Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Newbie - questions about my savage (Read 8 times)
cigaro
Ex Member

Re: Newbie - questions about my savage
Reply #15 - 01/16/06 at 12:13:38

The bags themselves are easy to put on, and the seat is easy to take off, but a lot of saddle bags require saddle supports. And after recently putting some Suzuki saddle supports on my Savage, I can attest to it not being very easy, given the cramped space of the wheel well, fender, and the fact that the stock bolts in the OEM kit did not work with existing chrome acorn bolt, so I had to make a trip to the hardware store to buy washers and new bolts.  Not a hard thing to do, but one more trip to the store than I'd planned given these were LS650 supports. I was able to do it alone because I have slender fingers.

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #16 - 01/16/06 at 12:50:57

cigaro wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
The bags themselves are easy to put on, and the seat is easy to take off, but a lot of saddle bags require saddle supports. And after recently putting some Suzuki saddle supports on my Savage, I can attest to it not being very easy, given the cramped space of the wheel well, fender, and the fact that the stock bolts in the OEM kit did not work with existing chrome acorn bolt, so I had to make a trip to the hardware store to buy washers and new bolts.  Not a hard thing to do, but one more trip to the store than I'd planned given these were LS650 supports. I was able to do it alone because I have slender fingers.

One more thing I like about having the Progressive 12.5" shocks... the extra room to work.  I just removed my saddlebag supports, sissybar and side rails over the weekend to install a turn signal conversion kit and it would have been a lot tougher with the stock shocks.  That was with the bike on the sidestand.  If you lift the bike, you'll open up space between the fender and tire to work much more easily.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
cigaro
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 01/16/06 at 14:15:47

Rob makes a good point. Having extra room to work under there would have been much appreciated.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #18 - 01/28/06 at 18:17:44

Thanks again! Smiley

I rode the savage today, and it was good to get on it.  I live in Canada, and we have some snow, but the temp. was @ 6 celcuis and the roads were fairly snow-free.  I did have to go slow on my road though, as there was a fair amount of sand from the snowplows.  The hwys were a lot better, and allowed me to get the bike upto
100 km/h for a bit.  My daughter was on the back, so I didn't want to freeze her.  I don't have a windshield yet, so it was a bit chilly.

Anyway, I keep the bike in our garage and it never goes below freezing, so I've been able to keep the battery in the bike, and ride it when the weather is ok.  I did put Stabil in the gas etc.

I also spoke to a local bike shop to see if they can do a check on the bike to make sure everything is ok.  The bike is a 2000, and only has 8000 kms. on it, so the engine is still like new, but everything would have aged by 5 years.  E.g  not sure if any rubber gaskets etc. would have  dried out in that time????  Then, as I have the time to read more of the manuals, I try to do more of the maintenance myself.

Safe riding!

DianeS

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Dynobob
Serious Thumper

2003 LS650 (with
Supertrapp)

Northern Virginia
Reply #19 - 01/28/06 at 23:37:03

DianeS. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:01:
The bike is a 2000, and only has 8000 kms. on it, so the engine is still like new, but everything would have aged by 5 years.  E.g  not sure if any rubber gaskets etc. would have  dried out in that time????

The gaskets should be fine for many more years. I would be concerned about the age of the tires. Rubber hardens with age. If you have the original IRCs, you might consider an upgrade.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #20 - 01/29/06 at 04:10:57

Just a quick note, the main jet only affects the last part of the throttle range, from 3/4 to full throttle.  This has nothing to do with the backfiring when the throttle is rolled off.  The pilot system is responsible for that portion, from idle to 1/4 throttle.  To fix a backfiring issue you must jet/tune the pilot system.

IP Logged
DianeS.

Love my 2000 savage!

Ontario, Canada.
Reply #21 - 02/11/06 at 19:50:01

Guess it's about time I replied, huh?

Thanks for the great advice!   Grin

I installed a Memphis Fat windshield, and will put my saddlebags on my savage, after I get it serviced.  I definately will get the tires inspected because they look fine, but were made in 2000.  

Can't wait for spring weather so I can get back on my bike!

Safe riding everyone!

Green 2000 Savage purchased in Nov. 2005. Memphis fat windshield, Willie and Max Saddlebags, jardine slash cut muffler, engine case guard, Metzler 880 ME tires, fork brace, and carb re-jetted.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/26/24 at 06:14:50

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Newbie - questions about my savage

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.