Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
What oil are you using in the Savage? (Read 17 times)
guitarsr4girls2
Ex Member

Re: What oil are you using in the Savage?
Reply #30 - 05/23/06 at 18:41:09

man, that's great news, b/c i was thinking about using canned cat food instead of oil...may not save me much money, but what stories i would have! Smiley

IP Logged
Brewbrother
Serious Thumper

Just lending a
helping hand.

Reply #31 - 05/23/06 at 19:01:53

911radioman wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:05:
Just as long as it doesn't have the energy conserving starburst on the back of the bottle, then car oils work well. Energy Conserving oils will do a number on your clutch.

Most 40 weights and up that I've seen don't have those.  I mostly use Castrol 10W-40 in winter/fall and 20W-50 in spring/summer.

I use castrol 20w-50 . The deep south commuters oil of choice.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized.
No spacer,60 pilot jet, 155 main jet, plug door, sportster muffler, k&n drop in, iridium plug, brake pedal mod,de-badged, Dunlops, bullet turn signals.
  IP Logged
pgolden
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 05/23/06 at 19:12:07

Honda GN-4 10W40 for my Savage. It's about $4.00 per quart.

IP Logged
650S
Ex Member

Reply #33 - 08/27/06 at 13:57:11

AussieSavage wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Hi ,
I am using  Castrol Active 4t (15w-50) mineral based oil in my  Savage and I know I should change and experiment with others.

After an oil change and clocking up 1,000 miles, my  Savage clutch starts to slip.Nothing major, but something you do notice on occasions. I put this down to thinning of the oil.

Just wondering if anyone else here has that problem and what oil are you using?

Have also purchased a highway bar and peg set  from  Ebay in America. Has Suzuki stamped at the bottom, so I am thinking its a factory extra.
I am 5ft 11 inches tall and these are a must for the taller guys.Just makes my riding much more comfortable and they sit at a nice height.

If anyone would like a picture of these bars and pegs just email me and I will send you some details. Someone handy might like to have the measurements and make it up themselfs.

Hope you all had a good Xmas.

Cheers from Australia

Gary

IP Logged
650S
Ex Member

Reply #34 - 08/27/06 at 14:00:17

i use valvoline 20w50  7000 miles on 2005 650

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #35 - 08/27/06 at 21:24:48

Maxum-4 Extra 100% Synthetic 15w50

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
pmanntex
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 08/28/06 at 10:00:57

Put Mobil 1 synthetic 10w-40 when  bought the bike 2001 (1500 miles).   Selection based on threads here and info obtained on www comparing performance of motorcycle lubricants based on controlled testing.  

I like many on this site have adopted the philosophy that lube changes are cheap compared to a re-bore or valve job, and changed it every 500 miles.  

However,  after two changes and watching the oil in the site glass while running in the Texas summer heat move like it has the viscosity of water, I am changing  to a Castrol Act-Evo 20W-50.
Any one out there got any experience with switching oil weights for running in different  hot/cold seasons?

IP Logged
JerryAssburger
Ex Member

Reply #37 - 08/28/06 at 11:14:49

This is a FUN thread!!! A friend of mine researched the web (exhaustively) and came up with the Rotella T oils; either mineral or synthetic. W-Mart sells it for $8 or $15 a gallon, respectively, and on my 13k bike, the synthetic hasn't caused any slip at all. (It has no friction-reducers or whatever it is that causes the clutch to slip.) Take care, all.

IP Logged
mickthelimey
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 08/29/06 at 01:05:41

while we are on the oil thing,whats the difference between 10/40 motor oil and 10/40 motor cycle oil,beside the price?
Hey Digger,it says in my clymer manual that the time interval is more important than the mileage interval because acids formed by combustion blowby will contaminate the oil even if the bike is not run for several months.

Science and Logic fly you to the moon,
Religion makes you fly into skyscrapers
  IP Logged
papi_ocho

super stock thumper

Oceanside, CA
Reply #39 - 08/30/06 at 15:22:50

JerryAssburger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:08:
This is a FUN thread!!! A friend of mine researched the web (exhaustively) and came up with the Rotella T oils; either mineral or synthetic. W-Mart sells it for $8 or $15 a gallon, respectively, and on my 13k bike, the synthetic hasn't caused any slip at all. (It has no friction-reducers or whatever it is that causes the clutch to slip.) Take care, all.

that's what i use(mineral) waiting to hit over 2000 miles to start using synthetic

06 S-40 ss carbbowl screws, ss valve cover bolts, turn signals lightup w/ brake light(removed for trouble shooting)
06 GS500F gstwins.com
06 Hayabusa.org
  IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 08/31/06 at 14:00:31

Hey I used this Oil and it made my engne blow up after I rebuilt it.  WAIT that was Torque!

Mine did blew up tho.  When I bought it, it had that  cam chain problem.  

Anyway to all future blow ups!  Please dont lock up ur rear wheel and skidd into the oncoming traffic.  Oh wait. That was u again TORQUE!  SHEESH. nothing fun ever happens to me.

IP Logged
LANCER
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Savage Beast
Performance Parts

Oklahoma
Reply #41 - 08/31/06 at 14:10:45

Where has Torque been lately?

Haven't seen much of either of you lately?

IP Logged
Jim_R
Ex Member

Reply #42 - 09/01/06 at 02:57:35

Torque is working a job (over 65 hrs a week  6 days a week).  We sometimes ride together but we have done alot of resting on the weekends.  I invited him to go to Myrtle beach fal bike week but he cant go.  I got a friend going with me 1st week in OCT.

IP Logged
jotrac

NW Pennsylvania
Reply #43 - 09/01/06 at 04:29:45

Pardon my ignorance, but what happens when a clutch slips?  How would I know if it was happening? ???

IP Logged
babbalou
Serious Thumper

Lewisville, Texas
Reply #44 - 09/01/06 at 18:26:13

jotrac wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:09:
Pardon my ignorance, but what happens when a clutch slips?  How would I know if it was happening? ???

You give it gas, let out the clutch, the revs rise but you don't move, or you move really slow. Almost like you're in neutral. Or, you open the throttle, revs go up but you don't accelerate.

Had an S40 Jul '04-Jan '07
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/23/24 at 08:32:54

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What oil are you using in the Savage?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.