Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Kicking over a big thumper (Read 35 times)
vroom1776
Serious Thumper

Re: Kicking over a big thumper
Reply #15 - 12/21/05 at 08:00:14

I'm gonna have to learn the kickstart tricks... got a 1975 rd 350 in the garage that still needs some love... no electric starter...  breaks my heart  Wink

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #16 - 12/21/05 at 08:34:10

I wish street bikes still had kick-starters (along w/ electric starters).

My first two big street bikes were 750cc triples (a '75 Suzuki GT750 and a '77 Yamaha XS750D).  Even though they had electric starters, I'd always kick-start them.

If either of these bikes took more than two kicks to start, hot or cold, it meant I needed to do a tune-up (three sets of points Sad).

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
bentwheel
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ride free, citizen

Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
Reply #17 - 12/21/05 at 08:44:52

Digger wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
I wish street bikes still had kick-starters (along w/ electric starters).

Yeah, I agree Digger. When I had a Honda 750 Four, I routinely kick started it in a crowd. It was surprisingly easy to start.

Bentwheel FSO
2006 Suzuki 650 V-Strom
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 Honda CL175
  IP Logged
jimbrough
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 12/21/05 at 09:15:58

Paladin. wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
That can happen with little singles too.  We dug my uncle's RV125 out of the shed where it had sat for a year or so.  Kick.  Kick.  Kick.  Kick.  Push up and down the street.  Kick.  Kick.  I go in the house for a drink, Wendy asks, "Did you remember to turn on the gas?"  "What do you think we are, stupid?"  Go back out.  Bike starts in aq short while.  Go back in the house.  Wendy has the class to not smirk.

I love it when they DON'T smirk! Smiley

IP Logged
savage777
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 12/21/05 at 10:32:39

dad used to have an old NORTON and that thing was like kickin over a Buick

IP Logged
SeeAPierce
2005 No Login

California
Reply #20 - 12/21/05 at 11:01:43

Given my 'druthers I'd take both...after right knee surgery last year there are days when I just wouldn't be able to get my old 2 stroke 250 kicked over much less this big street single.  BUT when I've got enough ibuprophen in my system and want to feel cool (I never look all that cool, but I like to feel it every now and then), I'd love to be able to start it up with a big kick.

'06 S40 green: sporty muff & 10 degree adapter 155 main jet, 1/2 white spacer, open filter, bar end turn signals
  IP Logged
XxQualitySealxX
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 12/21/05 at 11:33:09

My father used to own a Yamaha XT 650 enduro that was kick only. It had an automatic compression release but the trick was to let the kick come all the way back up to resting before kicking it again... when I forgot to do that a few times I thought my leg would snap.

IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #22 - 12/21/05 at 14:11:59

Once you learn the procedure it is a breeze, it's the learning that can be painful  Grin.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
Trippah
Serious Thumper

I ride, therefore I
am.

central Mass
Reply #23 - 12/21/05 at 16:40:35

As I approach 60, I find kick starting my butt in the mornng about all I'm up for.  I remember stalling a bike near Fenway Park in the middle of a major intersection-Oh joy, kickstarting in front of a crowd--most of who would just as soon run you over Cheesy. I thank heavens for the button.  Now, can we just up the temp a little before the battery discharges..

IP Logged
penguinsscareme
YaBB Newbies
2005 No Login

In the words of
Socrates:  I drank
WHAT?

New Hampshire
Reply #24 - 12/24/05 at 10:48:41

SavagePielk wrote on 12/31/69 at 16:00:12:
there actually is a kickstartkit available for Savage but it's $2500...  Angry

Available from where?  No, I don't have 2500 to drop on a kicker, but I'm curious enough to want to see how it's set up.

O Lord,
Thine ocean is so great,
And my boat is so small.
  IP Logged
Boxer
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 12/26/05 at 09:11:37

In 1976 I owned a used ('73) Harley Superglide (1200 twin) that had no electric starter. It wasn't really that hard to start. I just had to stand up on the kicker and come down pretty hard and firm. It usually started on the first kick.

I wouldn't imagine the thumper would be too difficult. I wish all bikes had backup kick starters.

IP Logged
Kaishaku
2005 No Login

Reply #26 - 12/26/05 at 10:27:25

Anyone have a kick-start bike near Orlando?  It's now a life goal that I kick start a bike.  Grin

IP Logged
barb36jack31
2005 No Login

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Heathrow, FL
Reply #27 - 12/29/05 at 19:01:51

As a young sailor in the early 50's,I had a number of four stroke singles whiile stationed in southern Cal.  Great bikes but each had its own starting drill....Retard the spark, pull in on the compression release and roll her over to tdc.  Heave up and come down on the kick-starter with all youv'e got and Follow Through!... There would than be a moment of truth.  Either the bike would go THUMP, THUMP, THUMP, or you would do the fastest one-legged deep knee bend in history!  This was no time to be cautious.  Any half-way approach would get the H... kicked out of you.  Once you got the hang of it, there was no sweat.  The old 500cc thumpers would start on the first kick as a rule.

I have never fallen out of love with the big singles and my recent ownership of  a Suzuki GN 400, Honda NX650, Honda GB 500, Suzuki DR 650, Kawasaki KLR 650,  and now my Suzuki S-40 have attested to this.  My old bikes of my youth, a Norton ES2 500, Ariel Red Hunter 500, and a BSA Gold Star 500 TT were wonderful, but the newer ones are a lot more civilized.

Sorry for the long dissertation, but this link regarding starting the big singles just brought back so many memories.

Ride safe and have a Happy New Year.

Jack H.

05 S40 , air needle adjustment, white spacer, 152.5 main jet, K&N filter, SuperTrapp muffler, Progressive shocks , sissy bar off
  IP Logged
sluggo
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

big singles lead,
twins follow the
pack

moses lake washington
Reply #28 - 12/29/05 at 19:07:33

so  ya got a gn400   x  or t.  

i had a t   that i rode for 98,000 miles.  

killed the engine but still got lots of good parts.  gimme a shout if ya need anything.

SINGLES RULE, HARLEYS DROOL

IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #29 - 12/30/05 at 04:42:27

ShockedJack ... you once owned a Honda GB500?? Wow, please tell us about it! The GB is one of my all-time fave Bikes ... but sadly they were never available in Canada ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/25/24 at 02:15:37

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › Kicking over a big thumper

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.