Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
muffler and jets (Read 5 times)
orrin7
Ex Member

muffler and jets
01/03/06 at 18:27:05

I have recently put a sportster muffler on my 2005 s40 and adjusted the mixture screw. i am two turns out now. i was planning on rejetting my carb to a 154 or 155 . i have only ridden about 5 miles since my mods and i noticed i smutted up my rear brake linkage from the exhaust . i wonder why should' nt i be a little lean still. any answers would be appreciated.

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Re: muffler and jets
Reply #1 - 01/03/06 at 20:47:27

I can tell ya that u might need need a 10 degree bend in your muffler reducer sleeve so u can point the muffler away from the rear brake.

If you decide to rejet to a 152.5 or a 155 u might want to upgrade your air filter to a k&n or a k&n pod filter.
You might want to shave your white spacer down inside the carb to half it thickness and rejet the pilot to a 55 insted of the 52.5 stock jet.

Good luck and do a search on rejetting or white spacer.Also check the technical section. lots of good stuff in dere

IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #2 - 01/04/06 at 19:02:05

Jim,

I was think about putting a Sportster muffler on too.  

I've seen a small sleeve adapter on J&P and JCWhitney, but how would you put a 10 degree bend in that?  

Do you just make sure you bend the mounting tab so that when you bolt it up it points away from the brake?

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 01/04/06 at 20:18:04

Well from my understanding a straight muffler will blow exhaust over the rear brake.  A muffler shop would have a 10 degree pipe.  I have read from a few members they actually used a hammer or even their own body weight to bend the front of the muffler, not just the tab.  

I have a mac muffler and it already has a bend in it.

IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #4 - 01/04/06 at 20:59:07

Steve530 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I've seen a small sleeve adapter on J&P and JCWhitney, but how would you put a 10 degree bend in that?

Steve, find out what size pipe you need. Go to a muffler shop and tell them you need a short piece with a 10 degree bend in it. They'll make it for you.

IP Logged
slavy
Serious Thumper

smart cars for
stupid people

Phoenix, Arizona
Reply #5 - 01/04/06 at 21:25:26

May be Your best bet will be 150 or 152.5 main.
Either shave the spacer to about 1.5 -1.2 mm thickness or put small washers with the same added thickness.
About the pipe - not a big deal that the brake arm is a little smocked. If it realy bothers You- go to muffler shop as the others suggested. It is no worthed Your time to do it Yourself and save $10. Just make sure You mounted the muffler to the exhaust bracket. Don't leave it hanging on the header pipe.

The arificial intelligence is no match for the natural stupidity
  IP Logged
Steve530
2005 No Login

Knoxville, TN
Reply #6 - 01/04/06 at 22:00:05

So would the muffler shops have the adapter sleeves, too?

BTW, anybody know if HD Dyna mufflers fit and if they are better or worse than Sportster mufflers for out application?

And the Sporster mufflers seem to come with two part numbers 65605-97 and 65613-97.  One appears to be longer than the other.  Do both work on the Savage?

Steve

'97 Black / 1/2 white spacer
155 main jet / 55 pilot jet / Dyna muffler
snorkel removed / K&N drop in / seat raised
Slipstreamer SS30 windshield
  IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #7 - 01/05/06 at 15:49:43

The Dyna mufflers fit better because there is no drilling or bending of brackets required. Just get a muffler reducer sleeve and a bolt to fit the slot on the back of the muffler and mount it. You should be able to use your stock muffler clamp. Looks and sounds great. Check out the thread:
Almost new Harley Dyna Muffler Look.

in marketpalce for a look

I still have two left

Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:17:40

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › muffler and jets

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.