assume the solvent remove the shellac.

The engine seems to run prety well, but I'm thinking that I need a larger pilot jet. I don't really get much action out of the mixture adjustment screw. That is turning the mixture screw does not change the idle speed much.  

Thanks,
Steve

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #22 - 01/17/06 at 19:27:19

need to be fairly cafeful with that dang mixture screw - little devils can sure jam easy enough - depending on how high you idle is set the mixture adjustment may be subtle - you have a tach ?

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #23 - 01/17/06 at 19:39:55

Yea, I have a light touch with those sort of things. Jus tthe right size screwdriver and no more torque thatn I can apply by rooling it between my fingers.

The rpm increase may just be subtle.  I do have the idle speed bumped up a bit, maybe that's a problem. I seemed to get the best idle about 1 3/4 turns out. But it runs pretty well all the way in or out.  

Is this screw adjusting the fuel or air? I assumed it is the fuel flow because that's what those thihgs generally do, but I saw a reference to the idle air screw on the parts fiche at Ron Ayers.

No tach.  I do plan to get one, but just haven't got around to it yet.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #24 - 01/17/06 at 20:54:25

You said that you did not remove the pilot jet or the pilot adjusting screw when doing the cleaning before.  You really need to do that.  Take EVERYTHING apart, soak it again, if you have any tiny tube brushes then use them to clean passages and/or blow ALL passages out with compressed air (WEAR EYE PROTECTION!).  

I think you will find that after doing all of that the engine will respond the way it is supposed to when you turn the adjusting screws.  The whole thing should take about 2 hours.

We look forward to a good report afterward.
It will not take much more time and you will be able to do it with a blind fold on.  Kind of like when in the military and learning to disassemble and assemble a rifle while blindfolded...with a stopwatch of course.  
By the way, I was the fastest with the rifle...no brag...just fact.

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #25 - 01/17/06 at 21:14:15

Thanks, lancer.

That screw does come out, then?  It seems to reach a point where it get really hard to turn before it's all the way out. I'm not sure that will come out.

But I know what you mean about taking the carb apart. I took the tank off 3 times in two days. I think I have that down now. And I replaced the screws with allen cap bolts, so that will be a breeze.

Steve

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #26 - 01/17/06 at 22:57:07

Yes, the adjusting screws will come out.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #27 - 01/18/06 at 09:57:45

LANCER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Yes, the adjusting screws will come out.

Unless that little brass slot goes flat like mine...grrrr Angry

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #28 - 01/26/06 at 21:58:42

I think I've just about got the backfiring problem solved.

To review, I had installed a Dyna muffler and a 152.5 main jet. But I still had some backfiring.

Then, I tried removing the idle mixture screw.  I stripped the slot in the screw.  So I had to give up on that.

I got a 55 pilot jet (thanks Reelthing). I removed the stock jet sprayed a lot of carb cleaner up the pilot circuit, and installed the larger pilot jet and a 155 main. The engine still backfired.

I'd read here that an exhaust leak could cause backfiring. So i went out Tuesday and bought some exhaust sealant, planning to put it on Saturday.

Today I got a K&N filter from Performance International (thanks for the tip pgolden).  I installed the filter and decided that try the engine.  It caused even more backfiring.  That didn't suprise me because of the increased air flow made the mixture even leaner.  

As it was running I noticed that the exaust pipe was getting really hot.  The garage was sort of dark and the exhaust was actaully glowing near the head.  

I decided to check the head to exhaust flange bolts after it cooled down. They were indeed loose. I pulled out the torque wrench and tightened them to 19 ft-lbs. Looks like I didn't tightened the bolts enough to crush the new gasket when I installed the new muffler.  

I started it up again and the backfiring is almost gone. The engine runs much smoother.  I hope to take the bike out for a ride Saturday and give it a good test.

Thanks to all those that helped.  

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #29 - 01/26/06 at 22:43:27

Good job, and don't feel bad.  That gasket will probably crush some more.  Vibration and heat/cooling.  Just check it again after a few miles.....

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/14/24 at 23:29:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Just a little black smoke?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.