Send Topic Print
problems (Read 0 times)
Bike72
Ex Member

problems
01/10/06 at 19:58:28

Hello!
I'm Alex from Russia
In the fall of 2005 I bought an old Savage (produced in 1989) The motorcycle was in therunning order, however I have found several faults in it recently.
First, the carburator could not properly hold idler wheels and the engine unwinded very hard. Having looked inside the carburator I have notised two holes in the vacuum diaphragm. I have ordered a new diaphragm but due to very severe cold wheather in Siberia Russia. These days I can't start the motorcycle now. The question in respect of this issue is what else except for diaphragm can negatively affect the work of carburator.
Another and more impotant problem is when the engine is fading I hear a terrible clank of metallic sound somewhere in or around the engine. I can't determine where this sound comes from and where I have to check first.
Sorry, I'm not much experienced motor-mechanic and my questions may sound a bit silly, but I wound be most thankful if someone will give me some ideas on these problems.
Thank you in advance.
Alex

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: problems
Reply #1 - 01/10/06 at 22:14:27

Welcome!

That diaphragm definitely needs replacing and the carb could probably stand a thorough cleaning.  Making sure your fuel tank doesn't have a lot of junk in it and that your petc0ck screen is clean are always good on an older bike.  I'd install an inline fuel filter along the way as an added filter before the carb.  If you get the clear plastic kind, they are also good visual indicators of fuel flow.

About the sound, I don't know.  I would suggest that you search this site (using the search function) and look for backlash and see if that sounds like your symptoms.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
AL_DOWN_UNDER
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 01/10/06 at 22:15:00

ALEX IF YOU HAVE HOLES IN THE DIAPHRAGM YOU HAVE PROBLEMS AND THEY WONT GO AWAY UNTILL YOU REPLACE IT . AND THATS A GOOD PLACE TO START Shocked

IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #3 - 01/10/06 at 22:25:02

AL_DOWN_UNDER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
ALEX IF YOU HAVE HOLES IN THE DIAPHRAGM YOU HAVE PROBLEMS Shocked

yeah  lot's of unwanted kids happen that way.   Shocked

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
Kropatchek
Serious Thumper

Why more than 1
cylinder?

Alphen a/d Rijn  Netherlands
Reply #4 - 01/11/06 at 03:10:15

AL_DOWN_UNDER wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
ALEX IF YOU HAVE HOLES IN THE DIAPHRAGM YOU HAVE PROBLEMS AND THEY WONT GO AWAY UNTILL YOU REPLACE IT . AND THATS A GOOD PLACE TO START Shocked

Missed you, welcome back Al!!!!

Greetz
Kropatchek Grin

Never ask your bike to scream before her throat is warm.
'93 Sav in '96 ( yellow) looks
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 01/11/06 at 04:39:25

I used to hear a metallic noise when my cam chain was slapping against the wall.  You might want to check that it is still in place with the guides and tensioner isnt all the way out.  Mine finally broke and bent my valves.

IP Logged
SavagePielk
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 01/11/06 at 05:01:15

and maybe his valve clearance isn't correct, could be he hears the pushrods (or whatever you call them) rattling against the valvestem. Whatever it is, check it quickly and don't drive it before you found the problem, because this sounds like a serious problem!

IP Logged
orrin7
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 01/11/06 at 16:42:58

as everyone said before me fix carb first.  and by fading i assume you are talking about decelleration. if the metal sound was something real major you would know what it is by now because something would be coming apart. not take it lightly b/c all sound are major. but it could be something as simple as a cover loose and vibrating due to the harmonic change . now i am not a motorcycle mechanic and i have not taking my s40 apart "yet". but i do work on race car engines for a living, and on our stuff when you close the throttle your timing belt will slap the cover due to valve train pressure and change in crankcase harmonics. and as someone said before me check your cam chain. also change your oil and look at it and your filter very well and run a manet through your oil .

IP Logged
SAMM
Serious Thumper

No lay down crotch
rocket for me

Portland Oregon
Reply #8 - 01/11/06 at 17:05:20

My 87 made a loud clanking noise when cranking but after I bought it and got it home changed the oil and started it up it sounded fine...How long has it been setting??  Start it and build some oil presure see how it sounds after the diaphram has been installed...

My Bike My Mistress ( so my wife calls her )
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 10:43:47

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › problems

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.