Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Saddle bag brackets rub tire (Read 2 times)
JBALLSATX
Ex Member

Saddle bag brackets rub tire
12/26/05 at 09:39:18

Happy Holidays, everyone,

Well, my wife suprised me with saddlebag brackets for my 2001 savage. They are the Susuki ones and I put them on Christmas day. Now when I sit on the bike, the bolts rub on the tire ! Dang, just when I wanted to ride and the weather is great !

I bought this bike used and suspect that the previous owner put a larger diameter tire on the rear. It's a 140/90-15.  

Now I have a delemma, should I go back to the stock tire, if so, what size it it ? Otherwise, I'm considering the progressive shocks. Does anyone know if the 11 1/2 " 412-4201C shock will give me adequate lift ? The stock ones seem to be about 10 1/2 ". I weigh 230 lbs and may have a passenger on occasion.

Anyone that may have had this problem, please let me know. Thanks !

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: Saddle bag brackets rub tire
Reply #1 - 12/26/05 at 12:48:55

There are a lot of threads that cover this.  A couple of searches should turn some of them up.  This thread, just a few below your inquiry, contains some useful information.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Jim Ball

Reply #2 - 12/27/05 at 13:47:22

Hey, I just read a post that says that the stock rear tire is a 140/80/15 and the 140/90/15 is 1.1 " larger on the outside diameter. That gives me a better idea of how much lift I need to get clearance on the saddlebag support bolts.

I'm going to call Progressive Suspension when they get back from the holiday break on Jan. 3rd. The 11.5" shock may just work but I'll see if they have a 12" and share with this board.

thanks !

IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Reply #3 - 12/27/05 at 19:05:20

The stock shocks are 10.5".  The Progressive 11.5" will work fine.  A few of us, including me, already use the 12.5" Progressives and at least one person uses the 13.5" Progressives.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Jim Ball

Reply #4 - 12/28/05 at 12:01:25

Thanks Rob. I ordered the 412-4201C shocks today so I'll have them next week.

I really apreciate your replies and all of the good information in other posts .

What a great group !

IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
05/06/24 at 04:13:25

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Saddle bag brackets rub tire

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.