Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are there other Carbs for Savage? (Read 22 times)
vince95
Ex Member

Are there other Carbs for Savage?
01/03/06 at 01:35:10

I was wondering if anyone knows if there are other carbs that will work on the savage and how they perform? I am doing the mods to a stock carb right now.

IP Logged
SavagePielk
Ex Member

Re: Are there other Carbs for Savage?
Reply #1 - 01/03/06 at 02:23:21

I saw some names come by, try using the search and I think it'll turn out some names

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #2 - 01/03/06 at 03:02:30

IMHO Keihin are the best carbs out there but also the most expensive. The FCR37 would be best fitted with a Raask or similar 38mm i.d. header pipe.
The FCR's have a choke and accelerator pump making them very civilised to use.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 01/03/06 at 05:47:36

vince95 wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
I was wondering if anyone knows if there are other carbs that will work on the savage and how they perform? I am doing the mods to a stock carb right now.

Lancer sells some Edelbrocks and Amals that fit.  He sells them singly or in kit form with mounts, cables, etc.  I recently put the Amal Mk2 on mine and I like it a lot.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #4 - 01/03/06 at 06:00:51

Someone rang?

Current carb kits include:

-36mm Mikuni VM (roundslide) carb
-K&N filter
-Custom Barnett throttle cable
-mounting flange
-Sudco/Mikuni tuning manuel
-Carb tool
-extra main jets and pilot jets

This is the most complete carb kit designed for the Savage

The price for the kit is $295 + $15 shp = $310

IP Logged
klx650sm2002
Serious Thumper

The more I learn the
less I know.

Cumbria,England
Reply #5 - 01/03/06 at 06:39:53

I must agree Lancer's Mikuni VM kit is more practical than the FCR do it yourself route.
I'm sure He could do a FCR kit if pushed.
Given the time again I think I would have gone for a Mikuni HSR 42.

Clive W  Cheesy

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #6 - 01/03/06 at 07:07:54

INDEED!!

The carb kit is set up for the most PRACTICAL  (read $$$)  performance package.  

Anyone wishing to use a higher performance carburetor can get one in the kit, I will make any substitution desired....whethter it is a carb or cables or whatever.  The mounting flange can be changed to accept most any carb and Barnett can custom make virtually any cable needed.  The price would reflect the changes of course, but most any carb combo can be done.   I get most of the parts from Sudco, and any Mikuni or Keihin carb is available.

**Also, as an added note, we now have available "Barnett throttle cables for the older Savages"...the 80's models.  You can get them in basic black, braided stainless with clearcoat, braided stainless with carbon coat, or the platinum series.  Prices start at $30 for the black, $46 for the SS clearcoat and carbon, and $49 for the platinum series.

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #7 - 01/03/06 at 15:35:15

Lancer -  You seem to have tried quite a few - and set up kits for several levels of performanc/cost.   I remember seeing people post about the amal's for instance, as well as the mikuni's.  Out of curiosity, how many have you tried on the savage.  I will be looking to modify my sav too add some punch without too much noise - older guy- already hear too much noise in my own head Cheesy

IP Logged
theikeman

Live each day as if
it were your last

Gibsonton in South Florida
Reply #8 - 01/03/06 at 21:19:52

Hopw about this one?? Seems like one heck of a deal ..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=46000101...

Will this work and improve the savage??
Thanks
Ike

1996 Just bought it, Maroon, so much to do, so little time ... Future adds: Iridium, dyna muff, air filter mod, fork brace, 1 piece seat, carb mod and more
  IP Logged
vince95
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 01/04/06 at 00:02:16

Thank You everyone for the great responses  Cheesy Very informative. I would like to go with one of those kits in the future when I can afford one.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #10 - 01/04/06 at 07:03:10

Trippah wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
Lancer -  You seem to have tried quite a few - and set up kits for several levels of performanc/cost.   I remember seeing people post about the amal's for instance, as well as the mikuni's.  Out of curiosity, how many have you tried on the savage.  I will be looking to modify my sav too add some punch without too much noise - older guy- already hear too much noise in my own head Cheesy

I have run the 36 & 38mm Amals, 36 & 38mm Mikuni's, and 36, 38 and 40mm Edelbrock's on my Savage.  (the amal and mikuni are roundslides and the edelbrock is a flatslide).  The Edelbrocks have a bit of an edge on performance and the needle adjustment setup is really easy to do on the fly.  But the Amal and Mikuni are good carburetors, especially the 36mm size when on a stock engine.  You can strap them on right out of the box and they work great.  All that is needed is a little pilot screw adjustment a then set the idle speed.  It takes all of 5 minutes after the engine is warmed up to operating temperature.  And an easy add-on for the Amal and Mikuni is the Dial-a-jet.  I had one on my modified stock carb and it worked quite well.  Right now I have a 38mm Amal on my bike and will be adding a Dial-a-jet before long.  The company that makes the Dial-a-jet has a part that attaches to the bottom side of the carb slide that is supposed to improve air flow and I want to try that as well..............I just love to tinker.
One of my Christmas presents is the Veypor computer, which I hope to have mounted and ready to go before the end of the month.  I am very anxcious for this puppy since some of the many functiions is a dyno program, giving hp and torque, 1/4 mile and 0-60 times and speeds.  With those programs I can monitor exactly what the bike is doing and whether the changes I make actually produce more power or less.  The performance data can be downloaded into my computer and shows power and torque at any rpm/speed.  The manufacturer has updated programs available on their website so you can get updates any time, and at no cost.  
This is the best product I have come across in a long time.  I am excited about it.

Sorry I got carried away, we started with the carburetors.  
Bottom line is that I like all of them because they work, and work well.   And the Savage loves them, especially when combined with a good muffler and K&N filter.  You get a great boost in power and responsiveness.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #11 - 01/05/06 at 19:26:08

Lancer- thanks for the info-is it the case that you would use the 36's if no major air flow mods, and the 38's if more extensive air flow work done- or vice versa. I'm at the carb 101 level, steep learning curve.  Fortunately, long winter to eat up Wink

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/18/24 at 09:43:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Are there other Carbs for Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.