Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print
2002 Savage will not start (Read 20 times)
Mike M
YaBB Newbies

Re: 2002 Savage will not start
Reply #120 - 05/08/06 at 12:23:15

Don - this has been mentioned several times through the thread, but it still isn't clear to me....Is the vacuum line to the petthingy properly attached and not leaking?  Have you tried to run with the PRI setting?  If you problem goes away in PRI, the something is wrong with that vacuum line.  I knock mine off or damage it everytime I remove the tank because I either forget to detach it in the first place, or fail to reattach it.

IP Logged
SeattleSavage
Ex Member

Reply #121 - 05/08/06 at 22:48:17

Hmmm sometimes when the electronics get hot they do loose power. If your coil were failing you could get a weak spark after running her for awhile. Check it for cracks or pull the plug wire attach a second plug and check to see if it has a spark. (when it's hot)

Just another suggestion, the thread is the longest I've seen, so I didn't want to be left out.
Good Luck with it Don, I know how frustrating it can sometimes be.

Kevin

IP Logged
stock87
Ex Member

Reply #122 - 05/09/06 at 05:12:19

YO DON WHATS GOING ON?  ANY WORD FROM THE DEALER?

IP Logged
Serowbot
YaBB Moderator
ModSquad

OK.... so what's the
speed of dark?

Tucson Az
Reply #123 - 05/14/06 at 00:03:22

Don,
I'm having a a very similar problem.  Have tried jetting, carb, spark, blah... blah...
After reading about pet-thingy and pet-thingy conversion I'm leaning toward conversion.
Some posts say p-t goes bad and leaks into crankcase, some say p-t goes bad and sucks fuel into mix, bypassing pilot.  
Ding! Ding! Bells are going off in my head!
I'm rich at idle even with mix screw full in.  Stumbly idle, worse when warm.  Hard starting.  Bad milage.  
I think I might have gas in the pet-thingy vac line feeding into the idle-mix.
Mike M may be on the right track.
Hope it helps us both.
Not alone in this nightmare,  Bob

Ludicrous Speed !... ... Huh...
  IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #124 - 05/15/06 at 13:09:24

First of all.. to Stock87 and others, I was extremely busy
last week  ,didn't touch the Savage. It IS going  to the dealer
Tues( tommorow).
To Mike M, Vac line to carb is properly attached,no leaks.
Yes,I tried have  running it in PRI... motor still stops whenit gets hot.
To SeattleSavage, spark DOES seem weak when bike gets hot so I think maybe it is heat /electrically related. I no nothing about electrical so I hope the shop can  finally solve the problem. Don

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #125 - 05/16/06 at 05:45:24

You could use clear tubing on the vacuum line to see if it's getting fuel in it... and either a clear line or clear filter on the fuel line to see when it has fuel.  If you suspect you may be getting excess fuel dumped into the carb, whether through the fuel or vacuum line, please check your crankcase oil to be sure it hasn't been contaminated.  If you think it may have been but aren't sure, it's definitely safer to change it.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #126 - 05/19/06 at 12:19:40

HELP GUYS!!!
The dealer just called me and said that the cd coil is not working properly and is saying that I need to get a new stator also  since the coil  cannot be replaced separately on my model(2001).IS THIS TRUE?  He says that parts and labor will be in the $500 dollar range!!!
I told him NOT to do anything yet. I want to check this out further. What would you do ? Thanks Don

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #127 - 05/19/06 at 12:30:24

I looked it up at bikebandit.com and it's available seperately. $69. Perhaps you misunderstood the dealer ???

IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #128 - 05/19/06 at 12:34:10

By the way ,he said the stator checks out ok. What the deal?
I know nothing about electronics. Don

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #129 - 05/19/06 at 12:46:17

Here's the page. There's other parts in the $400 range.

Link

IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #130 - 05/19/06 at 12:59:45

Dynobob,
Thanks , I got to go back to work  soon.  I'll try to make sure I write down exactly what the dealer says to me by phone later today. Don

IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #131 - 05/20/06 at 12:35:14

Here's what  my local mc shop said .
He says that the stator itself is ok but the "pulse generator"
is shutting down( see page 212 of Clymer manual-part number 2 on the diagram). He  described it as a kind of magnetic switch.  He says that part is all part of the stator assembly and is not available separately.
The big issue as far as I know is that the Clymer book he is using is for 1986-1988 Savages ! My bike says "2000" on the
front fork id plate.
Does anyone know the differences in these years regarding these parts?? For example would  the older year parts fit if they are easier to get ?
The bike bandit  site parts don't look like Clymer info at all!

IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #132 - 05/20/06 at 12:58:41

UPDATE.... I just found the Ron Ayers website.
Went  to "Magneto" and there was the stator assembly with that part attached but no separate part # so maybe he's right  .... I need to get the whole darn thing ! They quote $241.79 but  also may be a discontinued part ... What gives ?
What are my chances of finding good one used?
I'm thinking maybe I should get the part and install the stator my self and save his $65 an hour labor charge . He says about a 2 1/2 hour job. Anyone here changed one out ? Don

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #133 - 05/20/06 at 16:37:03

You've confused me on the year but the stators are the same from 1988 to 2002. I compared the pictures at Ronayers and  Bikebandit and they're identical.

I do see the part he's referring to. It's  the electronic ignition pickup and he is right - it's part of the stator assembly.

That part was changed for the 2003 model year (according to bikebandit).

Bikebandit shows it as available. Ronayers shows it as discontinued. I don't understand this because Suzuki is mandated to keep parts for 10 years by the government I think.

I'll let someone else advise you as to the difficulty of replacing it yourself. If you go that route, you'll probably be charged the labor your mechanic used to diagnose the problem + towing or whatever. You might also p!ss off your mechanic a bit  Wink

IP Logged
don sinclair

Reply #134 - 05/22/06 at 09:35:29

Has anyone on this list ever changed out their  stator assembly( AKA magneto) ?Is so, does it involve partial removal of the motor?  thanks don

IP Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 15:20:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2002 Savage will not start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.