Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Kicking over a big thumper (Read 35 times)
Savage_Greg
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Don't go around your
ass to reach your
elbow...

SW Washington State
Re: Kicking over a big thumper
Reply #30 - 12/30/05 at 17:28:28

In the mid 80's, I had a friend that had a Yamaha XT 500.  It was a seriously clumsy, over weight bike with a stump puller of an engine.  When it was cold, the bike always started.  D@man, what a thumper motor, as long as it was going in a straight line.  Great for hill climbs if you could just stay on...

It had an indicator to find TDC when starting, but this was literally a bike to die for, if you ever stalled it in a mud hole.  One of us would ask, "where's George?", and back down the trail we'd go.  We'd have to take shifts on the kick starter.

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #31 - 01/01/06 at 09:56:56

For PerrydaSavage -

The GB 500 was a great bike!  I put a White Bros. header and SuperTrapp exhaust on it and also came down one tooth on the countershaft sprocket to give it a little more grunt off the line. As I recall, I came up a couple of sizes on both the pilot  and the main jet and that was it.  The bike had the most perfect balance between the gear ratios and engine output that I have ever seen.  It always seemed to be in just the exact gear at all times.  It was a  hoot to ride.  Really brought out the"boy racer" in me, but the cafe  bars were a little too radical for my 65 year old body and I finally sold it.  Still miss the old girl all the same.

Separate subject - Was in Newfoundland last summer. Came over on the ferry from N. Sidney and then went up the west coast to the top of the country.  What a beautiful place you have up there!  Great food, outstanding scenery and some of the nicest people in the world.

Keep on thumping!

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
MacAttack
Ex Member

Reply #32 - 04/07/06 at 13:04:00

I have an XR650R Honda that has no electric start (I call it my anti-theft device). It starts on the first or second kick, unless I fell off it, in which case it takes a few more.

It has two helpful features: an automatic compression release, and a reduction-gear kickstarter. It does take a bit of practice, but I've never broken anything.

IP Logged
Bugscraper
2004 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #33 - 04/09/06 at 14:10:41

penguinsscareme wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
Available from where?  No, I don't have 2500 to drop on a kicker, but I'm curious enough to want to see how it's set up.

I'd also like to see it, if anyone has a link.

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #34 - 04/10/06 at 08:45:37

Bugscraper wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:04:
I'd also like to see it, if anyone has a link.

I've searched high and low - I'm begining to think it's a myth...

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Reply #35 - 04/10/06 at 13:03:31

How would you know when the piston is at the right place to kick and start?

IP Logged
mpescatori
Serious Thumper

Romanum Thumperium
Cavalco, yeaaah !!!

Rome, Italy
Reply #36 - 04/10/06 at 13:55:14

Ed L. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I've got a little Ducati 250, the thing will give you a sore ankle for a week when it kicks back. When I first put together the timing was a bit advanced, thought I broke an ankle a couple times trying to get it started. It's backwards with the kicker on the left and shifter on the right. Don't think I would like to take on a big thumper or V twin.

Well, back in 1978 I bought 3rd hand a beautiful Ducati Scrambler 450 cc, she had a 6V. electrical system so kick start only, on the left side as Ed_L. says, and the decomprsssion lever under the clutch lever that was so big you'd mistake it for an extra clutch/rear brake/whatever. That bike demanded respect !!!

I remember it took me quite a while to learn the drill, and when I showed up in school many laughed, snickering at my 'sheperdmobile' Angry. I dared one to race each other's bike around the block, starting from a dead engine(off), he had a 125cc 2stroke, I had my sheperdmobile... I kicked his to life, clicked into gear and sped off in a cloud of blue smoke, expecting to hear the big single thundering behind me... when I arrived after going 'round the blick, he was sitting and massaging his ankle...   8)

Once the decompressor cable snapped, and after two feeble attempts at kickstaring her with brute force, I ... saw the light and bump-started her!

If you look at the pic carefully, you'll notice 1) the spark plug is VERY easy to reach! 2) the sidestand has a very neat footpeg so you can flip it open (next to the foot brake) and 3) a center stand  Grin Grin Grin

She also had a huge, 8 inch round pan for an air filter on the right side, which I liked very much.

Now you see why I like the savage so much!

Maurizio
http://www.ducati.com/heritage/anni60/scrambler/scrambler.jhtml;jsessionid=43...

Maurizio Pescatori, Esq.
Gentleman Rider

Mikuni BST40, K&N filter, Stage2 cam, Verslagen tensioner, Sportster muff, 120 proof moonshine, Pirelli MT 66 tourers... and a chain conversion too !
mpescatori   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
06/02/24 at 04:56:14

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kicking over a big thumper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.