Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Forward Controls Update
01/12/06 at 16:20:52

Here's a quick update on the forward controls I've tackled, could of been riding this week but instead decides to get this
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/500400/
which is a 15"x15" piece of 1/2 inch aluminium plate and did this to it
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/500401/
with a metal cutting blade in a band saw(lots of fun, the plate cuts like butter Grin) Never thought that old bandsaw could do such a nice job. Here are the forward controls mocked up on the bike.
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/500403/
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/500404/
http://www.bikepics.com/pictures/500405/
Next is the brake cable bracket which will be bolted on and the shift rod which wil be made out of 1/4 inch rod with the ends drilled and the tips of the stock rod brazed in the holes. I was sitting on the bike this afternoon and boy what a difference four inches make in leg room.
I'm between jobs right now (bored to he11) and am thinking about cutting out more of these, just wondering how many Savage owners would be interested in a set, not sure how much to charge yet, probably under $200.00, just wondering who is interested.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Re: Forward Controls Update
Reply #1 - 01/12/06 at 19:08:47

You might think about selling a paper template when you get them done !!!

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #2 - 01/12/06 at 19:16:18

Great job, great pics!

I wonder what the max length forward controls could be (on the Savage, of course) ?

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/12/06 at 20:07:14

It only cost me 20.00 for all the metal I used for 2 sets.  Of course that isnt alum.  One thing u might want to note.  The shift rod is reverse thread at the front and normal on the back.  We removed the mount for the brake line and rewelded on the new plate.  That way the lines didnt twist when u pressed the rear brake.

We also made a rear brake extension  that looks like this

I I
       I I
     / ^  \
    I I   I I

kinda like a fork.  Looking good so far.  
Also u might want to get a nylon locknut for the stock bolt that isnt the motor mount on the left side near the kickstand.  Mine got loose somehow (maybe from the different distribution of weight) and I used a locknut just in case.
Good luck

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #4 - 01/13/06 at 06:19:19

I guess I'll forget about making a batch of them Undecided, the labor is what costs, not the material. I'll be happy to send out paper templates of this design for free. They will be tracings of the plates and I can include some construction notes to help.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 01/13/06 at 07:33:35

Ed,
I am sure , everybody will grately appreciate this !

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
mmosel
2005 No Login

My bike is
officially THUMPING
now.

NW Oregon
Reply #6 - 01/14/06 at 01:58:08

If I had the extra cash I would probably buy a set - but I'm strapped after the holidays.

I'm still curious, do you think one could have six inch forward extensions?

IP Logged
torque
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

2008 nightster,flat
od green and black

rock hill,S.C.
Reply #7 - 01/14/06 at 04:29:14

mmosel wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
If I had the extra cash I would probably buy a set - but I'm strapped after the holidays.

I'm still curious, do you think one could have six inch forward extensions?

mine are extendened 5 inches out and 1 inch down,u could go out anouther inch,but i think five is perfect.

IP Logged
clueless-FSO

Birmingham, Al
Reply #8 - 01/14/06 at 06:25:15

I have the skills, but not the toys to make the plates. More than willing to pay for them. Closest I got was highway pegs.
Great looking work!! Let me know if anyone does want to sell a set. Thanks.

'96 Black "bed liner" paint.. Ed_L forward controls, HD bars with 1"socket risers, 155 main, pod filter, HD exhaust, punched baffle, modded seat, chain drive conversion, slavy mod
one of a kind
WWW   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #9 - 01/14/06 at 07:13:17

Looks like the thicker aluminium plate gives some clearance problems with the shifter. I ended up cutting the sleeve that the pedal is welded on and used that piece as a spacer to move the pedal assembly in to clear the plate. The extra thickness also uses up more of the engine thru bolt's length than the stock setup. If I'm going to use the stock heat shield the mounting tubes welded to the frame will need to be trimmed by maybe 1/4 an inch. I also picked up two lock nuts for the long bolts, sometimes it is hard to keep regular nuts tight on aluminium. Fabricated the bracket for the brake cable, took a couple tries to get it right. So far, so good though Cheesy.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 01/14/06 at 14:37:07

Cant you drill some recessed holes on the inside of the plates so they fit into the tubes welded to the frame?  
I would do this before cutting those tubes down because it would have to be a pretty precise measurement or ur heat shield might be too far in.  This also might make ur heat shield angled instead of flush.

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #11 - 01/14/06 at 14:49:20

great work guy.

for once being short has it's advantages.  Grin

why don't ya write it up for the technical section.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #12 - 01/14/06 at 15:45:31

I went ahead and cut down the mounting tubes where the long bolts go thru, taped it off and used a grinder, must be chrome molly cause a hacksaw just bounced off the metal. I was thinking about recessing the mounting points but didn't want to have the aluminium that thin. If I ever want to take the plates off the bike I'll just stack some washers to make up for the metal which I removed. Currently on my fourth brake cable bracket design. Was drilling a piece of 1"x3/16" flatstock and then bending it 90 degrees so it can be bolted on. Just realized that some angle iron would be soo much easier to work with and would look a lot better than a piece of thick flat stock that has been beaten into an 90 degree angle with a big hammer and a torch, hello design #5. Cheesy. The heat shield is mounted on the outside of the plate so it shouldn't be a problem hitting the exhaust pipe, I'll worry about that after I am happy with the rear brake cable bracket.
Hey Sluggo, I'll start posting all this over in technical under the forward controls section. Need to take some pictures first. Congrats on being made moderator

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/04/24 at 18:48:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Forward Controls Update

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.