Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print
2002 Savage will not start (Read 20 times)
thumper 92105

Re: 2002 Savage will not start
Reply #90 - 02/26/06 at 20:18:13

i bet a lot of us thumper riders learned a lot from reading all the replies. my savage once didn't start after i gassed it up, i imediatly thought something was wrong with the gas but turned out i was pinching wires under the seat, it started when on the kick stand in neutral an me standing on the side but when i got on it died so remobed the seat moved the wires and went on my way. goes to show sometimes we jump to conclusions like me blaming the gas.

IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #91 - 02/27/06 at 12:12:50

Here's the latest on my Savage....I've tried almost every adjustment on the idle mixture...from totally closed off to 3 turns out...stilll won't start when it is warm !! In fact, when trying to start it will backfire so now I'm thinking timing or electrical issue. This has been very frustrating because I'd rather ride than wrench!! I still refuse to bring it to the dealer to fix at this point. Don

IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #92 - 02/27/06 at 12:22:30

Steve: I did the 1/2 spacer mod and  installed 157 main jet ,but the  Jardine muffler was already on it when I got it.

Dynobob: No, I'm not twisting the throttle when trying to start it.

Thumper: I will check to see if any pinched wires are under the seat... good  idea thanks . Don

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #93 - 02/27/06 at 14:39:37

Hey Don,

157 main.  That's pretty big.  I have a 155 and I'm thinking that's too rich.

While you're checking for pinched wires, check to make sure that all the connections are tight.  Sometimes a bad connection is worse when hot.

Have you checked to be sure you're getting a spark when it's hot?

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #94 - 02/27/06 at 17:25:17

I wonder if that 157 flooded and the plug!  What size pilot jet do u have?

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #95 - 02/27/06 at 19:41:43

It really sounds like something electrical. When a bad electrical component gets hot that's when it fails. Since you previously had starting problems, I think this may still be haunting you.

Electronics isn't my strong suit but I'm thinking maybe it's your coil that's failing. They sell freeze spray at electronics stores. Maybe a quick blast to your coil will tell you if it's a heat induced failure. If it instantly comes back to life you will have found your problem.

Any electronics people here ? Maybe you could read the manual on the ignition system and how to troubleshooting it.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #96 - 02/28/06 at 05:15:50

I may have misunderstood but I didn't think it was stalling when warm; just that it wouldn't start back up after shutting it down until after it cooled.  It almost sounds like flooding and just needing time to evaporate.  A fouled plug could exacerbate that too, I guess.  So ride it, park it, shut it down, try starting.  If she won't start, drain the float bowl and retry.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #97 - 02/28/06 at 06:46:52

It almost sounds like a vapor lock or pinched fuel line. I don't know if you changed the fuel line and vacumn line with everything you have already done to the bike. Could be the tubing leaks when hot, just a thought.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #98 - 02/28/06 at 07:04:23

157.5 is pretty big - but shouldn't effect startup much as long as the needle has it shut off like it should. - are you real sure the slide was very clean when reinstalled?

so does it keep running after it get's hot and just won't start again or does the engine die after it warms up?

IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #99 - 03/01/06 at 07:22:55

Jim_R:  I have not changed the pilot jet so I assume that
it is stock size.

Savage_Rob: It did stall out twice when warm and also would not start  until it cooled off.

Reelthing: Re: the slide..."was it very clean " I was very careful when I put it back together so I really think that the problem has to do with ignition or timing. Don

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #100 - 03/01/06 at 07:33:22

Okay then.  Dynobob may be right.  Try the freeze spray on your igniter, voltage regulator and coil and see if it makes any difference.  I would doubt the coil would succumb to this sort of problem but it's certainly worth a shot.

You might also pull your vacuum line to be sure the petc0ck isn't allowing fuel into the vacuum line.

Oh yeah, it's worth checking to be sure the brass washer/spacer that was installed with the main jet is actually still there.  It's been known to cause similar problems.

What have I done?

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #101 - 03/03/06 at 10:41:45

Update ...after reading many related posts re "hard starting,carb issues, ect... I thought about what changes I've made.
To review, my bike ran fine( but  slow) before I did anything to it. All I did was install bigger main jet ( it was a 155 not a 157 as I recently said),sanded spacer to about 1/2,and adjusted mixture screw(pilot) and put in a new battery and spark plug.
It ran great for a while, then started to quit when it got hot.
That's where I am still. I do remember tho that before  I put the diaphragm assembly back in after mods to the white spacer, I "cleaned" the slide surface with wd 40 and applied a small amount of light grease to the "piston",thinking the some lube would be a good thing..Now I'm thinking that may be the source of my problem!!. Unfortunately,when I reinstalled the cover , I stripped one the internal threads on the carb top .(I was hoping that I would never have to take the top off again !!
What do you suggest ? Thanks Don

IP Logged
Reelthing
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Fish or ride that is
the question

Houston,Tx
Reply #102 - 03/03/06 at 10:57:49

Grease on the slide just will not work -even greasey/dirty finger prints are not good and
can cause the exact problem you describe.

How do I know? was he born with this knowledge Cheesy
yea I wish - I've cause it on this carb and a couple of others when I put them back together in a hurry. If it's just a little bit what you'll see when you take the slide out is all the grease has collected at the bottom of the bore forming a ring - as the carb get's hotter the tolerences shrink as the metal expands - you need to clean out the bore and clean the slide - I use a little spray electric contact cleaner on a rag.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #103 - 03/03/06 at 11:30:39

don sinclair wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:03:
I "cleaned" the slide surface with wd 40 and applied a small amount of light grease to the "piston",thinking the some lube would be a good thing..Now I'm thinking that may be the source of my problem!!.

I think you have it figured out Don. No grease should be on the slide. You may be able to spray some carb cleaner in from the top or from the rear to clean it up.

I'd do something about that stripped screw. Either put a helicoil in it or see if a nut will fit on the bottom.

Personally, I'd remove the carb  :'( ,clean the slide, and have the stripped threads helicoiled by a machine shop (or do it yourself).

IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #104 - 03/03/06 at 20:15:52

Thanks guys..I'm going to take the carb off(again).
Should I use electric contact cleaner or carb cleaner on the slide and cylinder?
Yes , I'm going to have a machine shop do the rethread.
Thanks again, don

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 15:17:58

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2002 Savage will not start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.