Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print
2002 Savage will not start (Read 20 times)
Don Sinclair

2002 Savage will not start
01/12/06 at 19:08:03

Hope someone here can help me.
I bought a excell cond 4,000 mi savage(2002) a few months ago. I decided to do the carb mod suggested here to increase power and reduce or eliminate the backfire problem.
I followed all the instructions carefully including reducing the thickness of the white plastic spacer,adjusted the mixture,and put it all back together and it won't  start !
I'm getting spark,got gas altho battery cranks a little slow. Any suggestion  please. I'm so frustrated right now, I'm getting ready to sell and go back to  moto guzzi's !! Don

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Re: 2002 Savage will not start
Reply #1 - 01/12/06 at 19:13:47

Pull the fuel line off at the carb and see if you are getting any fuel in any petc0ck position...If you have fuel, tap on the float bowl to reset the needle and seat..

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #2 - 01/12/06 at 19:15:18

And charge that Battery !!!

IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/12/06 at 19:15:49

Did you replace the vacuum line. Thats what lets fuel flow from the petcock.

IP Logged
Don Sinclair

Re: 2002 Savage will not startDon
Reply #4 - 01/12/06 at 19:19:55

Thanks for the very quick response. I'm going to charge the battery overnight on slow  and check out the other suggestions in the morning. Thanks again

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #5 - 01/12/06 at 19:21:37

Your bike should start easier after the carb mods. You've obviously got something amiss with the carb - float level got moved, CV diaphram holed or top lip not in right, parts not put back in the right order.

Check the carb photos in the Tech Section here, or go to http://www.bikebandit.com or http://www.ronayers.com and study the parts fische. If you have a manual, study the carb diagrams.

I can assure you, working on a Savage is a whole lot easier than working on a Moto Guzzi  Grin

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #6 - 01/12/06 at 19:22:54

I used to know a Don Sinclair...Are you in Portland??

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #7 - 01/12/06 at 19:28:57

SAMM wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Pull the fuel line off at the carb and see if you are getting any fuel in any petc0ck position...

Fuel should flow freely out of the disconnected fuel line in the "Prime" position. This doesn't require vacuum and is always on. You can and should use the Prime position while trying to get your bike started.

Once you have your problems sorted use the ON and Reserve positions. They work in an automatic fashion using engine vacuum to turn on and off. The ON and reserve positions have been known to malfunction on these petc0cks.

IP Logged
Don Sinclair

Reply #8 - 01/12/06 at 19:43:37

I did not use "prime" position  in trying to start it, but I'll try it.
I tried to align everything  but I did have problems getting the lock plate screwed  to the diaphragm .Real pain in the a**. The needle assembly seemed to work fine though.
No I'm not from Portland.. I live in Oceanside, Ca.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #9 - 01/12/06 at 19:55:40

Don Sinclair wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I did have problems getting the lock plate screwed  to the diaphragm .Real pain in the a**.

I've been there. The trick to getting those screws in is to tape the screw to your screwdriver with a little electrical tape. It's a piece of cake, just don't lose the tape in the carb.

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #10 - 01/12/06 at 19:59:14

I did not use "prime" position  in trying to start it, but I'll try it.
I tried to align everything  but I did have problems getting the lock plate screwed  to the diaphragm .Real pain in the a**. The needle assembly seemed to work fine though.
No I'm not from Portland.. I live in Oceanside, Ca.

That should do it. I learned that trick the hard way after a jet change. Float bowl was empty & it was cranking 'till the battery was half dead. Put it on prime & it started right up.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Don Sinclair

Reply #11 - 01/13/06 at 09:59:55

I charged my battery last nite and this morning I checked
the gas supply to the carb.it is getting gas ..it cranks over fine and but still
won't start !!
I noticed an  older comment about  there being a brass washer on  the jet . I don't remember that when I replaced
with the 155. So I guess I'll check that next.
Have to go to work now so maybe Sat I'll  try again.
So far , I have to say that my Guzzi is MUCH easier to work on ! At least the carb issue. Thanks again to all of you who have offered suggestions.

IP Logged
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Reply #12 - 01/15/06 at 07:05:34

I charged my battery last nite and this morning I checked
the gas supply to the carb.it is getting gas ..it cranks over fine and but still
won't start !!
I noticed an  older comment about  there being a brass washer on  the jet . I don't remember that when I replaced
with the 155. So I guess I'll check that next.
Have to go to work now so maybe Sat I'll  try again.
So far , I have to say that my Guzzi is MUCH easier to work on ! At least the carb issue. Thanks again to all of you who have offered suggestions.

Guzzis are great bikes.  I'd like to have one.  But if you make a mistake when working on it, it might not start either  Smiley  Don't blame the bike  Grin

Did you check to make sure that you DO have gas in the carb, as others have said?  

Did you turn the petc0ck to PRI and check for gas flow to the carb at the bowl drain?  A glass jar is useful when you do.

Are you sure that the floats were okay before you closed it up?

After you have another "unsuccessful attempt" to start the bike, check to see if you can smell any gas in the tailpipe.

If you forgot the washer on the main jet, that wouldn't prevent the bike from starting because the main has little to do with starting.  I've also noticed that the washer can remain inserted in the carb when you remove the jet (hence, you wouldn't notice) so that may be a non-issue.  I'd worry about it only if there is a problem after the bike is running.

Keep hammering away at it.  The Savage is well known as an easy bike to maintain because it is built so simple.  You'll probably slap yourself in the forehead when you find out why it won't start.

IP Logged
don Sinclair

Reply #13 - 01/16/06 at 15:32:14

Ok Greg and others.
I am getting gas to the carb and I am "smelling" some gas
from the end of the tail pipe just after trying to start it again, but still no luck starting it.. It cranks over  ok and  headlite is bright. Any more suggestions before I start taking off the seat and all  again to check whether the spk plug is wet  and pull the carb off again. Thanks guys, Don

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #14 - 01/16/06 at 15:34:37

Time for a new spark plug !!!  Go buy a couple they are cheap.........

IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 10
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
10/12/24 at 11:17:01

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › 2002 Savage will not start

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.