Donate!
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register :: View Members
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What Tool Buying Mistake Have You Made? (Read 271 times)
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
What Tool Buying Mistake Have You Made?
12/18/05 at 08:59:06

What's the most expensive tool you've ever bought (with good intentions) and have never used?

Me?

It was a Colortune kit.

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&RS...

It seemed like a good idea almost 20 years ago (spent about $30.00 on it then) but it still sits in my toolbox drawer, unused.

FOR SALE HERE!

« Last Edit: 08/26/10 at 21:25:10 by Digger »  

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
Savage_Rob
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Mechanically
Inclined Amateur

Texas (Dallas area)
Re: What Tool Buying Mistake Have You Made?
Reply #1 - 12/18/05 at 10:25:53

The Motion Pro Tappet Adjustment Wench Set

I bought this thinking it would be easier than the wrench and offset screwdriver routine.  It isn't with the Savage.  It's high quality but simply a bad choice for this bike.  Still, it should prove useful sometime.

1998|MAC muffler|ceramic coated header|K&N air filter|Amal Mk2 carb|Odyssey battery|iridium plug|NC windshield|Dunlop 491s|Superbrace|EBC brake rotor|12.5" Progressive shocks|Kuryakyn ISO grips
Savage_Rob RidingTX   IP Logged
Ed L.
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

"We All go a
Little Crazy
Sometimes"
Norman Bates

Sunny Florida
Reply #2 - 12/18/05 at 11:31:48

A high pressure airless paint sprayer for painting or staining houses. The pigments in the paint would clog up a filter after only a couple of minutes operation. Cost almost $200.00, would of been better off with rollers and paint brushes. Thing was a piece of junk.
 Automotive tools was a top dead center finder, you screw it into the plug hole and rotate the piston up till it hits the tip of the tool then back off on the tip and try it again. Somehow I don't like the idea of the piston hitting a sharp tip made of steel.

Silver '02, clubman handle bars, Cobra headlight, Sportster muffler, K+N stock air filter, 152.5 main, Superbrace, oil cooler, 1/2 inch aluminium plate forward controls, spark advance, goes like stink
  IP Logged
PerrydaSavage
Serious Thumper
Alliance Member

Riding "The
Rock"!

Republic of Newfoundland
Reply #3 - 12/23/05 at 09:40:35

"Gater Grip" ... whata piece of crap that is ...

Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure you are not, in fact, just surrounded by arseholes!
WWW   IP Logged
BS37066
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 12/23/05 at 09:44:32

The pipe wrenches that incorporate a rubber strap.  Seems like it ought to work.  ???

Any kitchen chopper gadget.  They never work either.

IP Logged
Digger
Serious Thumper
2005 No Login

Ya gotta be tough to
ride singles!

Colorado Springs, CO
Reply #5 - 08/26/10 at 21:25:41

I'm finally getting around to selling my ColorTune kit.

FOR SALE HERE!

Digger
2001, Metallic Glacial Blue, Raptor Petcock, Verslavy (first hole) (otherwise, mechanically, the bike is stock), 13,xxx miles
I don't own a cage.
www.astronautbiker.com
WWW   IP Logged
jspace
YaBB Newbies

SuzukiSavage.com
Rocks!

Reply #6 - 08/26/10 at 21:31:20

has anyone bought a motorcycle jack from harbor freight? i've heard good and bad and i'm planning on picking one up tomorrow.  hopefully it won't turn out to be a piece of crap.  i've never had any problems with their mechanical tools before.  don't think i would invest in any of their electric tools though.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #7 - 08/26/10 at 22:01:43

AS A bodyman, thereareseveral "specialtytools" needed to be fully equipped. Weall agreed to each buy some of them & share, so we didnt all have the samerarely used &expensive tools. I chose a tool that lays a lap flange into a sheet metal panel & punches holes in thin sheet metal, like a hole punch for paper, just by pivoting the jaws that pinch the flange. It cost around 60 bux. I used it once as a bodyman. It takes up a good bitO room in the tool box. Its been used a couple of times, since I quit doing body work for a living, but it hasnt even come close to paying for itself, but, Ill be patient. Ive only had it about 30 years,,,

Ohh, interested potential future owners CAN PM me with an offer...

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
stinger
Serious Thumper

I love YaBB 1G -
SP1!

Reply #8 - 08/27/10 at 01:23:04

i have a jack from Harbor Freights and the problem is there isn't much frame under the Savage and it makes it unstable. I guess its pretty solid and works on most other bikes but not ours.

IP Logged
justin_o_guy2
Serious Thumper

What happened?

East Texas, 1/2 dallas/la.
Reply #9 - 08/27/10 at 01:32:28

Could you fab up clamps to hold the frame on the jack?

The people never give up their liberties but under some delusion.- Edmund Burke.
  IP Logged
Oldfeller--FSO
Serious Thumper
ModSquad

Hobby is now
"concentrated
neuropany"

Fayetteville, NC
Reply #10 - 08/27/10 at 03:26:34

Yep, Savage feels a little teetery up on any form of lift, so you rope it down so it can't go anywhere.

Trick on a Harbor Freight lift is to rope it off with an inch of lift still remaining, then finish the last inch of lift pulling the ropes nice and tight.

I've also learned to take the time to put 2 tie downs per side when doing any heavy torque work like rear tire nut removal.  Rear tire removal causes a weight shift on the entire bike, so two tie downs per side is definitely needed !!!

I have changed the rear tire with the wooden pivot jack and with this one, so I can say that getting enough lift to GET THE TIRE OUT FROM UNDER THE FENDER is a good thing (with the wooden pivot I had to remove the liscense plate bracket to get the tire outta there).

Cost is considerably different though -- wooden pivot jack cost like $5 to make, bike jack was $275 to buy.

I considered a rafter lift, but didn't go that way since I leave a bike on the lift for weeks at a time when working on it.  Plus with the HF lift you can wheel the bike around and move it sideways, etc as needed.

(just remember to rope the sucker down good with two ties per side before doing so or you'll be picking it up off the floor)

Former Savage Owner
  IP Logged
bill67
Serious Thumper

old  tired

genoa city wisconsin
Reply #11 - 08/27/10 at 04:14:15

Digger wrote on 08/26/10 at 21:25:41:
I'm finally getting around to selling my ColorTune kit.

FOR SALE HERE!

I had one of those about 30 years ago.

william h krumpen
  IP Logged
ls650v

97 savage

Clinton Twp, MI
Reply #12 - 08/27/10 at 04:57:02

There are no tool buying mistakes   Grin

IP Logged
jef.savage
Serious Thumper

ridin' n slidin'

Boston, MA
Reply #13 - 08/27/10 at 06:11:04

I bought a 17mm deep socket because Clymer's says the Savage spark plug takes one.  Looked all over for a 17mm spark plug socket but couldn't find one.  Duh!

IP Logged
spacepirates
Serious Thumper

Igni Ferroque

Pittsburgh, PA
Reply #14 - 08/27/10 at 06:11:24

not buying enough of them Sad

--
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks his head out of a car window.
  IP Logged
Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print

« Home

« Home
SuzukiSavage.com
09/24/24 at 08:29:55

General CategoryRubber Side Down! › What Tool Buying Mistake Have You Made?

SuzukiSavage.com » Powered by YaBB 2.2!
YaBB © 2000-2007. All Rights Reserved.